Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie boots

maddoxies
March 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I just saw some news footage of the winner of the Alaska DogSled Race crossing the finish line. The entire sled team were wearing boots. I complain about putting 8 boots on in the morning, could you imagine dressing an entire dog team !!!!!. :eek: :eek: I can't even count how many paws/boots that would be.

I wonder if he would share the secret with us, of how to get all those boots on (and get the dogs to leave them on, while he is dressing the rest of them).

GunnerX
March 17th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I'm sure they were trained that way and probably prefer the comfort of the boots instead of the cold snow. Ariel can wear her boots all day if she has too. She doesn't struggle when I put them on her. In fact, she's so used to them she actually lifts her paws up when I go to grab them. When its time to take them off, she extends her paws so I can get them easily. She looks quite cute when she does it. :D

maddoxies
March 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I am sure they are fine with it. My guys are ok with their boots too. I just complain about the time it takes to put on 8 boots, plus Valentin's sweater and coat. I just could not imagine putting on 24 to 32 doggie boots at one time. :crazy: :crazy:

greaterdane
March 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Ozzy loves his booties. He knows that he can walk in the water and wont get wet and does this on purpose. When we first put them on him, he dipped his foot in then full out jumped in it and looked at us as if to say HAHAHA i can do it and not get wet. His are like mittens with reflectors on them. He is such a priss it makes it easier to walk. The rest on the other hand, its their goal to kill the booties mommy trys to put on them. I could not put them on a whole sled team. I would need a bootie team to do this. :p

SnowDancer
March 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Goldengirl, I am glad that your Dachshund has boots that work. When I tried them on my little guys - now waiting for me in dog heaven - they didn't have the variety they do now, and since the Dachshund paw and leg sort of run together, they just didn't work. Know what you mean though about getting them ready - but I was very happy with the quick in and out with them in Toronto's weather. I am just waiting for the day when my Eskimo will realize that boots will make his walks much more enjoyable. I have seen so many white dogs stick their feet, 1-2-3-4 into their boots - wouldn't have thought of going out without them. I really miss my Dachshunds. My Eskie is trying to be an "EskieHound".

maddoxies
March 18th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Snowdancer: My golden has the "professional" mutlukks, but the mini-doxie has little felt "mitts" with a vinyl or leather pad on the bottom. I could not find Muttluks to fit the mini-doxie. Velcro closings are my best friend :thumbs up

I am trying to get a good picture of Valentin in his new tracksuit/dustcover/doxie cosie, whatever you want to call it. It is made from a pj pattern, but in shiny purple/blue spandex. Since he is a long haired mini, his coat was picking up leaves, twigs, burrs etc everytime we would go out. And he LOVES to run with the "big dogs" (he thinks he is a golden too).

I put Valentin's little mitts on strings (like we had as kids), so if one comes off, we don't lose it. This makes walks much less stressful, always counting mitts, got kinda dizzy too :crazy: watching those little feet moving so fast ;)

As for puddles, the little twit JUMPS (I am talking belly flops) in the biggest puddles he can find. The more frozen slush floating in them, the better he likes it. A rainsuit is next on our shopping list, if only I could find a mini-doxie wetsuit

goldenblaze
March 18th, 2005, 08:45 PM
You are too funny, your dogs have more outfits than any other I know... both your kids are very lucky. :)

maddoxies
March 18th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I think Valentin has a better wardrobe than I do. Champ just has his Muttluks and raincoat (and a great bandana collection). I feel for him as Valentin gets more clothes than Champ. I am thinking of getting a Cooler for Champ for those +40 summer days.

(sorry for the hijack)

SnowDancer
March 19th, 2005, 10:00 AM
goldengirl: Oh, the memories this brings back of my Dachshunds - especially when we had 4 at one time! All rescues from people who had thought that Dachshunds were like little stuffed toys - not the possible big dogs in disguise. The hijinks they got up to were wild. I had really hoped that someone would have launched a line of Dachshund friendly clothing - my last little guy died last April - he had a cute Canine Equipment coat - built for the barrel chest, but that was it. When I was in Europe where there are so many Dachshunds, I looked everywhere, hoping to find boots, anything - my pups were all short-hairs - thankfully so at least I didn't have to deal with stuff catching on their fur. I can't wait to see a picture of Valentin, in and out of his gear. Re the "Doxie fest" in London - that should be a blast - particularly if there are too many alphas in attendance. My 2 Wonder Wieners - the only 2 with back problems, were very benevolent alphas - I never made a decision they didn't agree - we got along just fine. Valentin will definitely be needing his coat for quite some time according to the weater report - cold up until June - and Dachshunds, like me, prefer it very warm as I am sure you know. I can't post pictures - wish I could post one of my Eskie in his fleece jacket - he looks like a white wiener with a bouffant at either end.

dogmelissa
April 10th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Ozzy loves his booties. He knows that he can walk in the water and wont get wet and does this on purpose. <snip> His are like mittens with reflectors on them. He is such a priss it makes it easier to walk.

Did you make water-proof boots or buy them? My little guy doesn't like getting wet, but I can't get boots to stay ON him (feet are too small), so I've been making him coats with boots attached--sorta like baby sleepers. Now if I could find a material that's water proof, I could make something for him to go out in the rain or after the rain and not get wet at all--or even just boots so he doesn't have to get his feet wet.

Thanks!
Melissa