Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spring is on the way!

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Here are some pics I took at the Bramalea tropical greenhouse at Chinguacousy Park.

First, a double pink hibiscus.

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I don't know what this one is called, but it had small white flowers and red berries, and it smelled amazing!!!

lezzpezz
March 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Thank you! I needed that! :thumbs up

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Here is a single yellow hibiscus.

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Here is a pink fluffy one that I can't remember the name of right now.

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Here is a pic of a bird of paradise (I love this pic)

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 10:33 AM
And here is Odin with my hybrid yellow hibiscus plant. I got one bloom the other day, but have about another 10 on the way. It's yellow on the edges, then white in the middle of the petal, and blood red at the centre. I love my hibiscus.

I just looked it up..the name of the Hybrid is "Lutea".

lezzpezz
March 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I have the exact same hybiscus at my neighbour's house for the winter. I don't get enough light, so she has offered to babysit it for me. It has lost most of it's leaves, but will bounce back. It is my favourite plant on my deck in the summer as it is always in bloom!

happycats
March 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I see Odin shares your same great taste in plants :D

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
yes.."taste" is the correct word as I found him eating it the other day. At least it is non-toxic! All the rest of my plants I keep in my covered balcony away from him, as they could be toxic (they are in the Oleander family which is toxic, but these are a lot less toxic than oleander).

jiorji
March 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Here is a pink fluffy one that I can't remember the name of right now.

i think that's called a Mimosa...or i think it's a sensitive plant. The leaves close in if you touch it.
and YES!! spring IS coming. My mom's crocuses in the garden are peeking out :D

chico2
March 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Here are a couple from my garden last summer...I can't wait!!

chico2
March 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM
one more,I have tons,but the files are too big,I will make them smaller another time..

chico2
March 17th, 2005, 03:58 PM
and the last one,for now :D

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Nice pics Chico. I wish I lived in a house! My garden one day is going to be JAM PACKED!!

Right now I just grow tropicals and other flowers in pots in my covered balcony.

maddoxies
March 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Odin looks like he is checking out that pot as a possible place to stash a toy

chico2
March 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Raingirl,you'll have your house eventually,I love my gardens...I have it jam-packed,I also have lots of roses all around the house.
In the house I have plants everywhere,even the bathroom :D
You can have lots of different flowers growing on a balcony too..

happycats
March 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I was just wondering, do all animal lovers love gardening to??
I Love to garden! and everyone here seems to show an intrest in it as well.
Isn't that wierd :confused:

chico2
March 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Happycats,I know in my case,I love everything outdoors,get excited when I see a new bird,when my perennials start popping out of the ground..I LOVE spring and summer.
I grew up a city-girl in an apt and I really appreciate the beauty of nature...too few people have the time to"stop and smell the roses" :sad:

pollito
March 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
omg, I live right by the Chinguacousy Park, its a small world after all.

raingirl
March 18th, 2005, 09:47 AM
My BF's parents live in the H section right there. I love chinguacousy park. I actually live in downtown Brampton.

doggy lover
March 20th, 2005, 07:25 PM
this is a pic of my orchid it blooms for months, I'll be so happy when spring comes. I got a digital camera for christmas so I can take lots of pics of my flowers this summer.

doggy lover
March 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
wow that turned out big

melanie
March 21st, 2005, 03:14 PM
oh so sad am i in the southern hemisphere, today i pulled out my scarf for our walk, good by loving and nourishing summer, hello cruel harsh winter grrr( i fear this will be another winter of my discontent :D )

raingirl
March 21st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Melanie, I can't envy you. Sorry! You live in a land where my favorite flower grows like weeds! (Frangipani). If you ever want to try and mail a cutting to me...to me to see if it gets here and past customs, feel free!!

Also..you have David Wenham :love: ...drooooool. I want to see all his movies, but can't find most of them here.

melanie
March 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM
i loooove frangipanis. i want one in a pot, i have seen it done if you keep it root bound and they flower in pots too.. nothing more beautiful that a bowl of frangipanis on a table, so refreshing.

oh you mean diver dan from sea change, oh yummy yummy, yes i love aussie men, some of them are justy sooooooo hot, like diver dan :D i once had a boyfriend that looked very similar, i am partial to red heads, he was lovely when his mouth was shut but jsut sooo good to look at, eye candy i call that :D

raingirl
March 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
I have 8 frangipanis in pots. In three years, no flowers yet. I haven't smelt a flower since 2002 when I went to hawaii. Of course, canada isn't the most ideal place to grow them. They are tropical, and our summers don't get hot enough to stimulate flowering. I've got them in my covered balcony, with a heater, fan, and light. I hope the greenhouse like atmosphere will get them to bloom! I've lost track of what colours they are though!

Yeah, David Wenham is Diver Dan. I loved him in lord of the rings as Faramir. I have a small obsession going on with him...don't tell my BF!!

chico2
March 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Ok girls,picture of frangipanis please,what on earth is it???I thought I was quiet knowledgable about plants,but have never heard of f :confused: rangipanis

raingirl
March 22nd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Go to this website and you can see tons of them. I am in love with them!!

http://www.exoticplumeria.com/

http://www.exoticplumeria.com/images/aztecgold.jpg

meb999
March 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
I was just wondering, do all animal lovers love gardening to??
I Love to garden! and everyone here seems to show an intrest in it as well.
Isn't that wierd :confused:

wow, that is weird...I love gardening as well. My favorites are dahlias and Daylilies. I have a zillion daylilies in my garden, every day is like a surprise, you never know which ones will bloom! I just potted my dahlias (all 18 of them) so they could be ready to bloom when I transplant them in spring. Does anyone else have Dahlias? How do you keep the bulbs in winter? I'm asking because I lost 2 HUGE bulbs over the winter (they rotted out :yuck: )

chico2
March 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Raingirl thank's,they are beautiful...In my garden I don't really have anything fancy,but I have Hibiscus,Rhodos,Lillies,lots of grasses in different colours,Daisies,Coneflowers,blackeyed Susans,Butterfly bushes and many others I don't remember the names(old age :D )I also have Lilac bushes,Dogwoods and other flowering bushes,plus about 15 rosebushes etc..etc..and I have a spot where I grow wildflowers,love the Batchelor-uttons oh yes,I also have a Magnolia-tree and lots of hedges..and more stuff,keeps me busy in the summer,but it is my passion,together with my animals and hubby fits in there somewhere too :D