Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat toy suggestions

L'il Frankie
March 17th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Our cat loves to play with plasic bottle caps, but is scared of toy mice, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else she might like (interactive ones would be good, she tends to play by herself). She also seems to be quite bored lately, any ideas?

Thanks.

amber416
March 17th, 2005, 04:33 AM
My cat is really picky when it comes to cat toys, too. She's not too impressed with the toy mice either, or the interactive toys like strings with things attached to it. She also likes bottle caps but she really goes crazy for the plastic ring from milk containers. She will play with one of those for hours but i only let her have them when i can keep an eye on her, in case she would ever chew one apart and try and eat it or something. Have you tried a laser pointer? You would obviously have to play with her in this case but it's really amusing to watch. Just make sure you switch it up with something she can actually catch so she doesn't get discouraged. Also, my cat has this toy that's a big plastic circle with a few openings in the side and a ball rolling around inside. She likes to chase the ball around the circle, pushing it through the openings. Hopefully some of this helps, good luck!

badger
March 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM
I bought Simon one of those plastic rings with a ball inside that runs around the perimeter. Available at Canadian Tire in Canada. The cat can get its paw in from the side or the top to keep the ball rolling. He loves it! Costs about 8 dollars. Tip: anchor it on a chair leg so he doesn't have to chase it all over the room. Also not much fun for a cat with FAT paws because the slits are too narrow. Badger can only watch. Here's a pic:

Safyre
March 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM
my cats love the toys that are attached to a string... they chase me around with it
I have a 'cat spa' as well, not really a toy, but a place to groom themselves, and my cats ADORE the thing!

With the toy the last poster showed... you might have to show the cat what to do to play wit it, playing with it yourself at first. my cats, are really neither here or there on that toy. they think its fun when they play with it, but never really seek it out to play with.
Umm.. I am actually going to a pet store later today to pick up a Society Finch (anyone got any better suggestions where to get birds?) so I'll look at the cat toys and see if i can come up with anything

chico2
March 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Badger,I have the exact same thing....my cats do not entertain themselves... :( other than chasing each other and wrestling.
They have me sooo well trained,I have playtime for them and they know exactly what time to line up for play....no getting out of it :evil:
They like us to throw treats and they race for it,otherwise they like little hard bouncing rubberballs($1/bag at dollarstore).
I dried a bunch of catnip from their catnip-patch and whatever I rub it on they will play with,for a while...
Crunched up foilpaper is also a favourite,actually anything but their toys...

maddoxies
March 17th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I had one of those cat-ball tray things, but mine was open at the top with a centre pad for cat nip. The lip was curved so that the ball could not get out, but it was more accessible and visible.

There is also a small dog ball that makes noises when it rolls around, the little dog sized one is small enough for a cat to manipulate too.

I also had one of the plastic cat balls with the bell inside and suspended it from the leg of a kitchen chair. Bebe could swat at it and play with it without a human having to hold the other end of the string (great while you are at work).

luvmybeagles
March 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM
My cat had that ring toy, she didn't like it at all. She played with it maybe twice, looked at me, and her eyes plainly said to me, "This is the stupidest toy ever!" Turns out it did make an excellent dog toy though, up to the point where they chewed it enough to actually get the ball out. Then it made an excellent garbage can stuffer.

My kitty likes those string toys that are attached to a long pliable stick. (It also has a flexible rubber tip, so you don't accidentally stab kitty). You hold the stick (about 2 feet long) and the string dangles down with some kind of feather toy attached at the end. (I've also seen them with foil tassles on the end). You can make kitty chase that toy in about an 8 foot diameter, plus the long stick keeps your hands safe from batting paws.

My cat loves that thing, and will play with it as long as I'm willing to keep moving it.

Britishvixen21
March 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM
We have a make shift toy for Mya its a little mouse with catnip in tied to a stick she loves playing with it i run it along the floor and she hovers under the couch and pounces. We also have our play time and im let know about it, if i miss our play dates. Also that ring and ball thing, my friend when she adopted Hamish from the humane society got him one and I dont think hes let it out of his sight since. I must remember to get Mya one of those. Mya also loves the balls on the end of the elastic theres a ring at the end for your finger and you bounce it around. the only thing is Mya is a chewer and she chewed through the elastic within half and hour.

chico2
March 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM
BV,this chewing thing with Mya kind of surprises me,none of all my cats have ever chewed on wires etc...maybe when teething,but never wires..
Be careful with elastics,my Vinnie almost choked on one once,luckily I could pull it out of his mouth.He does get in to things,loves to eat choclate-bar wrappers,so I have to make sure I always close the garbagecan lid.

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
YY loves mice attached to string - you can get them at the dollar store and we must have 10 plus (tho usually 3 on the go at any one time, lol). I bought her Panic Mouse, an interactive electronic mouse but she prefers the dollar store stuff. She also likes a mouse attached to a spring that goes back and forth, and feather like toys. Anything I can string along if you like, lol She also has a wind up mouse that she will chase. She also likes to play chase with me - she will call me (she has a distinctive Meeser sound that seems to be like awwwroowwww that means "come and play".) Her louder merooooawwwrooo means "I am hungry".

Britishvixen21
March 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Chico, It is wierd isnt it, Ive known pups and dogs to chew but never cats. she will quite literally try and pull the hairbands out of my head shes chewed threw all of them, god knows where she finds them, and you know what the funny thing is, once its broken she loses interest. Like my cell phone charger which she climbed on top of the fridge to get, once shed chewed the thing in half she wasnt interested anymore, and the same thing with my MP3 wire which I left for no more than 30 seconds when I got up to get something from the table. chew, break, gone!! and the reason she loves those bouncy balls to much is not for the ball its the elastic she wants to chew. I am very careful now I dont take anything for chance and we only play with chewable things when im around. Anything that looks half chewable goes away LOL.

amber416
March 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Badger, tink loves her toy like that, too. That tip about the anchoring it on a chair leg is a good idea, she can really send that thing flying! I see someone mentioned the panic mouse...has anyone else tried it? I was thinking about getting it for tink but i don't want to spend the money if she's just going to ignore it. We have a closet full of stuff that she won't touch, hopefully the foster kitties are a little less picky.

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Yin Yin got Panic Mouse for Christmas - but you can buy it from Siamese rescue (at their gift shop online) for $20 US which is half price. YY liked it - she just prefers her dollar store mousies. Panic Mouse is good if I am busy and YY wants to play - I usually indulge her mind you but when I can't, she willl play with Panic Mouse. I think she likes the dollar store mice because I am on the end of it and there really is no substitute for what cats really want - your attention!

I also bought (for $4.99 on sale at a store that was going out of biz) that elctronic mouse - you wind it up (no batteries req) and it runs and she chases it.

Shamrock
March 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
My cats dont really care too much for the mice toys either, and the dog always seems to find and destroy them anyway.
They do like anything feather-like, and large carboard boxes to hide in and scratch. I bought a package of practice golf balls at Walmart - very light and inexpensive and they enjoy rolling these around sometimes.
I've heard some cats enjoy playing with these in the bathtub. (noisy!) :crazy:

I wish they would entertain themsleves better, but as none of my cats play with each other, I find they really only seem to enjoy extended play when I am running around with them.. :rolleyes: