Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update-hurt Cat In California

canine14
March 19th, 2005, 08:17 PM
UPDATE - HURT CAT AT VENTURA

Hello Everyone,

A wonderful woman by the name of Madeline (who volunteers for Siamese Rescue) pulled the hurt tortie for me from Ventura. It turns out the tortie (http://www.ventura.org/animreg/cat-frame.html ID361540) has wounds all over her body, and was possibly burned. Her sinus cavities are exposed and she has some type of infection. Also, she was a stray and weighs only 4 lbs. Someone found her in that horrible condition.

I named her GRACE. I work for a Roman Catholic Church and I cannot think of a better name for her. Madeline said that even with her raw wounds on her face: "The first thing she did when I opened the
cage was try to sit on my lap and gave me a head rub. It took two seconds and I'm in love. She is such a loving, loving kitty. It just breaks my heart because all she wants to do is sit on my lap and get loves. She even purrs."

Grace has to go through some testing and some treatment at the vet in California before she can come to Montreal. So far, we have already paid $290 USD for her shelter fees and her tests. We still have quite a ways to go and then we need to pay the transport costs which are $167 USD. I am going to need a bit of help. Madeline and I have set up GRACE's FUND and you can donate to PO Box 193, Newbury Park, CA 91319-0193. Email me for a Canadian address.

Please help get this sweetheart home. She has suffered enough. She would have been PTS today if not pulled last night. If you send your name and address with your donation, I will send you a photo and an update when she arrives in Canada.

THANK YOU,
Lisa
harryis21@yahoo.com

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 08:40 PM
That website you posted (ventura) is proof that shelters do not immediately euthanize animals that come in with problems. I'm glad that that kitty will eventually get the love it needs and is getting the help it really needs.

Lucky Rescue
March 19th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Can we work another miracle on this board and get this kitty to Lisa??

Lisa, it might be better to set up a Paypal account as well. Quicker!

canine14
March 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Can you email me with directions on how to do that?

Also, a kind older man in CT who lives alone with his sister and who rescues cats, just offered to send me a cheque on behalf of the two of them. I am in tears at the generosity of people.

Lisa.

CyberKitten
March 19th, 2005, 10:19 PM
There is a wonderful fellow who has done some work for Siamese Rescue (Peggy, you might remember him from when he delivered that Himylayan kitty Mary Ann rescued from the cat forum?) - Jimmy Frost. he is a truck driver and drives with his cats across the US. Here is his web site: http://www.asphaltadventures.com/

The Meezer Express might be able to help too - where this kitty is a meezer.

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Good news here also. Debbie Raymond wants to help and will donate 100$ from Lucky Rescue to get this poor baby home!!:)

canine14
March 20th, 2005, 03:03 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Latest news: someone offered to ACCOMPANY Grace on her flight so that she could be in the cabin!

Lisa.

canine14
March 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
This is the update letter my foster in CA sent out to everyone who has been concerned over Grace. This type of neglect on the par of her owners is sick and abuse, no question.
----------------------------------

I wanted to update everyone on Grace’s condition. In case you’ve forgotten, Grace is the little tortie cat with facial injuries that was rescued from the Ventura county shelter on Friday.

Based on Grace’s blood work, the vet doesn’t believe that her injuries are from any type of caustic liquid. The vet believes that she has either an autoimmune disease or food allergy that was left untreated until Grace reached this state. She has raw skin on the majority of the top of her forehead & sides of her face, a little on her paws, and most of the top of her tail. She has an exposed sinus cavity and some kind of nasal obstruction. It also looks as though she has some type of fungal injection in the opening of her nose. When she gets excited she has difficulty breathing, but she’s okay when she’s calm.

Grace weighs a little over 5 lbs, and is estimated to be between 10 & 12 years old. She is completely skin and bones.

Despite her condition, Grace is an active, affectionate cat. She chases me when I try to leave her room, and only wants to sit on my lap and be scratched. I grew concerned over the weekend, however, because no matter what I tried, I could not get her to eat. And she is next to impossible, unfortunately, to pill. It took my vet and two techs to get one pill into her, and then they gave up and resorted to injections.

I took her back to the vet on Monday. She is hospitalized, and she underwent surgery yesterday to biopsy her wounds to determine exactly what is going on with her. They also inserted an esophageal tube for feeding & medicating her until she’s a little better.

She’s going to remain hospitalized until Thursday, when the results of the biopsy come back.

I’ll keep everyone updated on her condition. For those who are interested, Grace’s expenses to date are $360.00, and the estimate for yesterday was $300.00 (without the hospitalization charges, we decided to leave her there after I got the estimate). As of yesterday, we had in hand $123.00 (CND) in donations (this doesn’t included donations that have been pledged).

Thank you all for your concern, generosity, and love for this poor little girl.

Sincerely,

Madeline & Lisa

-----------------------------------

I have set up a paypal account for donations and they can be sent to harryis21@yahoo.com. I also have copies of bills and estimates in hand for anyone who wants to see them.

Lisa.

canine14
March 23rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Here is Grace's photo from the shelter website and this is what she looked like when she was pulled.

CyberKitten
March 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Have you thought of setting up a web site for Grace? Getting her some publicity? I just know people would help seeing and hearing her story. Poor baby!! Siamese Rescue- Texas has a mailing list of people who would gladly donate (I'll send the pict and story to it - I volunteer for Siamese RescueVa and also the Meezer Express.

canine14
March 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks Cyberkitten. Madeline wants to set one up but she is off work due to injury and she hasn't had time. I would, but, I don't know how.

Lisa.