Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

smelly kitty.....really smelly kitty

Ghullums_mom
March 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
ok, so my kittens are almost 5 weeks old and i still feed my mommy the canned food and the wet food cause she still nurses from time to time....but she smells so bad...its aweful.. i think its gas but i dont know. is this normal for mommys cause shes cleaning them alot or is it the canned food... if its the canned food how long does she need the extra food. *shell be mad when i take her off it cause she loves it* i cant take the smell anylonger. any advice?
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

chico2
March 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Ghullums mom,I have no experience with new kitty-moms,but my cats have always eaten canned and dry food,no smell..maybe it's a gland-thing,after birthing :confused:

Dahlia
March 21st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, what does she smell like? What kind of canned food are you feeding her? My MIL feeds her cat canned food and if he gets the tuna kind he stinks, but the veal smells okay.

chico2
March 21st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Where does she stink from,her mouth,her butt,or her whole body??.....bad breath after eating canned fish is perfectly normal.

Ghullums_mom
March 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM
she smells from the back end i think. im not willing to stick my nose anywere near it to know for sure. she gets friskies. one can a day. and i cant wait till shes done needing the extra nutrition. im hoping its the caned food

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2005, 07:08 PM
If the kittens are 5 weeks old, then the mom is either coming into heat soon, or may already be in heat.

Cats get uterine infections the same as dogs. She needs to be spayed anyway, so make an appointment and have her checked out at the same time.

Eating Friskies does NOT make cats smell bad.

Ghullums_mom
March 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM
so why is she sto stinky? i dont think her going into heat has anything to do with it, shes been rank since after the kittens were born. and she will be spayed when i can afford it.

Lizzie
March 21st, 2005, 08:52 PM
All anyone can do here is hypothesize. I suggest you take her to the vet--perhaps a bacteria of some sort. Obviously spaying is in order sooner than later for her own health--and this could possibly end the smell.

chico2
March 22nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
I agree,eating canned food does not make a cat smell,other than"fishy"breath if they eat fish,my cats have always eaten canned and dry and never smell.
She could have an infection and the sooner you bring her to the vet the better.

Dahlia
March 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
I agree, if the smell is coming from her back end she may have a bacterial infection in the birth canal or something similar. Better to get her checked out.