Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ferox update

lilith_rizel
March 22nd, 2005, 12:48 AM
We have made our move to Minnesota now. Both Cano and Ferox did well on the trip. We got home on Saturday night. This afternoon I brought Ferox into the vet for a check up and physical. He has a clean bill of health for the most part. He has ear mites really bad. Our vet Russ thinks that he has had them for atleast a year. They were so bad that it was affecting his hearing. which caused him to be more frighteded. He also said that the cuts behind his ears are fom hiim scratching, and not a cat fight. and the wound in his leg does look like a pellet gun wound. He took care of the mites, cleaned the wounds, and put himan antibiotics. He is still intact. So in a few months, when I have this vet bill payed off, I will get him neutered and shots given. Russ did have to sedate Ferox, which was nice, because I was able to give him a bath to get him all nice and clean.

I have just gotten back up from seeing him.. He is staying in the bathroom for now. He now lets me pet behind his ears, and he actually enjoys it I think. No purring yet though. I do give him a couple drops of Rescue Remedy everyday, and that has seemed to help too.

lilith_rizel
March 22nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
I forgot to mention that he is also going blind in his left eye. The area is about the size of 1/5 of a pencil eraser

Dahlia
March 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Poor baby. I'm glad you're taking good care of him. Will he be able to hear better once the earmites are cleared up? Sophie had earmites, too, when I took her to the vet, but she's just a baby so they weren't that bad. When we lived on the farm we were constantly having to treat the animals for earmites.

Dahlia
March 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM
Oh, I forgot, I was gonna ask if you had any new pics of him.

lilith_rizel
March 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
I would post pictures, but when I moved, I forgot to pack the USB cord for the camera :rolleyes: Guess they will have to wait until I go back to visit James

Yeah that is what Russ said. Russ said he pulled out over 2 dozen on one swab, when he was checking for earmites. Have you ever seen those things under a microscope. Russ had me look, to see what they look like. Those things are nasty looking. :yuck:

Ferox is still very calm, and his tranquilizer has completely worn off. I cas scratch him under his chin now. He did however hiss at my mom, but he isn't used to seeing her, yet. But I told her that it will take time.

But I should get going. I am going to pick up the house a bit, plus I have to pick up my sisters from school at 3, and visit my teachers from Highschool. They have been dying to see Judith.

Princesss04
March 22nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
I am glad to hear that things are going good for you and your fur babies! Keep us posted on this. Hope you have a wonderful day! :D