Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

exercise and stress

raingirl
March 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM
You know how they say that exercising reduces stress and makes you feel more relaxed after, and you will be happy you did it.

Does anyone here not feel that?

I worked out at a gym for 2.5 years (YMCA), and I hated every minute of it. It was boring, smelly, time consuming, dirty (I hated all the sweat on the machines, and I didn't even want to think about what was in the lockers). Every minute I was on the eliptical, I was thinking about all the things i had to do that I could be doing instead. It actually added more stress to my daily routine. Waiting for the machines was endless!! Even with good music to listen to, it was a hastle. You carry your water bottle, your walkman, your towel...then to carry them from machine to machine... Then I would swim after, then showering, then I have to dry my hair. PLus, I didn't have a car, so I walked to and from the gym, which was annoying too.

I see people read while they are on machines and don't get how they do that! I get dizzy trying.

I work out at home now. Best thing ever. I bought a few peices of equipment, and voila, home gym!

kayla
March 18th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I agree, I hate gyms too! I work out at home with a video, one day when I have the cash I want to buy a home gym, what pieces do you have? Working out at home definitely releases stress though, especially when you can justify ordering pizza after, nothing relieves stress like pizza ;)

raingirl
March 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I have a theraball, some therabands, and a weight set. I do cardio just by walking (now by walking the dog). I want to buy a bench, but haven't found one I like yet.

I used to work closely with physiotherapists, and I learned that getting a theraball is the way to go.

Eleni
March 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
i work out at home too, i just a jump rope and a rowing machine, and I walk the dog around the block many times over the course of the day.

I find that to be enough exercise, and pretty much it has to be i havent time or anything else

I totally agree with the gyms not being a comfortable place to work out.

I always feel im being watched and well ive had 3 kids and have the body of a woman whos had 3 kids so i dont feel like displaying all my attributes for everyone to see while staying fit
Eleni

CyberKitten
March 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I am not a big fan of gyms anyway. Being awkward is part of it I suppose but I get enough exercise. I walk alot - always walk upstairs and do not take the elelevator at work unless I have to get to the 7th floor in a hurry. <g> I have an exercise bike and a swimming pool at home so that works for me - swimming is a great way to keep in shape. I have degenerative disk problems so I cannot lift snow but I do clean up the driveway which is essentially just pushing the snow.

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I'm with you guys. I get my exercise any other way. I struggled with an eating disorder for half my life and when I go to the gym, like when I eat, I am pretty sure SOMEONE will say something insensitive to me. I prefer to do both in private. (Just so people know, if someone eats next to nothing when out in public, don't say anything because you noticing might cause them to stop eating altogether...)

mona_b
March 20th, 2005, 12:56 AM
OK,I'm one of the weird ones who loves going to the gym.... :(

Depending on my shifts,I will go before or after work.My stress is from work.BUT some of it is here at home.So going to the gym will before I come home is a stress reliever.I go to Premier Fitness.It's more crowded on the weekends.My daughter also loves going to the gym also.Quite a few times we go together.Don't tell hubby this,but the both of us check out the hotties...... :D :p

I have tried working out at home.But my biggest problem is I get into doing things around the house.So this is why the gym is better for me.

kayla
March 20th, 2005, 05:53 AM
i know this isn't "off topic" and goes back to pets but does anyone bike with their dog? i got my dog in the fall so haven't biked with her but would like to start as soon as the snow melts. anyone have any advice on this? i'm just really worried about running her over with my tire or something! she loves jumping on me and others while i walk and don't want her to do this while i bike too!

raingirl
March 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I was under the impression you should never bike with a dog. THe only way it is acceptable is if you have a special harness for the bike I think. I saw it in Modern Dog. Biking with a dog is dangerous.

meb999
March 20th, 2005, 10:28 AM
OK,I'm one of the weird ones who loves going to the gym.... :(

I'm with you!!

I guess it depends on the gym. I went to a gym a few years ago that I HATED. It was full of jocks hoped up on stero´ds. I hated every minute of it -- so I never went, it was a big waste of money.
My mom started going to Nautilus and she loved it (my mom is NOT agym person!) so I decided to give it a try and I love it there. I go during the day, so there aren't many jocks and you don't have to wait for a machine.

Gazoo
March 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I was under the impression you should never bike with a dog. THe only way it is acceptable is if you have a special harness for the bike I think. I saw it in Modern Dog. Biking with a dog is dangerous.

So is crossing the street. :rolleyes:

melanie
March 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM
i used to bike qwith cxharlie, that was till she went the wrong way around a pole whilst we were going pretty fast, and we both ended up with some pretty nasty injuries. also it is bad for the throat and trachea to pull anything. use a body harness.

kayla
March 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM
well there goes that idea. thanks for the info!

Schwinn
March 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
I'd love to have a home gym, unfortunatly I would not be able to afford the diversity of weights that I use. I use a lot of free-weights, and the cost to purchase the weights would kill me! I'm finding I'm starting to enjoy the gym again since I'm starting to get into the heavy weights, and I usually plug in my earphones and watch the TV while I'm on the treadmill. I've trained a few people, and I always tell them I'll do it, but they have to promise to stick at it for at least one month, long enough to see an improvement. After that, if they want to quit, they can. They usually stick to it after that.

You have to find something you enjoy. Riding you bike, walking your dog, whatever. It doesn't have to be going into a gym and lifting weights. Also, a lot of people think they need to do these long drawn-out work-outs. Myself, if I take longer than 45 mins, then I'm wasting my time (that's lifting only, not including cardio). If you're looking to get fit, 20 minute circuit training will do most people. I try to avoid the elevator, and if I have time, I take the PATH instead of walking on street level because it takes about 10mins longer.

As for feeling self-concious...my wife was watching me pack my gym bag last night, and after looking at my "gym outfit" she said, "Well, at least I don't know I have to worry about someone trying to pick you up while you're working out!". Or, try to find the "off-hours". Most times when I'm in the weight area at Goodlife, there are only 2 or three other people there, and there' s lots of times I've been working out, looked around and realized I was alone. And if I ever get my CD player working, I find that helps me to shut-out other people as well. Sometimes, I'll make fun of them in my head, that way if I feel self-conscious, I don't care because I've already made fun of them! :D Also, I only see these people in the gym, when I'm sweaty and grunt-y, and when I was single, I used to tell myself I probably looked pretty unattractive to them so there was no need to worry about what they thought, since I wasn't picking up there anyway!

Iggette
March 22nd, 2005, 04:00 AM
Well I'm one of those people that try to work out. I do it for about a week then give up. I hate working out sit ups biking etc....YUK! A good walk is the closest I get and even that usually has a purpose such as "gee I wonder what is over there at the other end of that feild?"...lol :p

I like getting my excersize the good old fashioned way "work" :rolleyes: and I get something accomplished at the same time :D