Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving a cat to a new house

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM
I will be moving into a new home in several weeks and I'm wondering what the best way to do this with the least amount of stress to my two cats.

I've read on different sites that I should set up a room for them while the movers are in our current house that is like a safe room. Their food, kitty litter, familiar toys etc. And then once I transport them to the new house to have another safe room set-up. This is to keep them away from all the people coming and going and to eliminate the chances of them getting out of the house.

My question is - is there anything else I can do? One of my cats is very high strung and does not like change at all. I was thinking of trying the rescue remedy I've seen mentioned here but wasn't sure when I should start with the doses and what the amount of dosage she should get.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, I hate seeing Winnie so upset, plus she tends to get very cranky and take it out on my other cat Sunkist.

I think I'm more stressed about how she's going to do than the actual move!

Eleni
March 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM
I have a high strung cat also,

when I moved we brought the cats a day early and let them sniff the area out, and stay there overnight to get used to the sounds& smells,

when the furniture and stuff was being brought in we put them in one room, the furniture for that room we just set aside in the livingroom, and moved it in once the cats were brave enough to explore the rest of the home.

they were a bit off for a few days, more jumpy and hiding then normal, and they went off their food for a day or 2, but after the initial week they settled fine.

good luck with your move!!

Eleni

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 08:47 AM
Did you stay with them that night?

Most of the sites I read said to keep them in their safe room for a few days before you let them out to explore. Did you do it this way or did you just let them explore as they wanted except while the movers were in there?

Eleni
March 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM
I did stay with them, I was there cleaning anyway and i was able to reassure them when they did look around. I let them explore at their own free will from the second i brought them into the home

Im glad I was able to do it i think it made a big difference in them settling in

Eleni

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 08:57 AM
Hi I did exactly what you said you read ( I could not get into the new house before moving day) I had 6 cats at the time, and in the old place I put them in the bathroom (is was a huge bathroom) with food water and litter, and I put a big sign on the door (DO NOT ENTER, SCARED CATS) as I did not want any of the people helping us move to open this door by accident and let the cats out. as we had the outside doors off and i did not want the to get outside and lost!
In the new house we did the same thing, put all the cats in the spare bedroom with the same BIG sign. When everyone left and thing quieted down (and outside doors were shut) We let them out, It took a couple weeks before they were used to it.

The last thing you want, is for them to escape out of your new place, as they would probably head for their old home, and so many bad things could happen to them on the way.

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM
I don't even want to chance them getting out as they are inside cats and have only gone outside on leashes.

Maybe I will stay away from the rescue rememdy, I don't want to give them anything that isnt necessary. I just want to make sure Winnie is stressed the least amount possible.

Thanks for your replies!

SnowDancer
March 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Agree that you should keep them out of the way of the movers and the open doors - if you are unsure that the door will be kept closed - despite your sign - and rest assured some people think that "NO" does not apply to them, I would crate them until it is safe. Since your cats are indoor cats, they should adjust very quickly - after all your furniture is their furniture - and more importantly, home is where you are.

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2005, 12:15 PM
Maybe I will stay away from the rescue rememdy

This is a safe and natural product. It doesn't drug the animal in any way - merely "takes the edge off"

I would use it, especially since Winnie is re-directing aggression on your other cat.

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Lucky Rescue thanks for the input!

How much should I give her and when should I do it? I read the side of the bottle but it only had human dosages.

Winnie is 9-10 lbs.

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Apparently RR is tasteless, and you can mix it in wet food. Or you can put it directly in her mouth on the tongue or gums.

4-8 drops a few times a day should help, but you may not see results right away.

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM
Well we have two months until we have to move out of the old house into our new house so I have lots of time to start her on the rescue rememdy before we actually move.

Hopefully it will calm her down to help her through the packing process and the move.

She never hurts Sunkist, just gets very cranky and hisses a lot, and is generally a meanie to everyone in the house. Hopefully the rescue remedy will help keep her calmer throughout the whole process. I feel so bad for her whenever she gets like this.

Thanks for the help everyone!

twinmommy
March 21st, 2005, 12:40 PM
If you are only moving in a few weeks, you could start it now, (Rescue Remedy) it's great stuff, completely safe as LR said, and it does take some time to kick in...which is good because as most cat owners will agree, your furbabies will start acting weird as soon as they see the first box being packed!! (they never miss a thing!!! ;)

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Winnie got all strange when we hid the family photos as the realtor suggested when we put our house on the market.

I should have remembered the rescue remedy before we had strange people walking through the house checking it out. To say she was stressed at the end of the couple of days it took to sell our house is a major understatement!

I haven't brought any boxes home or packed anything yet because I wanted her to relax a little before the house really gets in a uproar.

Funny how the little furball has us working around her!

twinmommy
March 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Is this behaviour new? Is it always related to change or does it seem to be just out of the blue? How old is she? Maybe have her tested for thyroid probs...just on the chance that this behaviour is due to a medical problem...?

questions...questions...questions...!!! :D

twinmommy
March 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Funny how the little furball has us working around her!

I KNOW!!!! It's amazing how we "catch" ourselves contantly catering to them, eh?? :rolleyes: Especially the cats--mine have 50 billion idiosyncracies!! AS IF I could possibly cater to them all!!

....well o.k. maybe only the first 30 billion... :D

Sunkist/Winnie
March 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
It is always related to a change...like clockwork.

When my fiancee moved in with his daughter majorly cranky cat for a month or so.

Had the carpet replaced with laminate wood - cranky cat for a week or so.

Re-arrange furniture - very edgy until she's inspected everything and has satisfied herself that there isn't anything new.

A vet once told me that she's partially the way she is because she's an indoor cat and she doesn't have to deal with as much chane on a day to day basis as outdoor cats.