Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog won't stay in his kennel

Gripenfelter
March 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM
15 week old Malamute.

Won't let us put him in his kennel.

We've put his food in the kennel along with all his toys.

He literally howls for hours and will not touch his toys or food in the kennel.

Any ideas? My wife and I are getting ready to give up and just let him stay in the house. We just get tired of having to open up the door for him to go play outside every 15-20 mins.

Trinitie
March 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Where is your kennel when you put him in it? Can he see you? If not, move the kennel to a location in the home where he can see you. The living room is the best place to train him. Put him in, give him a small cookie (some people don't agree with bribery, but it works), and leave him in there as long as he cries. As soon as he stops crying, let him out, take him outside and praise him up! Play with him like you normally would, then put him in when he starts to get tired. Again, give him a cookie, tell him what a good boy he is, and ignore him if he starts to whine or cry.

He's throwing a hissy fit because he knows he can win. Mals are VERY strong willed and he's trying to force you to let him out. Don't give in to him.

Perhaps other Mal owners have better suggestions, but this may start to work in the meantime.

I hope this helps!

Trinitie
March 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM
15 week old Malamute.

My wife and I are getting ready to give up and just let him stay in the house. We just get tired of having to open up the door for him to go play outside every 15-20 mins.

Wait - you're leaving him outside by himself? No wonder he's crying! He's a baby and needs to be with you! He should have an indoor kennel, not an outdoor one.
Outdoor kennels are used for adult dogs, who are more used to being alone, and who don't mind it. You have a baby who's looking for cuddling and play time. He's not to be left by himself, outside. That's just not right. Letting him outside every 15-20 minutes is normal for a young puppy. Their bladders cannot hold the pee for very long, and need to go out that often. Again, part of puppyhood that you, as their pack leader, must learn to live with. If you do not want to be "bothered" to let him out so often, perhaps you should have gotten an adult dog instead of a baby. Sorry for sounding harsh, but that's the way I see it.

Gazoo
March 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Malamutes are very primitive and pack oriented dogs!!! How would you like to be locked up away from your family all night?!?!?! :sad:

Most dogs don't do well when kenneled all alone, especially arctic breeds who are very, very energetic and prone to anxiety and neuroses. You're gonna create a neurotic dog with extreme separation anxiety. Get him a crate (plastic kennel) in the house and let him sleep there.

The poor little thing should be inside with your family!!! :thumbs up

Lise
March 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Dogs are social animals to isolate a puppy in your yard alone is cruel.No dog regardless of breed deserves this fate.Why have a dog if you do not want to allow it to be part of your family?At fifteen weeks your puppy does not have to be outside every fifteen minutes.Are you going out to play with him or just opening the door and letting him out.Dogs left alone develop problems like aggressive,destructive behaviour,constant barking,landscaping(your yard will look like the moon)and many others.Malamutes are a strong independant breed,who need training and socialization with the family.I had a wonderful mal for almost 12 years who loved kids,cats other dogs and was an important member of our family in our house with our shepherd.Listen to your dog he's right!

Prin
March 18th, 2005, 03:11 PM
If your dog cries, and you go open the cage every time, he learns really quickly that crying gets him what he wants (not to be in a cage) plus a side order of attention and to go romp outside instead. Maybe I'll start crying, too.

Gripenfelter
March 18th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Hmm.

Maybe I'm asking on the wrong forum or maybe I wasn't clear. We want to keep him in an outdoor fenced kennel while we're at work.

Malamutes are outdoor dogs and I've known other malamute owners for years who have kept their dogs outside while they have gone to work. Our dog just doesn't like the idea of being confined eventhough he spends most of his time outside.

He's not a "baby" anymore. He's 45 lbs and can hold his bladder for 8 hrs at a time.

Did I mention he spends 65% of his time outside away from the "family"?

He has no problems with the indoor crate. In fact he sleeps in the indoor crate on his own.

We're at the point now where we're trying to decide whether to force him to stay in the outdoor kennel or if we should keep him in his little indoor crate while we're at work so he doesn't destroy the house.

Trinitie
March 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Hmm.

Maybe I'm asking on the wrong forum or maybe I wasn't clear. We want to keep him in an outdoor fenced kennel while we're at work.

Malamutes are outdoor dogs and I've known other malamute owners for years who have kept their dogs outside while they have gone to work. Our dog just doesn't like the idea of being confined eventhough he spends most of his time outside.

He's not a "baby" anymore. He's 45 lbs and can hold his bladder for 8 hrs at a time.

Did I mention he spends 65% of his time outside away from the "family"?

He has no problems with the indoor crate. In fact he sleeps in the indoor crate on his own.

We're at the point now where we're trying to decide whether to force him to stay in the outdoor kennel or if we should keep him in his little indoor crate while we're at work so he doesn't destroy the house.

A dog of a Mals size is considered a puppy until it's one year old. Your dog, even though 45 lbs in weight, is only just under 4 months old. Even though your dog likes to spend his time outside, unsupervised outdoor time is NOT recommended, by anyone with a well trained dog. If you must leave your baby (yes, he is still a baby) alone for 8 hours, then do so in an indoor kennel. A dog of that size can easily fit into a extra-large kennel and remain there, happily chewing on toys and treats while you're at work. Using a "little indoor crate" is not appropriate for a dog of that energy level.
If he sleeps in his indoor kennel, without fussing, it's not a matter that he doesn't like to be confined, or he would kick up a fuss inside too. He fusses while outside because he's lonely. 65% alone time, at this VERY impressionable age, is not good for him. I don't care what your many Mal owners tell you. A baby dog needs human contact - plain and simple.

You also mention him being able to hold his bladder for 8 hours. For a 4 month old dog, the appropriate time to "hold it" is 5 hours. The accepted formula, among MANY dog experts, vets and trainers, is age of dog in months plus one. A 4 month old dog should be able to hold it 5 hours. Of course this applies to a dog while it's awake. Most dogs this age are able to hold it for at least 8 hours while sleeping through the night.

Since you've started posting here, you've told us that you're inexperienced, and are seeking advice on raising your dog to be a healthy, happy dog. You're getting the advice that has worked for us throughout the years. You'll not find a more knowledgable group on the Internet, nor a group with as much passion for their animals, and those animals that belong to other members.

We offer advice that works, plain and simple. If you ask us for advice, you'll get honest answers, as that's all we know how to give. If anyone offers advice that doesn't sound appropriate, or it sounds like "something someone wants to hear", it's not good advice. You may not like what you're hearing, but sometimes the truth hurts.

heeler's rock!
March 18th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I agree with Trinitie. Mals are very impressionable, smart dogs. If he's left alone too much, he'll become solitary and avoid people and other dogs. You should check out my post on my in-law's mal Cusco in the general forum, who now is doomed to die because they were inexperienced dog owners and didn't take the right advice. If the breeders they got him from were good breeders, they never would have sold first time dog owners a malamute. Even the Alaskan Malamute Help Legue will not adopt out to first time owners because of the demanding nature of these dogs. He is 4 years old, and a typical malamute in every sense of the word. He is very agressive towards dogs of the same sex, and any experienced mal owner will tell you that's typical if they do not receive the proper socialization early in life. He also is very territorial. He will growl and show teeth to anyone that tries to come near him when he's relaxing. Even just walking by him makes him angry, nevermind petting him. That's because they kept him outside, alone most of the time, and now that's all he wants. To be alone. They also thought it would be fine just because he's an outdoor dog. Maybe so, but he's not a solitary animal. All dogs are pack animals and need that guidance. Please don't let your mal become like Cusco. It will happen if the proper training and socialization is not done now. Good luck to you!! :o

Prin
March 18th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I thought the crate was indoor. I agree with trinitie in that a young dog like that should not be left outside all day and if crating him is necessary to prevent him from chewing things, etc, crate him indoors. It is much safer for him than being outside.

mona_b
March 18th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Please tell me you are joking?

You are leaving your 15 week old PUP locked outside in a kennel?

First off,this is totaly WRONG.This is a baby.And he should definately NOT be left out all night.

As for the saying that the Mal is an outdoor dog.My sister has 3 Siberian Huskies,no real difference in these breeds.Guess where they are at night?Sleeping in the house with the family.Where they should be.

Your pup should be a part of your family,inside.Have you researched this breed?Have you raised a pup before?

Sorry if I sounded harsh.But it really upset me reading what you posted.

SnowDancer
March 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I agree with all posters who are against leaving your dog outside all day - as a pup or as an adult. Your home is his home - and I would worry sick about what might happen to my dog if left outside - kennel or not - in this day and age. You can get some very large kennels that you can leave indoors with his toys etc. - you can even get one so big he can have a "toilet area" if necessary. I know that there are differing opinions on toilet areas in kennels/crates, but sometimes nature does call. Dogs are part of the family -my American Eskimo wouldn't think of stayng in an outside kennel for even 5 minutes just to do his business - unless I was in it with him. I wish he would while I watched form the window - Toronto has been very cold. He has issues with the crate gates to begin with. Perhaps you dog will turn out to be a non-chewer that you can leave loose in the house. Or a room in the basement that can be made comfortable. I would ignore the advice of friends who think that your dog should spend most of his time outdoors "because theirs did" - it is you dog you should be thinking of. And a happy dog is a better socialized dog.

Gripenfelter
March 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM
I bought a huge 48" cage on Saturday (Pics will be on his homepage next weekend).

I still don't feel right leaving him confined in the cage but I'm doing two things right now anyways:

1) Since this post, I have spoken with his breeder and my dog's obedience school instructer who are both encouraging me to slowly get him adjusted to an outdoor kennel. They both recommended putting him in the kennel for short periods of time and slowly increasing it in 15 minute increments over the next couple of months.

2) I'm having my mother come to my house, on the days that the puppy would be by himself for 8hrs, and let him out to play or go potty for 4hrs. She's been doing this since I brought him home.

My wife will be on maternity leave in 3 months and she will stay home with him full time after that until he is old enough to stay unsupervised while we are at work.

Also just so you guys don't think I'm a tyrant... :party:

1) 3 times a week he plays with a Bouvier for 2hrs at a time.

2) He has obedience class on Tuesdays.

3) My mother babysits him on mon, wed, fri. My wife leaves for work late on tues and thurs. At the most he's alone for 4hrs during the week.

4) On Sat and Sun we go to a local dog park to socialize with other dogs and small children at the local pet store.

Prin
March 21st, 2005, 11:34 PM
:) Yey. Nuff said.

heeler's rock!
March 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
That's great to hear!! :) I hope you don't think when I offer advice like that, that I'm doing it because I think you're not doing enough for your pup. I just want mal owners to be careful and diligent in training and such as I've seen first hand what leaving a mal to it's own devices can do.

I'm very glad that you are socializing and spending time with your pup!! YAY!! :party: