Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Underground fences?

dmc123
March 17th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Anyone have an underground fence system?

I like the idea and think I could train my dogs to understand the boundaries, but what does one do about stray dogs that come into the area your dogs are restricted to?

Never figured that one out, if anyone has ideas, I would love to hear. I like my chain link fence, keeps mine safe and keeps others out.

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM
what does one do about stray dogs that come into the area your dogs are restricted to?

Nothing you can do. This is one of the problems of these type fences - anyone or anything may enter your property and attack or steal your pets.

Another problem is that a dog with high prey drive may go right through the fence if he sees something he really wants on the other side, but probably won't return through it.

Thirdly, during power outages, your dog is free to leave your property. I've seen this happen!

dmc123
March 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM
That is not for me. Thanks Lucky, I have always wondered about that.

goldenblaze
March 17th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Invisable fence is great in my opinion, I have the fence it works very well for my dogs. The training 2 full weeks will show how to teach the dog about the beep... 10 feet mine is set at..before any shock.

It in no way hurts the dog, mine dogs both know where the lines are and don't even try to go outside of the boundaries.
I first shocked myself to feel what they would, it's like when you walk in front of a TV the shock is the same.

People believe the dog will go through, I can't say it enough...it is all in the training. Follow the book that comes with the fence and it works. My boys have not been shocked in mths and won't be again I'm sure. They hear the beep and back up. Invisable fence is well worth the money and time in training. No fence is a babysetter... no power has not made a diffrence with my dogs..they know how far to go so no power they still stay in their yard. I know many people with Labs (hyper) and they use the fence no problems...training...

Dahlia
March 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I've been thinking about this, too. We have a wooden privacy fence around our back yard but it has dips under it where Sophie can get out. She tries it sometimes and I tell her, no, Sophie, come back here. And she does, but when she's older and I can just open the door and let her out, she might sneak off. Especially if she smells a rabbit or something.

This summer I plan on planting flowers all around the inside border of the fence and I don't want her digging in them or getting out so I thought maybe an underground fence would be a good idea.

dmc123
March 17th, 2005, 07:19 PM
but what about other dogs, golden? not scared another will come in on your baby?

goldenblaze
March 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
dmc123, I live on a road with 3 other dogs..all goldens and all friendly.... they come in my yard to play as Blaze sets and waits with his ball for them to enter.

goldenblaze
March 17th, 2005, 07:24 PM
As for dogs running if they see something they want on the other side.... Jordie HATES cats..... I live beside a farm there must be 25 barn cats that walk by daily... Jordie will not go over that line... training!

amber416
March 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question (and it probably does), but if it's so much training and not the shock of the fence, why not keep your money and just rely on training and some other kind of deterent. Or was your dog getting shocked a big part of the training?

goldenblaze
March 17th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question (and it probably does), but if it's so much training and not the shock of the fence, why not keep your money and just rely on training and some other kind of deterent. Or was your dog getting shocked a big part of the training?

The first week of training the fence is off.... the flags are placed around where you want the dog to learn. Second week you have the power on, the collars on. While on a leash you walk the dog to the flag and pull back...tell the dog good boy give treat if you choose. Do this 10/15 minutes 5/6 times pers day. The dog learns to stay back from flags... slowly remove flags so many a day till there are no more... Jordie has been shocked maybe 4 times (cats walking by) Blaze 3 times while traning... that 's all. June of last yr the fence was put in. The shock is not needed to train..the beep works as training.

mona_b
March 17th, 2005, 10:20 PM
The other thing is(and this has happened)that if your dog is out there when it rains,it can and will get electricuted.I remember Luba posted a link.And it did actually have a pic of a dog that it happened to.And trust me,it was horrible. :sad:

honeybee4
March 18th, 2005, 07:16 AM
When I first got Harley, I thought it would be a great idea to get an underground fence. I trained him on it. But everything I put him outside he just sat down and wasn't having any fun cause I think he thought if he moved he would get shocked, however that being said, as soon as he seen someone walking down the street, he would run as fast as he could through it and then he wouldn't come back in, he just sat on the other side. I ended up shutting it off. I felt so bad for him, he never wanted to go outside, he would do his business and then just sit by the door until I let him back in.

But I do know other people that use it and they love it. Some have even been able to shut the fence off and just leave the collar on the dog and the dog thinks the fence is on and will not leave their property. So I guess it all depends.

MegShawnMom
March 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM
If you don't have a fence and now using a tiedown then a invsible fencing system would be good.some dogs will tke the shock and run but they would of done that anyways.
Other dogs/cats/people will be able to get on your property and you dog can only chase them to the line-you don't want your dog to chase the others down the street or into the woods-you don't know what will happen if they do catch the other dog.Who would be there to stop the fighting,Lord forbit if it was a kid.
During power outages-ie. ice storms ,rainstorms my dog would be inside.We have a back up generator just for those special days.
I hate seing a dog on a tiedown with a very limited run,it's far better to have this system where the dog is trained to respect that 'line' and enjoy the outdoors.

goldenblaze
March 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Blaze swims with his collar on they will not get electricuted!
Many people have their own opinion on this fence, no one I know have had problems with dog leaving the yard or getting hurt. I love it trust it and my dogs. I say do what is best for each family. Many yr ago the fences were different, now they are safe and the HS even agrees. To each their own but I'm happy with it and will always use one. :)

Gazoo
March 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM
No offense Goldenblaze...but you've been lucky!!!

The electric fences are a crisis waiting to happen. If the doogies see something they really want to on the other side they will go after it.

A doogie running full tilt after something it wants isn't going to give a royal flying hoot about training, beeps or shocks!! And once they're outside the beep and shock will confuse them and keep them out.

The other issue is an aggressive stray can wander right in and challenge your dogs territory and that can turn ugly.

Nothing is as good or as effective as a real fence.

Lucky Rescue
March 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
No offense Goldenblaze...but you've been lucky!!!

The electric fences are a crisis waiting to happen. If the doogies see something they really want to on the other side they will go after it.

A doogie running full tilt after something it wants isn't going to give a royal flying hoot about training, beeps or shocks!! And once they're outside the beep and shock will confuse them and keep them out.

The other issue is an aggressive stray can wander right in and challenge your dogs territory and that can turn ugly.

Nothing is as good or as effective as a real fence.

Amen to all the above. I've seen dogs go through them - one was a GR named Elvis who left on a regular basis. I often found him running the streets and would take him home.

I've seen 3 dogs milling around in the middle of a busy road after the power went off. Luckily none were killed.

IF you want an invisible fence, make sure you are always out with your dog.

goldenblaze
March 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM
No offense taken but I do not agree. I have seen many dogs trained well and never leave the yard no matter what was on the other side. My two dogs have never tried to leave and won't... people walk by with dogs... cats go by and my two dogs sit and watch. I have no need to worry about the power going off and my boys running over the fence...... they DON"T go near the fence no matter what is going on... collars on or not. Still say training matters.

Prin
March 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I just have to say that dogs are animals. Animals have instincts. Training or no training, you can never be sure that your dog's prey drive won't kick in one day and get him killed.

I just never leave my dogs alone where I can't see them. I don't trust what people will feed them, what they might find to eat, or that they won't get hurt outside alone. Would you leave a toddler outside alone? Not me.

And if they have no prey drive, what are they supposed to do outside alone? If they have no prey drive, they won't be looking at birds, squirrels or chasing bugs. I don't know any dogs like that, but if I did they would surely be bored....

Dukieboy
March 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I read somewhere that the shock can trigger an aggressive reaction in dogs who have never previously displayed aggression.

goldenblaze
March 18th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Dukieboy..never read that but I know my dogs are fine... they don't get the shocks. Like I said to each their own. I will continue to use it and love it, if you don't agree or want to use one than don't.... As for running after something..... my boys must be pretty special..they watch everything go by and don't try to run. I live on a road where there might be 5 cars perday... not really busy so this fence is perfect for us.

As for being bored outside... mine are not bored... over two acres fenced.. lots of room to run and play.

Luvmypit
March 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM
What can you use for a dog that you want to bring camping or to a cottage but want him to be able to run loose but not take off? I really hate having him on a long leash as he gets tangled up and knocks things down with his chain. Or if we are not in his chian reach he has a freak out and cries and jumps in our direction. Is there anything I can use for that? Is there a better chain for stuff like that? We want to go to the cottage this year for a week and want him to be able to go swimming and stuff and kinda be free. Would the invincible fence work in that instance or would it have to be something that is trained? Goldenblaze I agree to each your own. It works for yours and that is great. For most though I agree if you have dogs with a strong prey drive no matter whats in there way they will take off.

Prin
March 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
What can you use for a dog that you want to bring camping or to a cottage but want him to be able to run loose but not take off? I really hate having him on a long leash as he gets tangled up and knocks things down with his chain. Or if we are not in his chian reach he has a freak out and cries and jumps in our direction. Is there anything I can use for that? Is there a better chain for stuff like that? We want to go to the cottage this year for a week and want him to be able to go swimming and stuff and kinda be free. Would the invincible fence work in that instance or would it have to be something that is trained? Goldenblaze I agree to each your own. It works for yours and that is great. For most though I agree if you have dogs with a strong prey drive no matter whats in there way they will take off.
I would suggest hard-core training. Other people may suggest a remote collar but I find that brutal. i don't think it is that easy to set up an electric fence at a campground... Or in water!!!

Lucky Rescue
March 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Luvmypit, I have a pit bull too. She is very obedient and good, but if she sees a rabbit run by, she's gone and nothing will stop her and certainly not an invisible fence.

You need to teach your dog how to behave on a line. He can easily be taught not to lunge and whine. I have a cable made for tying out dogs. It doesn't tangle on itself and is super strong.

You cannot take a pit bull anywhere and let it run loose. Even if he's the most friendly and sweet dog in the world, if he gets into a scrap with someone else's dog, you know pit bulls will be banned from the campground.

Luvmypit
March 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM
ya I really was not so much asking for camping. I remember the only time capone has ever been off leash was when we went camping and my 8 year old stepdaughter opened the tent and he went straight for the family walking by. I was frantic and I think he felt funny too because I said capone and he instantly came back. Kinda suprised me really. But Im talking more for a remote cottage. I am fine with tying him up I just want him to be able to go swimming. He loves his baths but has never gotten to swim. So what kind of tie do you use LR? I need something that doesn't weigh him down and that doesn't tangle.

goldenblaze
March 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM
But I do know other people that use it and they love it. Some have even been able to shut the fence off and just leave the collar on the dog and the dog thinks the fence is on and will not leave their property. So I guess it all depends.

Well said, many on here don't agree.... how many have trained a dog and used this fence... My dogs are perfect with my fence, I will continue to use it and allow my boys to play have fun while outside. Both boys go outside with no collar often and still stay in area... 1000 feet of play area... works for us.