Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Remedial cat training

cmt489
March 22nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Hello all - after a long break from this board I am back to seek some advice... My boyfriend's cats need some "remedial" training (and he agrees). They are 5 years old and absolute love bugs, however, it seems that they missed a few manners classes when they were younger. They simply will not stay off counters or out of food. I have purchased a water sprayer for when they are caught (tonight will be the first night) but am wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for teaching them to stay off the counters (or at least pretend when we are there - let's face it, they are cats and I really do not delude myself as to their "obedience").

I have never had to deal with this with adult cats since I have always trained my cats from kittenhood that the kitchen counter is a place where they are not allowed to be. I am at a loss on how to deal with this. My boyfriend has agreed that this is an issue that needs to be addressed as they are getting worse.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Michelle

Safyre
March 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Sorry, I'm nto sure how to assist. I have trained my cats from kittens not to be on counters as well.
Water bottle is a good idea, when they do it in your presence.

Wondering, and maybe someone else can help me, I know that you can get some spray stuff that tastes really bad. Wondering if you could use this as a deterent.
example: Spray some of this bad tasting spray unto some aluminum foil. Let the cats lick it, and they will realize it tastes bad.
Then, use aluminum foil at the edge of your counters, so that they will be hesitent to jump up, or get that taste (because if they step in it, they'll get it on thier paws and taste it).

Hmm, as i was typing that... can anyone think of something cats hate to walk on? you could use something they hate to walk on, put it on the counter.
Each of the above will teach them to keep off, and thne you can take the item away, and hopefully they will stay off.

*shrugs* hopefully others will post with better suggestions!

Lucky Rescue
March 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM
Cats do only what works and what gives them pleasure.

If food was ever left on the counter, then that trained them to jump up there.

Don't do anything harsh to them as that can cause stress, make them fear you, or result in avoidance of the litterbox.

What you can do is deter them without them knowing that YOU did anything!

First of all, make sure no food is left on counters. Get some double sided sticky tape and put a few rows on the counter. Cats despise anything sticking to their feet, so jumping on the counter will now become unpleasant for them but they won't associate it with you. :D

cmt489
March 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks LR! And don't worry, nothing harsh for these guys. They are dolls - however, dolls with no boudaries!

I must confess, however, I have never dealt with such food aggressive cats (and no, they are not being underfed - or overfed - so this is not the reason). I am so used to my complacent little Nadia who will barely eat anything that these guys are really quite a shock for me! Heaven forbid that we ever end up living together as Nadia may end up starving to death while his two become big chubbos! Oh well, at least Oliver is able to defend his dish around them...

Eleni
March 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I agree cats should be taught from day 1 to not jump on the counters.

with my cats a loud noise always worked to deter them from doing something wrong

Eleni

Britishvixen21
March 29th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Although weve never had trouble with Mya on the counter, she does have a bad habit of getting up on the bookcase and knocking over hubbies beloved models. we used started to click our fingers when she went up there with a stern NO. she seems to be getting the idea and connecting the clicking with being bad. IT may work, but I know with Mya we can only do it when we catch her in the act, and as much as I know shes there as soon as I get up to go click shes down sitting there looking very innocent.

SarahLynn123
March 29th, 2005, 03:46 PM
We use a quick HEY and then I remove him from the table never letting him get away it. He will still test me on occation to see if Im serious. Jumps on the table then looks right at me and waits until I get up. Now both the dog and cat walk on their hind legs so they can see whats on the coffee table but never putting their paws on it. So cute!

glasslass
March 29th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Sorry! this just hit home!

Safyre
March 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
LOL perfect glasslass, just perfect