Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where does your dog go in your vehicle?

Shamrock
March 16th, 2005, 09:04 PM
When you take your dog in the car, where do they sit?
And how do you keep them secure?
Do you use a dog -type seatbelt?
Or do you let them just sit or lie on the seat?
:ca:

mafiaprincess
March 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM
dog seatbelt attatched to her harness in the middle seatbelt of the back seat.

twodogsandacat
March 16th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I bought an SUV and a dog barrier just for the dog. They are safer back there and so am I. I would never go back to a car (maybe a wagon).

goldenblaze
March 16th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Did you see the news about his tonight...I did. :eek:

I have not done anything about my dogs in the car but will now do it forsure. So glad nothing has happen yet, I am going shopping for something to keep them safe while in the car. Good idea for news story I thought. :thumbs up

Prin
March 16th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I was afraid someone would ask that...
My doggies are just free in the car. I have a small sedan (1997 acura 1.6) and there is no crate big enough to fit my big Boo (29 inches tall to the shoulder) that would also fit in my car.

I tried a harness seatbelt but he gets agitated when he is tied in a car and nearly strangled himself and I had to pull over to let him breathe. My little girl sometimes sits in the front seat. I know that is terrible but I figure 1) since they are free, they will die anyway in a bad accident and 2) I'm in a tiny sedan, I don't have much protection even with a seatbelt on. It's just the reality of the road these days. It's been on CTV news off and on the past two weeks. Little cars are not safe. They used to pass the crash tests with flying colors but the side impact tests back then were a flat wall moving at 17mph. Now, the tests are done with an SUV/truck body at 35mph. My old car is not near safe to the new standards... But hey, I am a student and it's the safest car I can afford.

When we travel long distances, we have to drug the big guy so he just lays in the back seat. The little one is so calm in the car. Wherever she is, she just sits there.

I do recommend leather seats though. They are SO much easier to wash than apholstery. And they're more durable.

Shamrock
March 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Goldenblaze, I didnt see the news - what was the story?

I have a six-pound poodle, and I use a small crate in the back seat that is permently secured with the vehicle's seatbelt.

That said....I admit I "sometimes" let Percy lie on the front seat - if I am just going few blocks. He is calm, and doesnt move around. I know I shouldnt do this.. :sad:

I got stopped in a seat belt check today, and the officer looked at the dog that was now on my lap and hanging out the drivers window.
Thought he was going to say something. (maybe its illegal to have a loose dog in the car....dont know?)

This is what got me thinking of this...
:ca:

dmc123
March 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I didn't see the story, either. Mine don't ride often, they would love to, but when they do they ride in the back seat, no car seat or anything. Bad mama?

goldenblaze
March 16th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Tonight with Leslie Roberts there was a big story "crash test puppies" it showed how dogs were hurt when not in a car seat or other form of protection if the car was hit by another.

Makes you think..... Jordie is on my arm rest front seat...
Blaze setting on back looking through front... two door car.
From now on both will not be in the front seat at all! They will be attacked to the backseat somehow.

Very good story...opened alot of eyes I'm sure. :eek:

GunnerX
March 17th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I'm with mafiaprincess on this one. We bought a dog seatbelt harness for Ariel. She loves to go on car rides and immediately knows it once I put this one on her. She jumps on the back seat and gets ready for me to buckle her in. Once I do that she lies down and gets ready for the ride. I guess I'm lucky that she doesn't struggle and is fine with it even on long rides.

raingirl
March 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Odin either sits in the front or back with his doggy seat belt on. it's a special clip that goes into the seat belt clip, then clips to his harness.

sammiec
March 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Briggs never sits in the front seat. I never thought that was safe - even if it's just blocking my view...we have a seat belt for her, but she normally just uses it in the jeep... maybe we'll have to review that...

maddoxies
March 17th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Champ sits between the two front seats of the van, with his flexi leash locked to the shortest length and I pass my seatbelt thru the handle of the flexi. Valentin is in his crate on the middle seat with the seatbelt on his crate. My ex rolled my other van and walked away, but we always said Thank God the golden was not with him. I am still working on how to secure the crate (and the golden) in case of a rollover. We do the Montreal-Toronto run frequently enough, that the odds are bound to catch up to us someday and we will be involved in some sort of an accident.

Personally, I do not like the barriers for the dogs in SUVs and station wagons. If you get rear-ended, the dog has zero chance. Also they are still bouncing around loose back there.

Dahlia
March 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I was going to ask that, too. Sophie rides in her crate in the cargo space (the very back) of my Blazer. I have 3 kids so there's no room in the backseat. If we drive the van the crate will be belted in to the back seat. Did the program show anything about dogs being in accidents while riding in crates? It seems to me like they would get slammed against the inside of the crate and still get hurt. When she's a little bigger we might try a doggie seatbelt in the van. I guess we could also use it in the Blazer when we don't have all the kids.

BMDLuver
March 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM
We have a van with the last seat taken out. There is a seat bolt for a third child seat. I have a training leash that I hook through the bolt and double back both ends clipped to the collar. The dog can move a bit but can't be thrown through the vehicle in the event of having to break or an accident. I have recently been looking at a more safe solution on these sites:

http://www.fancypaws.com/rufroadcanve.html

http://www.parkvets.com/petsandvets-seatbelts.html

Schwinn
March 17th, 2005, 10:18 AM
We had a problem with Daisy getting caught up in her seat belt, too. I used to put her in it when in the truck, but she could still get her face up against the window, so it was pretty much useless.

Copper'sMom
March 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I have pondered about what I sould do here. Copper gets to sit where ever he feels like! I have the back seat folded down so if he wants to lay down and stretch out, he can. Most of the time he prefers to sit in the front. We drive about 40 minutes to work everyday and once we are outside of town, he lays down in the front seat and sleeps all curled up in a ball under his blanket.

Here's a pic of him asleep in the jeep on the way home from work!

Karin
March 17th, 2005, 01:43 PM
The seats have always been laid down in the back of my Blazer. There is a thick eggshell crate foam padding covered by a flannel sheet. Ciara has a set of water/food bowls and plenty of toys. When she was a puppy, she went through the windshield and landed on the hood after some idiot cut in front of me, the back was full of belongings because at the time we were fleeing from Hurricane Floyd. No matter what, she rides in the back now.

Prin
March 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
We have a van with the last seat taken out. There is a seat bolt for a third child seat. I have a training leash that I hook through the bolt and double back both ends clipped to the collar. The dog can move a bit but can't be thrown through the vehicle in the event of having to break or an accident. I have recently been looking at a more safe solution on these sites:

http://www.fancypaws.com/rufroadcanve.html

http://www.parkvets.com/petsandvets-seatbelts.html
Those ruffrider harnesses look really good but SOO expensive... (The one with the lambskin looks so much more comfortable but $75 US? Maybe I'll make one...)

melanie
March 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM
in our travelling dog kennel charlie likes to be free on the back seat, she lies down and such. we have a small car so there is no gap for her to fly through either in the top or through the middle. she does have a harness but the miserable old thing bothers her alot on long drives.

i have been told the safest place to have a dog in a car (must be well trained to do it though) is on the floor at in the front on the passangers side, charlie used to lie there until she reached 9months and could no longer confortable fit.

here it is the law that a dog must be restrained in a car or on the back of a ute at all times, but it jsut doesnt work on long drives. but tying adog to a ute and such is necessary, but it must be done prooperly on a short chain or rope, enough for comfort to sit and lie but not for moving around much.

AND the reason why---the other week i was told a horrific story about a pig hunter i know (my ex brother in law). he ties his dogs on the back of his ute, well he made the chain lengths too long, stupid idiot. so he was going through the forest on the dirt roads. he was going too fast and went around a corner. the chain was so long on one of his pig dogs flew over the side of the ute when he went around the corner too fast and the dog hit a tree mid air and broke its neck and died. that man is a fat ugly mongrel , i hate him anyways, always have, but that just really makes me seeth :mad: . so accidents of such a nature really do happen.

Grissom's Mom
March 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Grissom has an orange carrier that is a back pack, duffel carrier and has loops on the back to put a seatbelt through. His carrier is buckled into the front. He's still getting used to the carrier though as he's out and about around the house but he's getting better.

SnowDancer
March 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I am afraid I am guilty of letting my 19 lb. Eskimo ride in the front seat - although he does sometimes sit on the floor. I do have a safety vest harness that has a seat belt clip that I used a couple of times - it worked fine - except of course the boss didn't like it. BUT yesterday, after "taste testing" a huge bag of food - the one flavour of Fromm's he has not yet tried - it was on the lower shelf and with his jaw strength it took only a second - well we now have the giant bag of food that would feed two Great Danes - going to freeze a lot I guess. But on the ride home, I felt a breeze and sure enough, he had taught himself to open and close the windows - guess he finally realized function is similar to the DVD player and the TV - on/off - open/close - isn't this fun? Guess I got used to not restraining my pets in the car because my mini Dachshunds would seriously balk at the idea of a crate and with their delicate backs (had the disc surgery) a seat belt was tough - but they loved the car. The Eskimo unfortunately has crate fear. Re space in car though for a crate, the Nylabone collapsible are kind of nifty - except of course they are not made from Nylabone material - idiot that I am I got all excited when I heard about them, thinking that puppy dog would not auto-mutilate if he could chew on a Nylabone grate.

goldenblaze
March 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I tried the seatbelt hook thing... it goes on the dogs collar. It did not work, he pulled the seatbelt and came right as close to me as normal, between my two seats.. I don't let them in the front due to airbags but I want something now after seeing the news... I will get something not sure which yet but I am looking around.

Jackie467
March 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM
when I make the three minute drive to work (I work out of a house about a couple blocks away from mine) I put candi in the front seat. I know I shouldn't but cramming the crate into my two door car for a three minute drive seems like such a hassle and waste, because every road to work is residential and I can't go over 25mph anyway. When I go for longer rides or get on the highway for any lenght of time i put her in her crate and belt it into the backseat of the car. I bought a special crate that if the front door on it is smashed close there is another door on the top so the rescuers can still get her out easily.

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 06:17 PM
goldenblaze-- they also have seatbelts that are harnesses that you either pass the seatbelt through or that have a belt that clips into the seatbelt clip. My diggy did poorly with the first type- as I said above, he tangled himself up so badly he couldn't breathe. I think the design of these things has to be thought out better, regarding the position a dog sits in and how they move.

mafiaprincess
March 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
We had one that clipped onto our pups harness and into the seatbelt clip, but the adult size at its shortest was so long she could climb off the seat onto the floor, and the puppy/ cat size was so short that she could barely lie down comfortably, and not sit up.

We returned it for one that has a clip to the dog's harness and a loop that goes through the lap belt and you attach the seatbelt together. Even the large dog size is short enough that we are having no problems now.

Superpet hada much larger selection of doggie car restraint systems than petsmart when we went to look. And the doggie restraint that clips into your car's seatbelt clip was the cheapest at canadian tire. Other petstores had them for 7-10 bucks more for the identical product.