Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you wear your vehicle seatbelt?

Shamrock
March 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I wear my seatbelt all of the time.
I feel more comfortable with it on than off, and I definitely feel safer.
And.... of course its the law here in Canada. ;)
I generally always buckle up before I pull away, but - a bad driving habit - sometimes I do start driving before its actually on. I always notice and buckle up before I get far.

I picked my dog up at the groomers this afternoon, and was kind of distracted. Three blocks away, I'm pulled over, and given a fine of $109.00 for no seatbelt. Oh no!
I've been driving for almost 30 years and have an absolutely clear driving record. No accidents, no points, only one speeding ticket in all this time.
I asked if I could just be let off with a warning this time? No chance...

Go ahead, ruin my day. :(
I was so dejected - even though I know I only have myself to blame.
Guess they get pretty tired of all these unbuckled drivers telling them how they usually "always" wear a seatbelt

I DO know people who never buckle up.... in spite of my protests that they should.
Well, that'lll teach me to not leave my driveway without seatbelt in place in the future. The newer cars have the alert that beeps until you belt up.. thats a good idea.

At least he didnt cite me for a dog on my lap... :rolleyes:
:ca:

Karin
March 16th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Yes I do. (Only since purchasing a SUV with the highest rollover history)

pollito
March 16th, 2005, 11:44 PM
when i seat in the front (passanger or driver) i can't leave without a seat belt, but when i seat at the back, i never usually wear it,

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2005, 02:06 AM
I absolutely wear my seatbelt and did even before it became mandatory in my province and then others and most states. (Are there any states where it is not mandatory - NH maybe (thinkib of "live free or die").

I have worked in an ER and seen the results of what happens to people without their seatbelt - that is if they manage to make it to the ER instead of the morgue. It is not a pretty picture. At the Womens'/Childrens' hospital with which i am affiliated, we have a great program called "Buckle Up Bay - giving parents a free baby seat and info about the safety of putting on one's seatbelt.

My own life was saved last autumn when I hit poor Bullwinkle (the moose) and the windshield and other windows in my vehicle blown out. And conversely, I lost a close friend when she was killed instantly after neing thrown from her car. She'd always worn her belt but when, as a passenger, was trying to get something in the car and had taken it off for a few minutes and they hit black ice.

happycats
March 17th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I wear my seatbelt ALWAYS! Not only can it save your life, But check with your insurance company, alot of them will NOT cover any injury you have sustained if you were not wearing it!!! (injured, can't work, no money, now insurance company won't pay because you were not wearing seat belt. You could lose everything!!!! including your life) It's just not worth it! So buckle up :thumbs up

Safyre
March 17th, 2005, 09:23 AM
CyberKitten _ yes, there is still some states that do not require people to buckle up. Probly the same people that don't have a helmet law for motorcycles/ (personal annoyance!!)

As for the original posted: I wear my seatbelt at ALL times. my friend make fun of me because even if we are sitting talking in my car, I don't bother to take my seatbelt off. It's not that I am anal about it, its just that I've never NOT worn it.

And now my car is a 2002 focus, and if you don't wear your seatbelt, it'll eventually (afdter a certain speed) start beeping like crazy at you... it'll stop... then beep again. I found this out while dirving from one store in a strip mall, to another. lol

lilith_rizel
March 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I never used to wear my seatbelt, until James and I started dating....

Copper'sMom
March 17th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I always wear mine! Especially since I got a WARNING!!! I used to drive tow truck for a living. When I was in town, I would take my seatbelt off because sometimes depending where I had to go, the seatbelt restricted me from manuvering in small spaces. My truk was a flatbed, not the wheel lift(smaller truck)!!! So I was just turning out onto the highway and hadn't buckled up yet, when the police were doing their checks and I was busted! The officer ran my licence etc. and came back with an empty envelope!! He told me I should know better, especially from the accidents I have seen!