Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats your environmental footprint?

Shamrock
March 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Well, its not Earth Day, but as this season of rebirth and renewal gets underway, this quiz seems kind of appropriate. :)

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

I scored an 8.5. ( too much meat and dairy products consumed) :(
:ca:

Sneaky2006
March 21st, 2005, 03:51 PM
8.5... is that your total footprint??

sammiec
March 21st, 2005, 03:55 PM
I'm a 7.8. That can't be that good... :sad:

Shamrock
March 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM
Yes.. that was the total for me, Sneaky. Seemed an average score... for North America that is.. :ca: .

melanie
March 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM
these things are fun, as an environmental scientist you see a few and i always score well, oh yes i am very proud of the small size of my ecological footprint, for this test i scored 2.5 which i think is pretty bad. there is another one around that determines when you should die according to your resource use, on that one i can live till im about 100.

but i am vegetarian, i recycle everything i can find, i use green power ( energy generated from renewable sources), i take part in a variety of conservation projects, i do not have air conditioners, fly spray (well a little that is rarely used, dont tell my husband he would freak if he knew i had it in the house ha ha) no dryers,. electric blankets, compost etc etc. and my car is more effecient than the new prius hybrid of which i am very proud. we have made a big effort to live our lives by our beliefs and practices, its easy once you get rolling. and with effort we can get better.

but it is important to note that certain countires produce larger ecological foot prints than others, im sure this one accounts for that. the USA and India have the biggest footprints for individuales.

did anyone see the recent report on global dimming in relation to warming, just terrifying, but if you can detach yourself emotionally, the destruction of the environment from a scientific perspective is just bloody fascinating and interesting :D (hey it makes me feel better) i dont think alot of people realise the pain associated with this field and issue, it sucks. boy ignorance is bliss.

but mother earth has many ways of dealing with us, the polluters and destroyers of her life blood, thats right, its called global warming and sea level rise, oh and then an ice age, yep shes not dumb, but its funny that we are slowly but surely pushing her to a point where she will kill us, dont worry she can regenerate herself when were gone, its jsut the silly humans shortening their own lives that is the strange thing.

side note, hey guys i got a job this week, yes as an Environmental consultant, good pay and unbelievable that i finally got a job, i'll start a thread :D

Princesss04
March 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Ummmm you scored a 8????? Here is what it told me....

5.9 Food
0.2 Mobility
13.1 Shelter
12.1 Good/Services
=31 Total

If everyone lived like you, we would need 7.1 planets.

This can not be good. :confused: :sad: :eek: I am a bad person. :confused: :sad:

chico2
March 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
8.1 for me,probably because of driving a lot...

Princesss04
March 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM
Guys how are you getting that low of a score? What am I doing wrong? :confused:

melanie
March 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM
but if you live in america it will score higher for you due to the way your power, ag cropping, pestacides etc is produced. so dont feel bad, hassle your government to reduce such areas. (or dare i say it, SIGN THE KYOTO PROTOCOL, not that we have but howard wont till his buddy bush will, jsut stupid).

as i said i am a vego (meat production one of the biggest polluters, land clearers and problems), recycle everything, live like a cave woman (joking, sorta)and go out of my way to live a life that is designed to reduce my ecological foot print. that is why i scored so low and i would be shocked if i got higher than that, i also live in australia and have different options of energy production etc. but i can very proudly boast that through recycling we only put out or proper garbage bin every 6-8 weeks, that is my boasting point and something i am very proud of, but that can be improved, i should aim for 10weeks.

but if you make a concerted effort to stick to the 4 R's (rethink, reduce, reuse and recycle) and for example look at how you use electricity and fuel, look at the packaging you buy and see if there are areas you can work on you can reduce yours too, its easy if you try..

also shop with the environment in mind, there are heaps of products with little packaging, or none at all such as vegetables. it really kills me when you see a packet of biscuits and all the bikkies in the box are individually wrapped in plastic, it jsut seems really dumb and wasteful.

i was always told as a child, 'waste not want not' and i think that is very true in an environmental and recycling sense.

AND DONT TAKE PLASTIC BAGS, USE CALICO OR SIMILAR, PLASTIC BAGS ARE JUST SO DANGEROUS FOR THE ENVIRONMENT And ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR A VAST AMOUNT OF WASTE AND POLLUTION (yes plastic also drives me insane ahhhhhh).

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 04:55 PM
I got a 3 :confused: maybe I did wrong ?

raingirl
March 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM
I got 2.6

Probably could have got it lower, but I have a gas guzzler for a car.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.5

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 0.4

GOODS/SERVICES 0.5

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.6

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM
OMG princess04, I would try again, maybe thats wrong !

Sneaky2006
March 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
FOOD 3.7

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 4.7

GOODS/SERVICES 4.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 13

13????? Why do I always have to be the worst??

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
Sneaky, don't feel bad poor princess04 got a higher score then you.

raingirl
March 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM
You will get a high number if you drive a lot, live in a house, and eat meat most of the time. Those things make a huge impact on the world. I only eat meat a few times a week, and don't eat anything processed. I buy only local foods (like Ontario grown) and I only drive to and from work, which is close by. And because I live in an apartment, it's better for the environment.

I'm like you Melanie. I am an environment freak. I HATE, and I mean HATE HATE HATE SUV's and other large vehicles!!! I want to shoot the people driving them when I see only one or two people in them. CARPOOL PEOPLE! If you need an SUV for hockey or stuff when you need a lot of room fine, but if you have to go to the store for milk, get a small enviro car for stuff like that!! I try and buy things in bulk to save on waste. I re-use everything. You know all those foam meat trays? Wash them really well with bleach, and give them to your local school for crafts. Same with almost anything that goes in your recycling box....cans, jars, all those are great for crafts.

Actually, anyone know a good place to buy a paper schredder? I have been wanting to get one for a while, but all the ones I see are over $50. I was going to get a cross shredder, and you can donate the shreds to schools/girl guides. Just add water in a blender to the shreds and you can make home made paper for crafts.

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
Hey raingirl, I think grand&toy sometimes has paper shredders on sale for under $50.00, I think walmart may have them cheaper then that as well.

melanie
March 21st, 2005, 05:15 PM
kmart in australia had a paper sredder for $25, you ahve kmart there i think, check it out. (worms love shreeded paper, perhaps a worm farm, they are cute and give lots of excellent juices and casting for plants).

:p i am not an environmental freak, i am jsut a freak in general :D (only joking, i did not take offense, i know exactly what you mean and i agree :p ).

in fact i am a conservationsit that lives by her beliefs. someone called me a greeny the otherday, i nearly ran them over buggers, i am strictly a normal person that does not waste and can understand that without care, the environment will not care for us (poor crops due to polluted water, global warming etc). we rely on the environment for life, simple as that. without a healthy env we all die, so it seems logical to care for the system that supports you, ie dont s%^& where you eat and dont bite the hand that feeds. but oddly enough many humans dont seem to care or get it, humans are jsut the strangest animal of the animal kingdom bloody fascinating the lot of us.

sneaky my love :angel: , now now there, remember you ahve a small child, so that will increase your driving, packaging etc, so dont panic too much. jsut look at your systems and see where they can be improved. doesnt matter the size of your footprint, we still love ya to bits, cheeky chicken :D :grouphug:

Sneaky2006
March 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
You're so sweet, Mel.. thank you!! :love:

Prin
March 21st, 2005, 10:36 PM
I actually didn't do too bad:
FOOD 2.2
MOBILITY 0.2
SHELTER 1.1
GOODS/SERVICES 1
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 4.5

But I live in a 2.5, drive a tiny sedan and don't eat meat too often. It's not a precise enough test because there is no "eat meat 1-2times/week, consume dairy 5-9 times/day"... If they had that, my score would be way higher.

Safyre
March 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM
I wasn't sure what this thread was going to be about... pretty kewl.
Got FOOD 1.8

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 0.7

GOODS/SERVICES 0.7

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.2

my car has great milage and i don't have a big city to drive around in anyways... lol

Princesss04
March 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
Okay guys I went in and took the test again (I had my house square foot off BIG TIME Justin said) and here is what it said... Not goo but sure bets in the 30's

Food.. 5.4
Mobility.. 0.2
Shelter.. 4.4
Goods/Service.. 4.2

Total 14

Looks a lot better but still not that good. I have to start trying more I guess. The thing that kills me is the meat and the house size. :eek: :sad:

deerclan
March 22nd, 2005, 02:37 AM
CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 2.2

MOBILITY 0.7

SHELTER 0.7

GOODS/SERVICES 1.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 5

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

for a large family such as mine 5 is realy good but there is lots of room for approvment.
2 adults
7 kids
2 dogs
1 cat
1 bird