Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new cat questions

amber416
March 20th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Well, i just got my first two foster kittens and will possibly be getting a third (their sister) in a week or so. Poor tink (my cat) is so on edge, just knowing they are here. What I'm wondering is, i know the introduction process is going to take awhile and i've browsed through old posts and read some articles about how to do it gradually, but once they do meet face to face, what is acceptable behavior? I mean, what if they hiss, or tink hisses, or they try and swat or worse. Do i let them hiss and swat or seperate them again in case it turns into something worse? Is Tink going to need to try and assert herself since it's her house or is that just a dog thing? And even after they are all attempting to coexist in the apartment, I still would feel more comfortable keeping the foster kittens in "their" bedroom at night and definitely when we're gone. Is that going to be okay or is it mean to lock them in a room after letting them have run of the whole apartment? So many questions, sorry, thank you in advance for any suggestions.

nuttynutmeg
March 20th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I got a kitten back in december. She is almost 5 months old. Now,my older cats(10&5) aren't taking to her still. I did nothing special. I never kept them from each other. I watched them very closely when they were in close range of one another. Sure the older cats hissed and groaned. But in overall it was fine. They won't allow her to play with them,but they can sleep in different spots on a bed together.

If the older cat is getting physical I would gradually introduce them to one another. Don't force it. But in my years of having cats,I never had a cat hurt a kitten-never. They will voice their opinion,but I think everything should be fine.

You could also rub a blanket on the newbies,then introduce that same blanket to your older cat. She will sniff and will hopefully recognize the new kttens smell.

Good luck :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2005, 12:19 AM
How old are the kittens, and how old is your cat? Is she used to other cats?

Most adult cats will not harm kittens, but some will especially if they have always been "only" cats.

Locking them in a bedroom is not mean, and most rescues prefer fosters to be kept separate from resident cats. Give them toys to play with and a window to look out. They have each other and will spends hours playing, cuddling, and sleeping.

If you want to integrate them into your house, use the gradual introduction method. Some hissing and swatting is normal, and unless your cat is very aggressive, I would let them work it out.

However, if your cat is not used to kittens, or is older, I would not let 3 kittens swarm on her.

amber416
March 21st, 2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the replies! LuckyRescue, my cat is a year old and i only adopted her about six months ago. She was a stray brought into the humane society but she hasn't been around any other cats since then. These new kittens are 6 months old. And on a side note...the rescue worker that brought the kittens to me said that they are on adult food because the last foster family had older cats, so they just fed them all the adult kind but I thought cats are supposed to stay on kitten formula until they are a year old? They are so skinny...or maybe they just seem that way because my Tinkerbell is a bit chubby :) . Should I switch them to the kitten version of their food or keep them on adult?

Britishvixen21
March 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Im not an expert or anything but when Mya came to me she had only been fed No frills dry cat food since her previous owner had got her at 8 weeks old. she was painfully thin. I started to give her 1/2 cup of dry food mixed with 1 small can (like fancy feast or something) of wet food once a day, and then had a bowl of dry stuff for her to nibble on. I also started giving her cat milk every other day and she has bulked out in no time. you can get the cat milk cheapest at zellers for 99c. Seeing as there only foster cats though you might not want to get em on something if there forever home doesnt want to offer it. but I didnt put her on kitten food its bloody expensive and I feel the wet food mixed with the dry is doing a good job of fattening my little darling up :D

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Oh! If your cat is a year old and kittens are 6 months old, then introduce them properly and let them all have at it!:D

Your cat will love the company!! Just remove breakables.:p

Agree that you should feed adult food to all. Plus all the exercise should help slim Tinkerbell down (although this has not worked with MY (S)Tinkerbell).

Are you planning to keep any of the new cats? If so, watch and see which one your cat likes the best and keep that one.