Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

socializing my Sammy

Eleni
March 20th, 2005, 01:31 AM
So ive decided I want sammy to spend a good amount of time with other dogs, I want him to be well socialized if i can help it.

my friend that lives in my apartment has a georgeous jack russel terrier, so we got them together for a bit of a play this evening.

my question is how rough is too rough for the pups to play, I noticed they did get a bit rough but both had tails still wagging and none seemed to get upset

what are the ground rules I should enforce when it comes to sammy playing with other dogs,

I know at 16 weeks he isnt gonna hurt another dog, but he wont always be 16 weeks so i dont wanna get him into any bad habits that i have to break later.

I know dog classes are a good idea, im just waiting for his next vet appointment till he has his kennel cough vax before i take him around those dogs, for now hes just around the jack russel whom I know has had all her vax and is healthy.

Eleni

wjranch
March 20th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Most times pups will tell each other when it's enough, or one has gone too far. That's the whole point of socializing them. They have a language and they learn to understand what's too much and what's okay. I don't think at 16 weeks your pup is really being aggressive, he's being a puppy and that's fine. I realize some pups together can sound almost scary when roughhousing together... Unless one is yelping in pain constantly, I would let them play it out.

They'll figure it out on their own...try not to intervene unless you absolutly have to.

SnowDancer
March 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
I expect the two dogs are close to each other in size. Since your Bichon-Poo is a puppy he is still learning to play and puppies can be rough. I have had Terriers and expect the Jack Russell might well be the dominant dog - but that is just based on my experience. Give them time to adjust to each other and keep a VERY watchful eye. Especially watch"how" the tails are wagging. Not sure if your pup has the turned up "piggy" tail as does my Eskimo. If Sammy does, when he is happy and playing it will twirl in a circular motion - when not playing it will either straighten or go back and forth - so twirl is nice. With the Jack Russell, being short-haired with a long straight tail - not much doubt when they cease playing - watch for body language, raised hair down the back, tail straight out - that type of thing. Since you are waiting for socialization classes until Sammy has had all vaccines, including Kennel Cough, I would still get him registered for an upcoming class as the Kennel Cough vaccine is a 2 part shot as well. You will have to pick and choose your classes since Sammy won't be 8 weeks old. Maybe see how they react by visiting each other's home ground. Dogs that get along on neutral territory are sometimes not so accommodating on their home turf. My Eskimo is extremely social at PetSmart, his socialization class etc., but I have never had another dog with him in the house - he just keeps a VERY close, raised eye on Eskimo who lives in the mirror.

Gazoo
March 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Most times pups will tell each other when it's enough, or one has gone too far. That's the whole point of socializing them. They have a language and they learn to understand what's too much and what's okay. I don't think at 16 weeks your pup is really being aggressive, he's being a puppy and that's fine. I realize some pups together can sound almost scary when roughhousing together... Unless one is yelping in pain constantly, I would let them play it out.

They'll figure it out on their own...try not to intervene unless you absolutly have to.

Thats good advice....most dogs (the exception being breeds with dog-fighting in their history) being pack animals; are programmed to get along with each other and not hurt each other...because doing so is detrimental to the pack.

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Eventually you will see your dog aggressive and you will be able to judge when it is aggression and when it is play. Some dogs have weird body language so you can't always rely on that. My big Boo wags when he is out to kill... People always tell me, leave him, he's playing, but I know he isn't.

My rule of thumb is that if it looks like escalation, stop it. If they play rough but it doesn't look like rougher and rougher to no end, that's fine. Just make sure that if one gets hurt, the other knows to back off.