Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

little scared!

sib owner
March 16th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I know this is going to sound weird but my two girls are going in tomorrow to be spayed and I'm so nervous,I'm making myself sick with worry.I have no idea how I'm going to get through the day without calling every 5 minutes and making sure they're alright. I have great trust in my vet she's totally awesome with them, but still they are always risks with any surgery. I just don't know how to calm myself, any suggestions? :ca:

SarahLynn123
March 16th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I know how feel. Belle was just spayed less then 2 weeks ago. She is a senior now so there was alot of concern. Instead of calling them every 5 minutes, They had my phone number at work and home and if anything happened or there were any concerns they said they would call. They called and let me know that she made it ok and was awake and doing good. Have them do that for you, its a huge relief. My greatest concern was when I brought her home. She was twitching, having muscle spasms, slept constantly, didn't pee for over 24 hours. They told me it was all normal. The only problem we had was when she stopped eating for 5 days. (Shes eating well now) Remind yourself that they are professionals and will give your dogs the best care possible. You will be fine, in a couple weeks everything will be back to normal!

kayla
March 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I got my puppy spayed a couple weeks ago and know exactly how you feel, I was so worried! I just kept myself extremely busy the day of the surgery and it kept my mind off things. Needless to say the surgery went fine and she was very happy to be home the next day! Read a good book or rent a bunch of movies or watch brainless television to get your mind of off it, no point in worrying, your girls will be fine!

Copper'sMom
March 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Are they having blood work done before the surgery? Vets can tell whether or not they MAY have complications with anesthetic. Also the surgery is so routine, things should turn out fine!

When I had my boy neutered, they were supposed to keep him overnight at the vet. My baby started to howl as soon as he woke up and continued to do so non-stop!! So when I went to see him, the vet asked me to take him home :p . What a sucky baby!!! It was better this way anyway, because at home he could get rest where as being at the vet, he was stressing himself out!

Don't worry!!

sammiec
March 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I'm SURE that everything will be just fine! Don't worry yourself!

I cried for a while when I dropped our little girl off for her spay. I was so sad, but I trust me vet and I know that he would take great care of her. They call us when the surgery is complete to tell us that everything is fine!

I hope you're able to relax a little!! :)

sib owner
March 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM
The girls had basically a wellness test done and everything is fine but with everything i"ve gone through with them it's still alittle frightening.

SnowDancer
March 16th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I am sure everything will be fine - it is just such a worry. My pup was neutered in November and I was more worried I think about the results of the pre-surgery blood tests due to a previous experience with another dog - and those tests were for surgery to remove tartar from his teeth. As you indicated the wellness tests were done so surgery would not have been scheduled if there was a possible risk. I hope all goes well - I know with girls there is more of a recovery time involved that with the boys, so lots of TLC from Mommy.

Karin
March 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I know this is going to sound weird but my two girls are going in tomorrow to be spayed and I'm so nervous,I'm making myself sick with worry.I have no idea how I'm going to get through the day without calling every 5 minutes and making sure they're alright. I have great trust in my vet she's totally awesome with them, but still they are always risks with any surgery. I just don't know how to calm myself, any suggestions? :ca:

Tequila. Mix a stiff Margarita with extra salt & lime and relax, your kids will do just fine.

mafiaprincess
March 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I needed Karin's advice last week.

I was so stressed when I dropped our little girl off. I had no idea how much I loved her until I couldn't see her all day. I literally counted down the hours..

maddoxies
March 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Rescue Remedy was originally made for humans.

Take a few deep breaths. Don't forget your stress will go right down the leashes to your girls. The more calm you are the better it is for them.

Ask the vet's office to call you or when surgery may be over so you can call them.

Thinking of you :grouphug:

Karin
March 16th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Even people who work in the field, vet's included, are known to crumble, snibble and babble gibberish when the patient is their own. I swear I have seen/done this myself. I admit it freely. I have slepted in Ciara's cage all night, cried all the time.
I have seen some vet's have a rival clinic across town do their own pet's Sx because they just can't stand the idea of doing it themselves...oh the pressure!

goldenblaze
March 16th, 2005, 08:50 PM
As everyone else I to remember the day blaze went for his neuter, not a nice day for me and very long and for nothing.
We all worry about our pets that is part of loving them as we do. :love: I'm sure all will be fine and you will be answering a post someday soon. Try to relax, you are doing the best thing in the long run and this part is over soon.

Prin
March 16th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Having worked at a vet, I can tell you, (maybe the vets will disagree) call the vet. They know how worried you are. Try to call after the surgery as you don't want to interrupt, though. If the vet does the surgeries in the morning, call around 11 or 12 and see. Most vets (or usually techs) would be happy give you a briefing of what is going on with your animal. It's always better to care too much than not enough.

dmc123
March 16th, 2005, 09:45 PM
sib, you are a good parent, we all worry. But don't be toooooo worried. I can't stand for any of mine to have anything done to them, and I worrry like you are now. Just remember it is for the best.

Hang in there,
Diane

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I am sure everything will be fine. It is a not a complicated procedure - but I am a basket case when YY exhibits the least little sneeze so I know exactly how you feel! Take a deep breath and maybe as goldengirl suggest, indulge yourself with their Rescue Remedy. :) It does have a brandy base, lol

Sadie's Mom
March 17th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Totally know how you're feeling Sib. It's tough because it's the first time they'll probably stay overnight away from you. It's perfectly normal to worry about it, but they'll be fine. I had a little cry when I dropped Sadie off, and then I realized I was puppy-free for the first time in months. It was nice to not have to worry about her for a little while. Enjoy that part of it at least. Go shopping! Retail therapy cures all. :thumbs up

luvmybeagles
March 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Just had my girl spayed in February, and even though this was the 4th pet I had spayed, and the others were ALL fine, I was worried.

My vet allows you to call in the afternoon to see how things are, and they told me they would call ME if anything went wrong. Imagine my horror when the phone rings and it's the vet's office! Turns out her baby teeth weren't falling out as they should and they simply wanted my permission to pull them. ;) But boy did that SCARE me!

She was home that evening, a little groggy, and a little shaky, but she was glad to be home. The biggest problem I had was keeping her quiet for the two weeks after her surgery so she could heal. After one week I gave up and let her romp and play in the house. There was no way I could stop her short of sedating her. ;)

Dahlia
March 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I know how you feel, too. Sophie's only 10 wks old but I have already found myself worrying about what if something happens when I take her to get spayed. And that's not for another 3 months!

sib owner
March 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone just wanted to let you know I brought the girls home this evening they're resting comfortably right now so i figured I'd hop on and tell everyone the girls are fine the vet sent some pain meds home just incase.They were very vocal at the vets,as anyone who's ever owned a Sib will tell you they hated being seperated. But there home now so I get to rest a little with them.Thanks so much for the advice everyone.

dmc123
March 17th, 2005, 07:55 PM
wonderful news, bet they are as glad to be home as you are glad they are home :)

Karin
March 17th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Smooches from Ciara and I.

Copper'sMom
March 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM
See?? We all told you everything would go well!!!!!! They'll be back to normal in no time! :)