Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Format?

CyberKitten
March 18th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Hi,

I wonder if Marko or any of the moderators can tell me if this new format (the messages at the top where you have to search for them) is just a trial? If it is, I want to add my suggestion that we return to the original format. I like to think I embrace change and I usually do :) but I detest this new method. Perhaps it is only me and my lifestyle - busy and I post very quickly and have only so much time. But just on this last thread, I had to spend extra time finding my original post to edit it and while it is late and I've had a long day (No children threw up on me but I did have to inform a wonderful 10 year old and her parents that her cancer has metaticized and that sucked, needless to say). I felt like crying with them!

Then I finally got around to going for my post traumatic stress counselling and debriefing from my work in Sumatra with Les Medcins sans Frontieres (it is required of all volunteers) and that was tough!! It brought back all the memories of the sick children I could not help in the same way I could have if they were here in Canada - it irks me so much that we have AIDS meds a mouse click away (I write all my scripts on my computer - tho I do have good penwormanship for a doc, lol) - but in Indonesia, the drugs are not available. This means that the child diagnosed with HIV in say, New Brunswick, will have her meds paid for her parents' insurance plan or the govt if her parents do not have a drug plan. Just 10 yrs ago, she might not have lived to see her fifth birthday. Now she can plan for university and beyond. The same child in Indonesia will die well before she turns five. I know life is not fair but this is simply unjust!!

We see the occasional child who is spirited out of these countries by people in the military or visiting docs like me - and media coverage ensures the community pitches in to help (Think of the child with the cardiac problem in Afganhistan that the Canadian (a NBer :) ) military member helped to come to Ottawa near where the serviceman was based). But there are millions dying. Not thousands. Millions!

Anyway - this is where my head is tonite. I need a good diversion.

marko
March 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Hi CK,

(the messages at the top where you have to search for them)

I'm not sure I understand. the actual messages in any thread are listed in the same way From oldest to newest)

Are you talking about Subforums? not sure? If it is subforums then it's not really new....

Please be a bit clearer and more specific (which forum, which post) and it's my pleasure to help.

topaz_n29
March 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Marko..i think she means where u type into the search for a post previous
Example:..when i posted help for" pup eating poo"
then a couple days later to find it i have to type in pup eating poo..now i might have forgotten how i worded it..and it comes up telling me not found..it is annoying..but then maybe i am doing sumthing wrong..i have gone into new posts etc. and then just kept leafing thru the pages..u might say to find it..takes time..Top.

marko
March 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Ok..if this IS what was meant...I may have an easy fix.

The user CP (1st link near FAQ in the toolbar on every page) has an option to subscribe to threads that you are involved in. This allows you to view ONLY those threads with ease instead of searching for them within the actual BB.

Here's how - USER CP > EDIT OPTIONS > Default Thread Subscription Mode - choose any option EXCEPT the Do not subscribe field.

(There are also other options from that page that you can customize.)

Once this is done,

In the future when you click on USER CP from the toolbar, you can then click on LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS. This lists all the threads that you are involved in, in chronological order.

Hope that helps.

CyberKitten
March 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Forgive me for being so obtuse in my explanation or lack of explanation. I mean the new format of the Board itself. Previsously, all the messages were available by simply scrolling down the page. Someone started a thread and it continued on and on... and sometimes was more than one page.

The new format has what sort of looks like a box at the top with the first few message headers in small print and after the first few messages, a message in the same miniscule print and in italics saying:(and yes, I do wear glasses to read, lol) "More replies below current depth".)

I find this format very frustrating. I did ask myself if it was because it was a change and that really is not it. To find my last message -if it is not the newest one - I have to find it among the mesages "below current depth" and that takes extra time, giving me less time here. Part of my problem is I tend to sign in when I can find time and I am often rushed so an inability to find a message frustrates me.

It was so much easier and simpler to scroll down and to a next page if needed to find the latest message.

I am uploading a screenshot of what I mean:

A Message Board a journal I subsribe to has a great idea. It allows you to call up your messages when you log in. You click on a hyperlink referred to as "View My Questions" and so you can track them. I love it! I looked at the source code for their Board. They essentially used an active server page (asp) and added a field name and data type for each member so that info was available.

I like the Search component. Please don't change it! :)

marko
March 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Ok CK,

GOTTCHA! A Picture is worth a thousand words.

The format of the board has not changed. For some unknown reason your personal prefs in your CP were changed.

Go here CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > CHANGE YOUR SETTING TO Linear - Oldest First

So Far that was the easiest way I reproduced your prob.

Let me know if it worked.

Also Like in my previous post, you CAN easily track all the threads you have particpated in by choosing any other option besides the Do not Subscribe option in the Default Thread Subscription Mode section on the same page.

THEN you can quickly see your threads by clicking List Subscriptions from your user CP.

Thanks

Marko
ADMIN

CyberKitten
March 19th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks so much Marko! I wonder what happened- curious since I never touch my preferences. Hmmm, gremlins I guess, lol I never had time - or took the time to look at how personalize my settings. I'll try it now. Thx again!!

This is so weird. I went to change it but it already was set to linear mode. I saved the "changes" (even tho I'd made none) and it is back to linear. Could it be that it defaults to linear??

topaz_n29
March 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Ty Marko for answereing my prob..hmmm i guess i have to learn not to speak for others.....ummm seems to work so well on my hubby..lol :)

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 07:20 PM
The way I do it if I really can't find a post I wrote in is by clicking on any post of mine and viewing my profile and then the "view all posts by this person"...

CyberKitten
March 20th, 2005, 03:43 AM
I occasionally do that too but when I am searching but this was not a search issue - it was the format. I found the method that some gremlins managed to change on me very different and I had to search within the thread for the message I wanted. The default method is simply to scroll - easy and simple! ;)