Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Desperately Need Someone In California

canine14
March 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I know that I am insane, but I really want to adopt this poor cat. I need someone in CA to help me though because I can't get through to the Shelter by phone.

By the way, this is a KILL shelter so I am desperate for help. I have never before been so struck by a cat's photo.

http://www.ventura.org/animreg/cat-frame.html (ID 361540)

You can't miss her: she is the the torti with the mangled face.

Lisa
harryis21@yahoo.com

PS I am never surfing the adoptions sites again! I can't bear to look at a picture like this and turn my back.

BMDLuver
March 17th, 2005, 09:14 AM
there's a gal in california on the petfinder site that is experienced with pulls and short term fosters and shipping. She may be able to help. Her signon name is Britogal. There are a few others as well. Post it on petfinder under urgent.

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Here is the Petfinder forum.
http://www.petfinder.com/messageboard/
I know someone in CA, but don't know how far she is.

How would you get this cat here?

I can also crosspost this on another cat forum!!

canine14
March 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I would have her flown. I found that Egg's transport went so smoothly from MI and the animal attendants who work for the airlines are excellent and caring.

I posted on the Petfinder site.

Doesn't she break your heart?

Lisa.

PS I would name her Holly.

BMDLuver
March 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM
if I can help in any way. That poor cat. God bless you for trying Lisa. Holly would be proud. :grouphug:

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM
OMG! How wonderful that you want to help this poor kitty! And yes, most airline personnel are great with pets - but I hate to fly any cat in cargo. They go not get enough oxygen (It's called the airline's dirty secret). If you could set up some sort of express. Siamese rescue for example has a group of people who will transport a cat across North America if need be. It's called the Meezer Express - I can ask if there are people available for a non Meezer in special circumstances? Would this cat not need care first though?

canine14
March 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Frankly, as long as she is stabilized I would like to get her here ASAP. That's why I thought of flying. Can these people help me pull though?

happycats
March 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Where on earth does this shelter get these cats from ??
Most of them look completely terrified !!
and 4 other have thier faces split open !! (See ID# A361537, A361391, A361556 and A361564)
Are these animals being abused or did they come from some kind of experimental lab ?? It is very disturbing looking at these poor cats.
I think something very horrible is going on .

canine14
March 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Happy,

I agree. I also can't seem to get through to them by phone or email so they do not seem too worried about finding these babies homes.

I've had no luck yet in finding someone from CA. Ugh.

Lisa.

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
To fly though, she needs to be healthy and requires certification from a vet indicating this. That's why I thought of vehicles. I doubt the airlines will fly a cat that is injured, even stablilized. Perhaps if she was accompanied by someone and had all her vaccinations - but even then I have my doubts.

As to where the cats come from, I think this is a "typical" pound and they round up pets, "strays" and ferals and well - I don't want to think of the outcome - like what happens to those they claim are " unhandleable and considered to be feral"

canine14
March 17th, 2005, 12:26 PM
That's true, but I'm not even at that point as I can't get anyone to pull her. I am beyond frustrated and just sit here checking all the boards for responses and nada. I hate being so helpless.

canine14
March 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I finally reached the Shelter. The cat was burned with some kind of caustic substance. Apparently, she is still very friendly. I think I may have someone to help me in CA.

The more I work with animals, the less I like people.

Lisa.

BMDLuver
March 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM
That poor sweetie. This is when I really have trouble not considering "an eye for an eye" approach.

chico2
March 18th, 2005, 08:48 AM
OMG,the tears are flowing...that shelter does nothing to make these kitties look adoptable.I suppose they want to show the cruelty of our fellow humans....and are hoping to find rescuers like Canine14.
I know rescuers see it all the time,you don't need to go to California for cruelty,but these poor cats look so pityful... :sad:
I wish I had not looked at them,it's better for my health not seeing these kind of horrors :evil: Poor,poor little loves :sad:
Best of luck to you and the sad little kitty :thumbs up

mesaana
March 18th, 2005, 09:00 AM
*sigh* stupid people!

You're doing something great, Lisa. I really hope you can get this kitty. I really wish I could help. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate.

And please keep updating us.

Lyne

canine14
March 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

She was pulled last night by a volunteer from Siamese Rescue. The shelter considered this little tortie a write-off because she is in such poor condition (4 lbs), has burns, and is older (8-10 yrs). Madeline is bringing Gracie to the vet today to see when she can fly to Montreal because the cat is not in as bad a shape as the shelter said.

We thought about doing a local story to see if one of the airlines, Air Canada, would transport her in the cabin with a compassionate employee.

Lisa.