Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drinking from the Toliet?

Shamrock
March 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
This may seem a strange question :crazy: ( I did a search for this but came up empty)
Do any of your pets drink from the toliet?
I've heard of dogs doing this..but cats?

I've have lots of pets over many years, but my new adult cat Zack is the first one who's ever shown interest in the toliet bowl. This seems really unusual to me... and especially for a cat. He has to position himself on the seat, duck down - it sure looks awkard to accomplish. I'm not even sure if he IS drinking.. but he is doing something...(maybe he wants to use it??? ;)

Should I be trying to discourage this habit? The toliet's clean, of course.. but the idea of it still seems weird to me. :confused:
It wont hurt him at all will it? It's just water, but I worry about any cleaner residue - have to be careful on that.
:ca:

honeybee4
March 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
My dog, Harley, will only drink out of the toilet. We always have a fresh bowl of water for him beside his dish, but he will not drink it. If we put the toilet seat down, he will whine until we put it up or not drink anything.

Trinitie
March 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Do NOT let any animal drink from the toilet. It's a hotbed of bacteria that can be very harmful to their systems. Not to mention the residue that remains from the cleansers you use. You might think they're gone after you flush a few times, but they remain.

Keep your dog's water bowl topped up with COLD fresh water, and keep the toilet lid closed, and they shouldn't try to push to have it opened again.

Shamrock
March 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Oh! I didnt realize this, Trinitie! I will be sure to keep the seat down then.
I sure dont want to put him at risk for ingesting anything harmful.
I actually thought this was kind of a common practice (with dogs) but have never had this issue come up before..

Thanks for the info! :thumbs up

Trinitie
March 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Dogs will try to drink from the toilet, if given half a chance, because the water is always cold and "fresh" (meaning no tidbits of food or hair floating). If they already drink from the toilet, they should be retrained not to for their own health.

Close the bathroom door and put a fresh bowl of water (ice cold) outside the bathroom door. If they're thirsty enough, they'll drink it.

Trinitie
March 17th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I actually thought this was kind of a common practice (with dogs) but have never had this issue come up before..

Thanks for the info! :thumbs up

You're very welcome! Most people think it's ok, and allow the dog access. If you don't know, how can you possibly know better? Asking questions is the key.

Britishvixen21
March 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Shamrock, I thought only dogs did this but I caught Mya once or twice just as she was about to do it, I have to be really careful with the toilet seat now. and yes it does look uncomfortable for them LOL.

Trinitie
March 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Very true Vixen! A cat will drink from the toilet just as readily as a dog, if given a chance. NO animal should be allowed. Not to mention, people with birds are apt to forget that the bird, if still able to fly, can fly in and drown. Best thing to do is just close the bathroom door. That way nothing can get in and be harmed!

Prin
March 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
When we bring our dogs to my dad's they clean out his little dog's water bowl in two slurps and then two minutes later we here the toilet bowl lid slam down. My doggy actually lifts the lid with his beak and drinks... Only when he is desperate though. I don't let him at home so when his water is empty, he makes licking noises next to the toilet now because he knows I will come running. He's smarter than we like sometimes.

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2005, 02:20 PM
One of my cats would drink from nowhere BUT the toilet for the last 6 or 7 years of her life. :o

Britishvixen21
March 17th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Mya will also sit on the side of the bath when im in it and lap the water off the sides of the bath tub and once im out and the water had drained shes in there licking the bottom of the bath tub!

Eleni
March 17th, 2005, 03:02 PM
my cats drink from the shower, the dog however is not allowed in the bathroom, I dont feel confident in the clenliness of the toilet bowl water.

If i wont let my 2 yr old play in the toilet for fear of germs, i certainly wont let the dog drink the water from it

Eleni

Trinitie
March 17th, 2005, 03:47 PM
If i wont let my 2 yr old play in the toilet for fear of germs, i certainly wont let the dog drink the water from it

Good point!

nymph
March 17th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Yes one of my parents' cats Jianjian did this when she was younger, she's a Norwegian forest cat.

Not only she'd drink from the toilet, but also liked to drink from running tap. We were initially puzzled by that as the water dish is almost always full, but later discovered that she just likes her water COLD.

To correct this "problem" (I actually don't think it's a problem, my parents don't use the drop-in toilet cleansers anyway), you can either put the lid on, try to keep a fresh cup of water right by the toilet (my mom puts a cup of water on the bathroom counter), or get one of those fancy water dispensers that automatically dispense fresh/flowing water when the cat approaches it. Yes it has a laser control sensor that automatically activates the dispenser, an acquaintance of mine actually used that for his 2 cats!

Karin
March 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Ciara has no idea what a toilet is, I plan on keeping it that way too.

Besides, the only time she has been in the bathroom was the only time she fit in it, her first day home weighing 25 lbs and her first bath.

When we stayed at our office for 5 days during & following Hurricane Jeanne she followed me into the very spacious bathroom. I flushed and she acted like some evil ogre was after her...I guess she rates a toilet up there with the evil suck machine. (vacuum cleaner)

Britishvixen21
March 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM
LOL @ evil suck machine!! I was thinking of getting one of those dispensers for Mya as her water is always full of hair. (I change it every day) and it never looks touched. I think she also likes hers cold. Any idea how much they are?

Prin
March 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Dispensers don't work. I got one for the same reason and they still prefer the toilet. What we need around here are porcelain drinking bowls. The porcelain keeps the water cold. Are there any thick, white, porcelain bowls for doggies on the market?

nymph
March 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
LOL @ evil suck machine!! I was thinking of getting one of those dispensers for Mya as her water is always full of hair. (I change it every day) and it never looks touched. I think she also likes hers cold. Any idea how much they are?

Not sure, but I have seen some in the range of $40-$50, like this:
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/4f9eea52d4c2ff10b2df2df2ceb4aa09.jpg

The one I've seen my friend using had a laser beam, so it only pours out water when the cat approaches it, and also it's got some mechanism to chill the water, real fancy stuff. :rolleyes: