Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pineapple for poo eating?

topaz_n29
March 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I have been told about the pineapple for putting in puppys food to help stop him eating his poo. he eats dry food ..do i use the juice or crushed in w/ food or how? thx Top.

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I never heard of such a thing, and something like pineapple juice is loaded with sugar.

Many puppies eat poop. The way to stop this is to keep him on a leash when he goes, and teach him "Leave it" if he tries to turn and eat it.

Safyre
March 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I agree with LuckyRescuse ... I was told not to give my Pup Pineapple because of the amount of sugar.
I was asking becasue my cats love it, but its not a good thing for dogs. Banana as well.

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I heard about the pineapple juice-it's supposed to acidiy the stool. Better to use the other methods discussed in this thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13155&highlight=eat+poo

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Just be careful-- there is a lot of misinfo out there. A guy at our park was told by a petstore to give carbon cookies... They're supposed to reduce the sh** smell but not prevent the eating... It's nuts what gets passed around...

Dahlia
March 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Hi Topaz! Sophie just started doing that Saturday night. She doesn't do it when she poops outside, but we were at my inlaws' over the weekend and I brought along a playpen, put her crate in the playpen with the door off and spread newspapers around. I thought that might keep her from crying in the middle of the night and waking everyone up when she had to go potty. Well, my neice took her out to go potty and I guess she didn't keep her out long enough because a few minutes after putting her in the playpen she pooped. I was feeding the baby so I couldn't get to her right away and when I went over there she was eating it. :yuck: That's the first time I'd ever seen her do that, I guess the poop was too close to her crate and she was trying to clean it up? That was just too gross for me. I took a wet wipe (unscented) and wiped out her mouth LOL! I haven't seen her do it since, but that was the only time she pooped in the playpen. She will eat cat poop every chance she gets, though.