Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

animal hair gets vacume stoped up

vegan
March 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
I need a new vacume the one I just got can't handle the cat hair. :sad: Anyone know of a good one cheap?

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
I got mine at sears(kenmore) and it died after 2 years (cat fur !!) even though it only had a 1 year waranty, the let me exchange it for a new one! They really stand behind their products !

maddoxies
March 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
I swear by my Kirby. I know that they are outrageously expensive if you buy a new one, but I bought a refurbished one (with a guarantee) and it was not too bad. I got all the toys with it, but you can get just the basic machine. Check the yellow pages for vacuum dealers.

Trinitie
March 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
I've got a Dirt Devil upright full size, and it just kicks butt!

maddoxies
March 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hey, what do you expect, Dirt Devil is Golden Retriever endorsed !! ;) :thumbs up

Trinitie
March 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
LOL! I should have known! Why don't you have a DD then? Kirby? Those really are kick a$$ vaccums.

Eleni
March 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
I have a dirt devil ultra light and it stands up to the fur of 3 cats, i ahve to change the bag ALOT but it gets the fur up for sure

Eleni

Bearsmom
March 21st, 2005, 01:34 PM
I have a Eureka bagless upright, it's great because there's no bags to change, you just empty the container-sucks up all the hair from 2 dogs and one cat, and the debris from a rambunctious 2 year old. Paid $79 for it.

Princesss04
March 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM
I grew up with a Kirby and now that I am married have one as well! They cost more but they are awesome and with all Meater's hair they need to be. LOL :D

goldenblaze
March 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Hey, what do you expect, Dirt Devil is Golden Retriever endorsed !! ;) :thumbs up

I thought that same thing... I have dirt devil and the Golden too. :thumbs up

Dahlia
March 21st, 2005, 02:35 PM
I've had 2 dirt devils and didn't have any luck with either of them. They lasted me 2 yrs, tops, with cats. I have a Kenmore bagless from Sears and it has been great for the last 3 yrs. Still no problems. I suggest if you get anything from Sears to purchase the service agreement, because I had problems with a lawnmower that I bought from them. Even though it was still under warranty they refused to give me another mower, they just kept repairing it for me. The same seal kept going bad on it and it would start smoking like crazy. This was after having it only about 3 months and I have only a 1/4 acre lot and no one else used it but us. I took it back and they said that happens if you keep it outside in the weather. I told them I keep it in the garage and it has never been rained on. Then they said it was from overuse. I described my lawn to them and invited them to come out and look at it and the garage if they didn't believe me. They still refused to replace it because I didn't buy a service agreement that requires them to replace it if it has manufacturer defects. Sorry, got off topic, I just wanted to warn you. I'm not saying anything is wrong with Sears products, I just happened to get a bad one and they wouldn't stand behind it. I guess it just depends on the individual store.

Safyre
March 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
I have a kenmore, and I have two cats, a dog, and some birds, has stood up to all of them.

Once every month, I also use a wire brush to clean the "animal high traffic areas" and am able to get up TONS of fur, even after the vacuum. The wire brushes used for dogs actually work REALLY well for this purpose! hehe

Gazoo
March 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM
We have a Panasonic upright that works great---superlight and lotsa power.

With pets I'd be sure to get a vacuum with a 12 amp motor and definitely go bagless b/c then you can empty it every time :thumbs up

Prin
March 21st, 2005, 07:47 PM
We burnt two vacuums because of hair- one was an old hoover and the second was an Eureka. Now we use the tiniest shop vac. It sucks like a charm. We only have wood floors so we usually sweep and mainly use the vacuum for crevices and corners. Shop-Vacs suck like crazy and the smallest one is like $35. It's not great if you have carpet though.

mastifflover
March 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM
The dyson animal it is amazing and expensive but is built with pet hair in mind and lasts for a long time guaranteed

raingirl
March 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
Just on a side note, since I'm looking for a new vac, bagless vacuums aren't good for those with allergies, as they are built with a filter into the canister. If the filter gets clogged (as mine does after about 10 minutes of vacuuming), the vacuum with blow allergens into the air.

I'm looking at getting a commercial grade hepa filter Eureka model. They are about $400.

Dahlia
March 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Mastiflover, I have been wondering about the Dyson. Once our Kenmore wears out I'd like to try one.

TWilson9498
March 22nd, 2005, 09:39 AM
I have to agree with Goldengirl.. Only because I own a Kirby business myself. :) If you decide to purchase a Kirby I would do as she suggested though and purchase one refurbished.. we also have a lifetime refurbish agreement where you will pay 175.00 (in the States, don't know about Canada) anytime you want for the rest of your life (not the vacuum, but yours) and the factory will rebuild it for you, replace all attachments and the shampoo'r. New ones in the States run 1928.21, but I don't know the price there.. it varies by Distributor. The only thing I would not suggest to you is buying one on E-bay. This is because they are not sold by Kirby Authorized Distributors therefore the warranty is voided out. It will say it has a warranty but does not, and this is against the law, I know here anytime someone is caught we have the site shut down. Kirby has been in business for 91 years now, and always do in home demo's to sell our products, unless it is sold by a vac shop that has our permission to resell the older ones for less. Other than that I would have to say the Dysons are next in line to us. They are about 1500 cheaper but they do work great. Much better than the Rainbow. Those are just annoying because of the water..

SnowDancer
March 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Mastifflover - I have read fabulous things about the Dyson Animal. Did you buy yours in the U.S.? Haven't seen them in Canada. I think I need one to clean the Eskimo hair from my black clothes.

canine14
March 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Like Prin, we use a shop vac. It is a medium size and cost $60 CND at Hope Depot. It sucks up everything, including fur off of the furniture. Make sure you get the one with the different attachments in case you do have carpet.

Lisa.