Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best sex for third doggy...

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I just wanted to ask-- When introducing a third doggy into a household with a dominant female and a mid- dominant male (not submissive, or passive but not aggressive either, in between...) both fixed, which sex is best? It seems that both would have a hard time with having another of the same sex. I'm just thinking about it long term but I wonder what you all think would be the best combination.

These are the two babies that I'm asking about

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I can only tell you what I would do, if I had two dogs like yours.

Since your female is dominant and the male not so much, I would get a submissive male. I would get a dog who is old enough so that personality is known.

Bitches often fight worse than males for domination, so I would definitely not get a female, not even a passive one.

twodogsandacat
March 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM
The reason I have two male dogs is exactly that. A TOTALLY UNSCIENTIFIC believe that females can be worse than males especially when it comes to the home turf. As I said TOTALLY UNSCIENTIFIC.

I have a question also. How many dogs should a household own? I know a woman that has six rescues. She has three registered in her name and three in her sisters to get around the bylaw. Her dogs are extremely loved and well behaved but they consume her entire life - she walks them in shifts. My hands are full with two.

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Legally in most municipalitlies, it's a max of 2 dogs. My third dog would probably be a pug though, not nearly as big as the other two, which would make it easier on the male. I think limits should be more specific-- having 3 labs is not the same as having 3 shi-tzus...

Lucky- that was what I was thinking. Submissive male. You can pick the more submissive ones by looking at the litter too, no? I've never bought from a breeder before. I have only ever had rescues. But this third doggy stuff is a long way away.

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM
On second thought, maybe it'll be a newf... I so want a newf one day... Can anybody tell me the criteria for getting a pup from a breeder? I'm not a trusting person and a lot of people ask me about this. I know about finding breeders who show and breeders who make you sign a neuter contract and a contract that you will give the doggy back if if if, but how can you be sure about the health? There is a newf at our park that just started coming that has hip dysplasia and came with a guarantee nonetheless... It freaked me out a bit....

goldenblaze
March 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I have a question only..... I've always just had male dogs so I wonder... dominant female....does it depend on the bred or are all females this way. :confused:

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Depends on the female. Mine is a husky-lab mix and she and another female husky samoyed mix are the alphas of the park. Most of the labs, beagles, danes, and other little females that come are more passive.

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Having two dogs of the same sex often makes the competition worse because they are competing on the same level,epecially if they are close in age (sort of like kids:p ). A dog who is much older/younger or of the opposite sex is not such competition.

Female dogs, like female cats, are often MORE territorial than males, although the territory is much smaller.

As for buying from a breeder, I think This Site (http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html) gives pretty good info!

MegShawnMom
March 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
The third dog should be a submissive male, younger than the ones you have now.The breed is not the issue it's the temperment and disposition of the new dog, make sure it's neutured.

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
That was a good link Lucky- but is there any way, other than getting the pup xrayed and super checked yourself to check for diseases? Even if the parents and grandparents are healthy and troublefree, there still is a chance that the pup won't be. I just would have such a hard time caring for a dog with hip dysplasia-- not that I wouldn't do it, It would just be so sad for me. This week I noticed that my blue eyed doggy's eyesight is not too great sometimes and that makes me upset already.

Lucky Rescue
March 21st, 2005, 12:14 AM
I'm no expert, but if you are considering buying a puppy, then you need to make sure the parents have been tested and cleared of all and any genetic defects common to the breed you are interested in. In Newfs, I imagine hip displaysia would be one of those defects.

X-raying is not enough. Breeding dogs should be cleared by OFA or Pennhip for elbows and hips.

You can read about that HERE (http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0090.htm)

Prin
March 21st, 2005, 12:34 AM
That's great, thanks!!

matt
March 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM
I'm with you guys on the submissive male. An experienced breeder would be the best person to pick this out for you.

As far as picking a pup. OFA/Penn HIP is good BUT......... buying any pup is a bit of a crap shoot. Even if the sire is OFA excellent and the DAM is OFA excellent you can still get pups with bad hips. The chances are less but it happens. Also it is good to look closely at the pedigree a few generations back . Some pedigree's have this noted you just need to know how to read it. Bottom line... no x rays of the parents(and ask to see the certification by the way) don't even consider it. Just my 2 cents. :)