Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shepherd Shedding

SarahLynn123
March 22nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
How much does a German Shepherd shed? Im assuming it would be more then my cockerspaniel x. Do they leave hair everywhere and you need to vaccuum everyday type of thing?
(There is an 8 year old X at the Cochrane Humane Society)
Thanks
Sarah

GsdDiamond
March 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
How much does a German Shepherd shed?
LOTS
Im assuming it would be more then my cockerspaniel x.
YES
Do they leave hair everywhere and you need to vaccuum everyday type of thing?
OH MY....YES!
(There is an 8 year old X at the Cochrane Humane Society)
Thanks
Sarah

Of course, ours is a long hair and she has extra hair to give! LOL :p

Seriously....GSDs do shed a lot, but if you pass a broom every couple of days, it's not that bad! Ours leaves little "dust-doggies" everywhere.... but it's this time of the year...isnt' it? :yuck:
I don't think a GSDx would be too bad.....really. It's nice of you to look at adopting an older dog. So many people foget about them! :thumbs up

SarahLynn123
March 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks! It is a shame people dont go for the older dogs. They are really missing out. We dont know for sure if we are ready for another dog yet, things are up in the air, but I was snooping where I shouldn't be and came accross a couple of oldies! Thanks for your response
Sarah

topaz_n29
March 22nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hi..I have a shep/rottie now 2 yrs. old..yes he's shedding..but i brush him outside(the birds love to gather the hair for their nests come spring).I also had a pb shep ..and 3 labs.in the past..good dogfood and brushing helps a lot. As we live in the bush it also helps mine a lot when they are outside..as they run thru the bush etc. I think it also depends on how much your dog is outside..ours is in and out..he hardly mats at all..more like fluffies..lol.if you look in pictures u will see Kassidy as he looks now..pic ws taken 2 weeks ago.
Make sure when u brush also..do so in short quick strokes..rather than long ones..takes it out a lot better.
This is only my opinions..i know u will receive a lot more..so go from there..gl..if u adopt.i always loved shep..or sheps x's :)

twinmommy
March 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM
*brushes off dog hair covered chair to sit and post*

Hi!!

Oh MY yes!! But I brush her outside right before her off leash (run) time and that seems to do wonders. :thumbs up

and mohair is making a comeback anyways!!

SarahLynn123
March 23rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
hahah thanks! I dont have a problem with the hair, but the bf does still have some allergies. They are not really a problem these days though! We talked about it and decided this is probably the worst time we could bring a new dog into the house. :sad: Too bad I really wanted to go get her. Hopefully when our schedules lighten up a bit I can find a doggy that will fit right in. Thanks again for your replies!
Sarah

mona_b
March 23rd, 2005, 07:46 PM
They sure do shed.LOL

I was raised with this breed and have raised 3 of my own.They shed all year round.And it does get worse in the spring when their winter coat sheds.This breed has a double coat.Even if they are a mix,and depending what breed they are mixed with,they still will shed.But not as much. :)

twinmommy
March 23rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
hee hee

hi Mona! You probably know more than I, but I think I can count 4 coats on Gypsy!!!(shep/CHOW!!!) ugh!! Add my Jake who's a collie/shep-- I'm working on making doghair fashionable!!

(put it this way, I'm wearing it anyways!!! ;) )

mona_b
March 28th, 2005, 12:55 AM
ROTFLMAO.

Too funny.

There is a woman in Vancouver who actually uses the fur from her 5 Newfies to make sweaters.She spins it herself and knits with it.That brought back a flashback to me.A friend of my aunts used to do the same with my aunts Newfie......LOL.

Hey,there's an idea for you..... :thumbs up

I'm a Medium..... :D :p

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM
hahah thanks! I dont have a problem with the hair, but the bf does still have some allergies. They are not really a problem these days though! We talked about it and decided this is probably the worst time we could bring a new dog into the house. :sad: Too bad I really wanted to go get her. Hopefully when our schedules lighten up a bit I can find a doggy that will fit right in. Thanks again for your replies!
Sarah
You're better to get a puppy. My boyfriend is allergic to the entire world and when we got Boo, we thought he was fully grown at 76 lbs but it turns out he was 6 months (we assume he stopped growing at 2...). We got our second dog at 1.5 years and he is much more allergic to her. Puppies just seem to have to grow into their allergens... So the boyfriend can be introduced gradually to the allergens over the course of the first year. Worked for my boyfriend anyway. He can breathe in Boo's fur and not get a bad allergic reaction.

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
You're better to get a puppy. My boyfriend is allergic to the entire world and when we got Boo, we thought he was fully grown at 76 lbs but it turns out he was 6 months (we assume he stopped growing at 2...). We got our second dog at 1.5 years and he is much more allergic to her. Puppies just seem to have to grow into their allergens... So the boyfriend can be introduced gradually to the allergens over the course of the first year. Worked for my boyfriend anyway. He can breathe in Boo's fur and not get a bad allergic reaction.

Really! I had no idea. Learn something new everyday! A couple reasons we are looking at older dogs, is: We feel we dont have the time to train a little puppy, we both work all day and come home for lunch. We are also factoring in having kids. Hes afraid that because he had such serious allergies to animals his children will aswell, so instead of the wait and see and rehome 3 or more animals if that is the case, we adopt older dogs that will cross the bridge before the time comes. Before we do adopt another dog, (we are thinking June!!!) should he go and spend some time with him/her to see how his allergies are, or is there a better way to go about finding out?

Thanks
Sarah

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
What about visiting people with certain breeds of dogs? Or visiting someone with a puppy?
Also- our big Boo was around 6 months and my boyfriend is less allergic. I assume that if you get a really young puppy it would be better for the allergies but at 6 months he was still enough of a puppy to reduce his allergies significantly (I think it's the puppy fur).

Older dogs also tend to have already really established their smells and they are much stronger. It might also turn your boyfriend against having a dog if you only have it for the saddest part...

Hey-- I don't know where you are but you can foster a Mira dog in Quebec for a year. You have to socialize the dog and train the dog and then you give it back to be trained to be a seeing eye dog or work with other people with disabilities. That way you could learn all there is to know about raising a puppy without the long term commitment and see if your man is allergic to even puppies.

SarahLynn123
March 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM
What about visiting people with certain breeds of dogs? Or visiting someone with a puppy?
Also- our big Boo was around 6 months and my boyfriend is less allergic. I assume that if you get a really young puppy it would be better for the allergies but at 6 months he was still enough of a puppy to reduce his allergies significantly (I think it's the puppy fur).

Older dogs also tend to have already really established their smells and they are much stronger. It might also turn your boyfriend against having a dog if you only have it for the saddest part...

Hey-- I don't know where you are but you can foster a Mira dog in Quebec for a year. You have to socialize the dog and train the dog and then you give it back to be trained to be a seeing eye dog or work with other people with disabilities. That way you could learn all there is to know about raising a puppy without the long term commitment and see if your man is allergic to even puppies.

We are in Calgary, but what an experience it would be to be able to foster a pup for a year! Something Id really love to do but dont know where to find info on.

I know its sad how I wrote why an older dog (I read over it). I think of it more like the dog would enjoy spending his last years in a warm home with lots of walks and playing rather then in a pen at the shelter or pts if its a kill shelter. (I dont know how else to write it so it doesn't sound so sad!) We do have one dog at home, a 7 year cockerpaniel X, she hasn't been shedding at all, so shes not usually a problem for him.

Thanks for all your help!
Sarah

Lea
March 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM
My vote is to get the dog, and get rid of that troublesome boyfriend : ) And of COURSE I am joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of my pets have been adoptees, ranging from 15 months to 5 years of age when we got them. Cute little puppies are quick to get adopted, while the older ones linger for so long at the shelters sometimes, and are put down unfortunately. I like knowing that we took animals that might not have been adopted otherwise, and make their adult years a beautiful time for them, and for us as well.

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

SarahLynn123
March 31st, 2005, 12:36 PM
My vote is to get the dog, and get rid of that troublesome boyfriend : ) And of COURSE I am joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of my pets have been adoptees, ranging from 15 months to 5 years of age when we got them. Cute little puppies are quick to get adopted, while the older ones linger for so long at the shelters sometimes, and are put down unfortunately. I like knowing that we took animals that might not have been adopted otherwise, and make their adult years a beautiful time for them, and for us as well.

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

hahah Im going to bring up that point with him! If he doesn't start agreeing with all of my ideas he can hit the road!!!!!!!!! I think the same as you when it comes to adopting older animals. Hes never had pets growing up, so Im thinking the size of her may intimidate him. I am working on him, and he is comming around! yay Im getting exciting, hopefully I dont get let down!
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!

Lea
March 31st, 2005, 01:05 PM
Hey, also remind him how GSDs are so protective of their packs. So, when he can't be with you, you will have a guardian!

SarahLynn123
March 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Hey, also remind him how GSDs are so protective of their packs. So, when he can't be with you, you will have a guardian!

I like! So if he really cared about me Shadow would be moving in!!
Thanks, maybe this will help persuade him, and I will know for sure how much he cares about me.....hummm......this could be a win win situation. If he cared enough about my safety we would get her, if he doesn't then he will have to move out and I can get her!
Thanks Lea