Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2005 Iditarod conclusion

Prin
March 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM
NOME, Alaska (AP) - Norway's Robert Sorlie won the Iditarod on Wednesday, overcoming insomnia and a dwindling dog team for his second victory in only three tries.

Norwegian musher and Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race champion Robert Sorlie drives his dog team up a hill Sunday. (AP Photo/Al Grillo)
Sorlie, a 47-year-old firefighter, crossed under the arch that serves as a finish line in Nome at 8:39 a.m., winning the 1,700-kilometre race across Alaska in nine days 18 hours 39 minutes 31 seconds. Sorlie finished the race with eight dogs - half the number he started the race with, but the same number that took him to victory two years ago.

Sorlie is a three-time champion of Norway's premier long-distance sled dog race, the 965-kilometre Finnmarkslopet.

This year's run was only the third time Sorlie had made the trip from Anchorage to Nome, a town of 3,500 at the edge of the frozen Bering Sea. In his first showing, in 2002, he finished ninth, setting a rookie record. He won the race in 2003.

This time, Sorlie grabbed the lead early. The owner of a small kennel, he fended off a strong field that included seasoned veterans and five other Iditarod champions.

Sorlie is the second Iditarod winner born outside the United States and the second person who didn't make their home in Alaska to win. Doug Swingley of Lincoln, Mont., won four times and Martin Buser, a Swiss native who has lived in Alaska more than two decades, became a U.S. citizen after winning his fourth Iditarod in 2002.

For winning the 33rd Iditarod, Sorlie will receive $72,066.67 US and a pickup truck. Seventy-nine mushers started this year's race, which has a total purse of $750,000. As of Wednesday morning, 66 mushers were still in the running. Hans Gatt of Atlin, B.C., was the top Canadian in 18th spot.

From Msn.ca, March 16, 2005

I would just like to know what happened to the other 8 dogs.. I know they supposedly have vet care all along the way but still, why didn't they make it?

H.P.
March 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I know that this is a really old post, but since it is Iditarod time again, I thought I would respond. The other 8 dogs just did not finish the race.

Dogs get dropped for many reasons, if they are showing signs of distress, exhaustion, injury or sickness, or if a female goes into heat the dog will be "dropped" that is, left at the next check point with the vet who is stationed there, then flown back to the non-racing human team members.

A dog that is not performing well will be "bagged" until the next check point, meaning that they get to ride on the sled.