Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Husky questions

Deborah D
March 19th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Okay found this site today and I'll just ask all my questions--seems like a lot of people here who know about dogs.

Our Husky mix has incontience problems. She is roughly 4 years old -- the shelter really didn't know. What happens is if she is really relaxed or been sleeping she will suddenly pee. (Embarrassing when friends are petting her and she relaxes.) We originlly thought she just wasn't completely house trained and would disapline her for peeing in the house (before anyone gets upset -- we do not hit -- we firmly say No, Bad and put her outside--ok?) Anyways, we had to stop disaplining her becuase we started catching her licking it up in what we think was fear of a scolding. So now we don't scold, but she still pees. This is very infrequent, but enough to be a concern.
My question -- is this a Husky problem? Or something else?

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Do a search on bedwetting here. In a message by sarrahbattista that we recently talked extensively about this. If she is not squatting, it is probably a hormone issue and estrogen pills from your vet will fix it up.

Here I found it: (look toward the bottom of the bedwetting thread)
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12749&highlight=bedwetting

mafiaprincess
March 19th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Incontience can happen in any breed. It can sometimes happen after spaying. Have you talked to your vet about it? There are pills that can help with this problem if you haven't already solved it.

Deborah D
March 19th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Geez, while I was reading the reply my older male dog just did the same thing -- he didn't even notice. If the last dog starts having this problem I'm going to go crazy here!

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM
probably testosterone pills needed for the male, estrogen for the female. Ask the vet about it. THe estrogen pills should be hot pink. (There is another type of pill on the market but research has shown that it is very harmful long term-- that is why I specify hot pink pills.)

Depending on how old the older one is though-- it could be incontinence due to age...

mona_b
March 20th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I would definately have them both checked out by a vet.

And as it was said,this can happen in any breed.My sister has 3 Huskies.And none have this problem.

SnowDancer
March 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Definitely a visit to the vet is called for. May well be a condition treatable by medication. Years ago one of my male Dachshunds would suddenly starting wetting while standing there - but not realize it. It was after the removal of 4 bladder stones - didn't happen often, but when it did, we knew he wasn't aware of it.