Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice from Montreal dog owners needed please :D

jiorji
March 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
hiya

well background story is that I'm a first time dog owner and I will be moving to montreal for school. Now i THINK i know what i want as far as dog breeds go. Too bad I can't have them all.
All i need now is tips on some things from dog owners who live in Montreal. :eek:

1)Anything i should know of before getting a dog in Montreal? :confused: such as certain dog breed bans or whatnot?
2) best dog parks...(trying to get a place near a good park ;) )...although so far none of the rent places i found allow dogs..info on that too anyone??:D
3) are dogs allowed on buses or subways or trains?

hmmm what else was there??...anything else you can throw in would be great :D
...such as DOG FRIENDLY apartment buildings?? lol

twinmommy
March 22nd, 2005, 11:07 PM
Bigger dogs do better in apartments, but do you really have time for a dog with school? Or the extra $ that having a pet needs? (sorry if I'm prying-- but soo often students post that they can't afford basic things like spay/neuter and vaccs.) Apologizing in advance if I'm out of line.

I thought you could check out these sites for help with the pet friendly apartments.

www.louer.com
www.sublet.com
www.cityleases.com
www.dogfriendly.com

Good luck! :thumbs up

Prin
March 22nd, 2005, 11:28 PM
THe rules over here are (the ones I know off-hand anyway...)
- Max 2 dogs/household
- Dogs may be euthanized if they bite another human or animal
- You have to get a license ($25 or more) that is valid from Jan-Jan (go to Access Montreal or Mondou petstores or some vets too)
- You have to have a SPARE bag on you at all times, otherwise you can be fined (I learned that one from a policeman- so even if your dog goes once on a walk always and you bring one bag as a result, the cop can fine you on your way home)
- Dogs are allowed peeing anywhere on city property as long as dogs are not forbidden (signs)-- this includes up to 6 feet onto people's lawns-- learned that from a cop too... (My neighbors are MEAN)
- Leashes can't be longer than 2 metres
- MAKE SURE YOUR LEASE DOESN"T SAY "NO PETS"--- some landlords say they are ok but the lease says no pets and when there is an issue-- you will be the one in breach of your lease

Here is a list of some Montreal dog parks:
Dog Parks- Montreal (http://www11.ville.montreal.qc.ca/sherlock2/servlet/template/sherlock,AfficherDocumentInternet.vm/nodocument/199)

Although the best one is the Saint-Benoit one, which is the one I go to. I've been to a few in Montreal (none in the west island or laval) and this one is the best around here.

This is the site for the rules (only in French...)

Montreal Dog Rules (http://www11.ville.montreal.qc.ca/sherlock2/servlet/template/sherlock%2CAfficherDocumentInternet.vm/nodocument/195)

For housing-- it is very hard to find an apartment where dogs are allowed-- that is why this year we are moving into a house... But I wouldn't give you my apt as there is mold (although not as much as other MTL apts... there are noisy neighbors, a lazy landlord (who loves doggies...) and you can't get fire insurance here because there is a restaurant diagonally below and the floors are not fireproofed...) But, I will say that up here in Ahunstic, there are A LOT of dogs and most people are renters so there must be a lot of landlords here who are tolerant of dogs.

I found it easier to go to the Concordia student union website for off campus housing because you can actually search apts by animals. It is here:
ConU off-campus housing Search (http://hojo.csu.qc.ca/dev/hsearch.html)

I hope that is enough for now? By the way, our SPCA is always SUPER full, so you may think of adopting an older doggy here...

kayla
March 22nd, 2005, 11:42 PM
I'm also a student in Mtl. I found that there aren't many apt's downtown that allow dogs. Try a neighborhood a little further out and you should find something, and it will be cheaper rent if that's an issue. I'm living in Point Saint Charles (Charlevoix metro) and find there are many dogs in the neighborhood, and a few parks nearby. It is also much cheaper than most other neighborhoods (although slightly dingy). Verdun is nicer than Point Saint Charles though, which is one stop away. The Plateau is nice too if you can afford it, and you would be right near the "mountain" for nice dog walks. I don't think dogs are allowed on buses or metros.

Prin
March 22nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Ahuntsic is pretty cheap--- we pay $381/mo for a 3.5 (it's actually 2 big rooms with a dividy wall in between). My friend also just got an apt up here and hers is $450 unheated for a 3.5. It's a bit dusty up here if you rent near Lajeunesse or the Met- a lot of cars go by...

I couldn't live in the Plateau-- It seems that a lot of girls get raped there...

twinmommy
March 22nd, 2005, 11:47 PM
OOh! If your going to Concordia, you could rent a bachelor apt in a duplex in N.D.G....a MUCH more dogfriendly area than downtown, and then you'd also be near the Loyola campus and could take the shuttle bus to downtown classes anytime!!

Prin
March 22nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
loyola's way better than Sir George anyway

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 12:23 AM
You can see the dog park in the background here-- it's all grass and it's huge. That is why I say it's the best in Montreal.

jiorji
March 23rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
OOh! If your going to Concordia, you could rent a bachelor apt in a duplex in N.D.G....a MUCH more dogfriendly area than downtown, and then you'd also be near the Loyola campus and could take the shuttle bus to downtown classes anytime!!

concordia FINE ARTS thank you :P lol

and what's NDG??(silly out of towner lol)

jiorji
March 23rd, 2005, 01:15 AM
The Plateau is nice too if you can afford it, and you would be right near the "mountain" for nice dog walks. I don't think dogs are allowed on buses or metros.

i LOVE the "mountain". That would be a great doggie walk place. Not too far from Concordia either. I'm not set on living downtown. Although Downtown Montreal is WAY friendlier looking than downtown Toronto.

jiorji
March 23rd, 2005, 01:17 AM
Bigger dogs do better in apartments, but do you really have time for a dog with school?

yes i'll have time for the dog. I'm not a "study in the library" kinda student. I'd rather do it at home, or outside. Plus i'm a big introvert and it's a new town so adopting a dog would give the dog a better life and in return doggie will take me out on walks too :D Plus my piggy is ready for a new little brother or sister lol

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Yeah and here in Montreal, you don't have to worry that saying "Merry Christmas" might offend someone.;)

This is a very un-PC place, but if you don't speak French, you're going to have a hard time and better learn ASAP.

ETA: The last I heard, you can take an animal on public transportation as long as it fits in your lap, although this may have changed.

The only place I personally know of that has BSL is the city of Lachine.

Point St-Charles is very old and run down, but I doubt many people there would care if you have a dog.:)

Princesss04
March 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
No advice since I do not live there just wanted to say good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. I know how hard it is to find a "pet friendly" place. Maybe if you offer a down deposit they would consider it. :D

kayla
March 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
yes i'll have time for the dog. I'm not a "study in the library" kinda student. I'd rather do it at home, or outside. Plus i'm a big introvert and it's a new town so adopting a dog would give the dog a better life and in return doggie will take me out on walks too :D Plus my piggy is ready for a new little brother or sister lol

I found being a student was a great time to get a dog! I spend so much time at home studying and can always use a study break by training or walking her. Also, students aren't at a time in their life where they have much else going on (ie. kids, 9-5 jobs, etc) so you have even more time to devote to train your puppy (or make your dog feel welcomed if it you adopt an adult).

btw I think NDG is around Vendome metro station, and I have also heard it's a nice place to live.

SarahLynn123
March 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
I'm not a "study in the library" kinda student.

Neither am I, just a work of caution though, when I try to study at home Belle sits on the floor beside my chair and does this long drawn out growl to get my attention so I will play and cuddle her. Makes it very hard to study. Have lots of special toys and kongs on hand!

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm not in Quebec either, but I had a comment on the student thing..

I'm in my fourth year of university, and we got a 3 month old puppy in december. In hindsight it was a good and bad decision. It helped my roomate's depression and gave her more focus, but the time devoted to house training, and obedience training, and puppy play time in general was probably not the smoothest move for us.

It is hard to write an essay while the puppy is looking for cuddles or a playmate. I love her to bits. I am glad we got her, but I'm glad that we got her so close to the end of undergrad. Even a whole year of split focus would have been kind of bad.

I'm not trying to be a downer.. I just found as I was looking back on the last 3-4 months that getting a pup had good points and bad points.. We knew that it was going ot take a signifigant amount of time, and we did do our research first, but no matter how much research I did, it is one of those things that you'll never be 100% prepaired for.

jiorji
March 23rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
ETA: The last I heard, you can take an animal on public transportation as long as it fits in your lap, although this may have changed.

do you know where i can find exact information on that? the metro website doesn't say much about animals

badger
March 23rd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Here's the website:

http://www.stcum.qc.ca/index.htm

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Ya I just looked and there is no info about dogs on their site-- no info about rollerblades and I know those are not allowed. Maybe call 514-AUTOBUS. I think it's safe to say you'd better be ready to talk to them in French...

By the way-- NDG is a bit West of Decarie and North of the 20. The town just east of Montreal West.

I agree with the puppy thing. We got one dog at the SPCA at 6 months and the other off a lady moving to Australia at 1.5 years. I don't think I could handle the puppy stage right now. I don't have the time. My older doggies sleep whenever I have to do work (every time I sit at the computer, they bugger off. It would take a while for a puppy to understand your routine... Or lack thereof as a student...

SarahLynn123
March 23rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
I'm not in Quebec either, but I had a comment on the student thing..

I'm in my fourth year of university, and we got a 3 month old puppy in december. In hindsight it was a good and bad decision. It helped my roomate's depression and gave her more focus, but the time devoted to house training, and obedience training, and puppy play time in general was probably not the smoothest move for us.

It is hard to write an essay while the puppy is looking for cuddles or a playmate. I love her to bits. I am glad we got her, but I'm glad that we got her so close to the end of undergrad. Even a whole year of split focus would have been kind of bad.

I'm not trying to be a downer.. I just found as I was looking back on the last 3-4 months that getting a pup had good points and bad points.. We knew that it was going ot take a signifigant amount of time, and we did do our research first, but no matter how much research I did, it is one of those things that you'll never be 100% prepaired for.

Ive never had a puppy and probably wont for years, I adopted Belle in November and she will be 7 years old this year. She has the perfect amount of energy and naps that fit my schedule and allows me to study after a trip off leash. I highly recommend getting an older dog. I have never regreted my decision, and am even considering getting another old gal. about 8 or so years old. Maybe within the year when we have more time.
Hope you find you dog!

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
I don't regret it, but if we were to do it again, I'd be pushing for an older dog to avoid the puppy stages, especially while in school.

SpanielLuver
March 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
Prin, just to let you and others all know there is a huge dog park on the West Island off the 40West at the Chemin St. Marie exit. It is fabulous and rarely is there many people there. Its a great place to take the dog on the weekend if you don't live near a dog park, there is also a movie theater and stores, including a Tim Horton's right next to it. The dogs get a good run and you get a Timmies. There are also a few apartment places on the West Island that allow dogs too. Beaconsfield being one, with access to the train downtown and buses.

jiorji
March 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
yeah i want to get an older doggie too. They'll all puppies to me even if they're 8 years old LOL

i REALLY wanna get a sheltie but if I can't take it on the subway to travel to different parks and such i might get a daschound. But i'm really afraid of their back problem issues. I'm thinking that a dog in a bag would be ok on the subway lol but 'm not sure how successful i will be at getting a doggie carrier bag big enough for a sheltie. Not sure how big or light they are. I've only seen them as puppies.

thanks for the replies all :D

kayla
March 23rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
one thing i find VERY useful is having a backyard. also, if you shared an apartment with other animal lovers it could really help. i have a roommate and bf who made raising a puppy much easier, no way i could have done it alone! also, do you have a car? if not make sure you are close to the vet. i don't have a car but have a bf with one which makes life MUCH easier. if you can afford one i highly recommend it, even an old beater just to get to big parks and back (insurance is quite cheap on old cars in Mtl, don't know what it's like in ontario).

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM
yeah i want to get an older doggie too. They'll all puppies to me even if they're 8 years old LOL

i REALLY wanna get a sheltie but if I can't take it on the subway to travel to different parks and such i might get a daschound. But i'm really afraid of their back problem issues. I'm thinking that a dog in a bag would be ok on the subway lol but 'm not sure how successful i will be at getting a doggie carrier bag big enough for a sheltie. Not sure how big or light they are. I've only seen them as puppies.

thanks for the replies all :D
Shelties should fit in one of the bigger dog carrier bags. What about a PUG? I love pugs-- they rarely bark... I think a sheltie qualifies as small enough to fit on your lap.

I didn't know about the parks in the west island-- I think it's great if you have access to a good one. I'll have to come see it one day. I will be moving to laval and from what I have heard, there is only one and it's not well maintained and pretty disgusting... I'll just have to keep coming to MTL...

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Shelties, in general, are big barkers - not really good for apartments. Prin's suggestion of a pug is a good one.:)

jiorji
March 23rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
cars and insurance add up to a never ending hole in my bank account. Guess i'll have to find a bf with a car. He should also be a dog walker LOL

and pugs don't do well in heat i read cos of their nose. So if i go camping with my dog i'd like it to enjoy it as much as me :D

The more i research on what dog to get and the information i need the more i feel like I'm going round and round in circles :( or that it's not gonna work out the way I want it to. sigh

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 10:42 PM
My black husky/lab mix is horrible in the heat-- her coat is dense and black-- I just keep her wet from June 15th to August 31st...

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
By the way, as far as I know, the main reasons for dogs over heating are running on asphalt or hiking for long times with no water breaks. THere should be no reason why you couldn't take any dog camping with you, you would just have to take it easier and more water breaks depending on the doggy you chose.
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/campfire.gif

twinmommy
March 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM
The more i research on what dog to get and the information i need the more i feel like I'm going round and round in circles or that it's not gonna work out the way I want it to. sigh

awww don't get discouraged. Just keep in mind the things that are most important to you. It's a lot to be researching right now, a new school, a new town, AND a new pet.

Breathe.

Take things slower. Look after yourself first. All my pets just kinda "came along". If you force it, it won't be right anyways. I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say going round in circles. Take a step back. Regroup. Remember what you really want. Take a break from things, nothing has to be solved "NOW", some days you can't shed any light on things, and other days you could have 8 different "breakthroughs" before lunch, you know what I mean?

Breathe. :thumbs up :D :thumbs up

jiorji
March 24th, 2005, 01:08 PM
that's true twinmommy :D

kayla
March 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I don't know if you figured out the dogs on transit thing yet but today I saw a man with a miniature schnauzer in his suitcase on the metro, so either it's allowed or tolerated!

Prin
March 24th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Well if you go in the metro with rollerblades, you'll get ambushed by metro rent-a-cops, so if the doggy-wielding man didn't get mauled, I'm guessing it was ok.

As for choosing a dog, you just have to fall for a few breeds, set your sights on them, know them really well and how well they would fit into your life. Then go to the SPCA or other rescue and get the doggy that you fall in love with. I mean, I am pretty set in my likes and dislikes as far as breed characteristics go for my lifestyle so when I walk in, I am immediately drawm to doggies with those particular characteristics. Just my opinion.. of course...

JDG
March 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I asked an officer in the Metro about animals. They must be in a covered carrier. No animals loose in handbags or no animals just on leads - except for working dogs.

jiorji
March 26th, 2005, 07:11 PM
crap!! i guess that limits my choices of traveling around Montreal.