Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

driving licences

jackieb
March 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I am ringing around for cheaper insurance quotes at the moment they asked me what my driving licence was its a G what does this mean

happycats
March 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM
The G basically means any car van or small truck, each letter means a different thing.
example: A is tractor trailer, and B is school bus and C is a regular bus.

Hope this helps :D

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
A G is a full level basic license for Ontario. If you have a G1, you have a level one license, and can only drive with someone with a G in your car. If you have a G2, you have almost a full license, but there are a few restrictions. Once you do a final test, you get a G license.

I still only have a G2, because my license expired while I was away at University, and they made me start back at the G1 again. I still have 2 years to do my G test...but I've been putting it off. I was really pissed that they made me go back. Why should I have to spend another $240?? The G system of licensing is all a money grab.

At my old job, a lady hit someone at a crosswalk by accident. The officer looked at her license, and asked her why she was driving alone with a G1. She didn't know the system had changed. Her license had expired a previous year, and she just went and renewed it, not knowing she only had a lerners permit. Lesson learned, don't let your license expire!!! Because they will make you go threw the WHOLE G license system again, even if you had been driving for 20 years, they will make you start from the beginnning.

Safyre
March 17th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Raingirl - Luckily, the 'go back to start' after expiration is WELL KNOWN in the area I am in.... everyone was warning me when mine was close to go get my G
I know it seems pointless to go get your G, because with the G2 you have basically the same priviledges.
One of the BIG differences, for teenagers,young adults, is that with the G2 license, you are not allowed to have ANY ALCOHOL in your system. If you blow anything, your license gets pulled, suspended. One of my, not so smart, friends got his suspended for 2 years, for that very reason.
If are the type to have a drink with dinner... don't get caught going through a RIDE program ...

mafiaprincess
March 18th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Well, Ontario has proposed legislation that would change a G2 if it goes through. It wouldn't affect anyone who currently has one, but it would then make more sense to want to move on.

"Current provincial legislation limits the amount of passengers in a vehicle driven by a G2 driver to the number of working seat belts. However, the ontario government is proposing a change in the legislation regulating the number of passengers in a vehicle driven by a G2 (graduated licencing) driver, aged 19 and under. The restrictions would include:
Limiting these G2 drivers, in their first six months, to carrying one passenger, aged 19 and under.
Limiting the number of passengers, 19 and under, for the balance of the G2 licence (or until the driver turns 20 years of age) to three"

I still have a g2 as well, I don't have my car for the 8 months I am at university a year, but if I was younger when/ if those changes went through I'd feel pressed to getting my G a lot faster.

Safyre
March 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
From the outlook of a teenager who loves to cruise: (insert whiny type voice)Those changes would suck! Why are they doing that???
From the outlook of a young adult: It just may help the number of accidents go down further. group mentality and all.
I know that myself, if my friends are in the car, I drive differently than I do if i am alone.
BTW, I'm 22