Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Non-clumping kitty litter?

kayla
March 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I heard that I'm not supposed to use clumpable kitty litter for litter training kittens, because they may eat it. I also heard if I get something that says "scoopable" kitty litter it is different and should be fine. Well, I went out and bought some of this "scoopable" litter and it looks exactly like the clumpable stuff I already have. What kind of litter am I supposed to get so they won't eat it? What should I be looking for on the label?

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
"Scoopable" IS clumping. Just get plain clay litter.

The reason is that tiny kittens are clumsy in the litterbox, get pee on their feet which the clumping litter sticks to. They will lick it off where it may accumulate in their stomachs and kill them, since it's designed to suck all the moisture out of anything.

kayla
March 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I got this info off a web site, guess I shouldn't be taking any more advice from them:

"It is advisable to avoid using clumping cat litter with kittens until they are four months of age. The problem is that sometimes, kittens consume too much of the litter, and this can cause serious health problems.

Litter labeled "scoopable" is okay, but avoid the clumping. Also watch out for the "pearl" litter, it seems to get stuck in kitten mouths. "

I'll try to find some clay litter for them, thanks LR!

Does anyone know a good web site that I can learn about raising kittens from? Seems each one says something different, I don't know which to trust!

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2005, 03:35 PM
What is it that you want to know? I've raised more than a few litters myself. :rolleyes:

kayla
March 16th, 2005, 08:50 PM
well one thing i've been wondering about is how often to handle them, and for how long. and is there anything is should be doing in particular at this point to make sure they are socialized (they are just over two weeks old now)? someone said don't play with them with my hands or they will learn to bite and scratch when you pet them later on in life. is there anything else i should be doing? i just don't want to be forgetting to do something and end up having unsocialized kitties!

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM
You can play with them - and get them used to humans and other sounds they will have to adjust to. The important thing is to make sure you don't let the kittens trhink that your hands are play things and that they can bite them. Some people think it's cute for their kittens to play and bite (gently with their baby teeth) their fingers and engage that play. This teaches the kittens the wrong lesson - that hands and fingers are fair game to be bitten.

Divert their attention to other toys - like those mice you can buy at the dollar store (My Yin Yin has one near her in a photo - let me see if I can find it), feather toys or simple toys you can make yourself. I bought an expensive electronic toy mouse for my kitten (she is 6 mos now) but she prefers the dollar store one, go figure, lol They do need playtime - and stimulation - but not with your fingers.

Added: Here is the picture - if you look closely, you can see the pesky little rodent, lol

happycats
March 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I find that of you handle them alot, they become much more cuddley and social when they are grown up. (when they struggle to get away, you put them down).
I made the mistake with one of my cats when she was a kitten, she was so shy and never wanted to be held, so I never did, so she was very anti-social when she grew up! The vet said I should have done the opposite, and hold her all the time so she would become used to it, and eventually enjoy it.

kayla
March 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I made the mistake with one of my cats when she was a kitten, she was so shy and never wanted to be held, so I never did, so she was very anti-social when she grew up!

glad you mentioned that. i always pick up the girl because she is more social. when i pick up the boy he meows and then momma cat gets stressed and tries to take him away from me so i put him back right away. the girl is much more explorative so it's her i usually take out, guess i should be taking the boy out lots too! i took both kittens out together today for the first time which seemed to calm the boy down a bit, and momma didn't seem to mind either. maybe this is a good way to start getting him used to being handled more? how do i make it so momma doesn't get so stressed when her baby is crying?

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
As the kits get older, mama will be only too happy to have you give her some time. Some Queens see their human as an extra Queen - there to help them with their babies tho all cats have different personalities. If you take the entire family out of their area - mama and the babies - she may not mind quite so much.

When I was little,Puff, our cat gave birth to one little black cat and one tiny tabby (Being toddlers, my sister and I named him Blackie and the girl Stripey of course, lol) When the kittens were stronger and more agile, Puff would bring them to us to kittensit. (Even though we were very little, my grandmother and mother made sure we were supercautious with the babies and Puff seemed to know this).

And no, we were not in the breeding game. Puff was a pregnant kitty who took up residence in a barn on our property (we had a few hundred acres of land but not a farm as such) and we took her in - and ended up with three cats and a very large but sweet Siberian Husky who did not mind the feline interlopers. He used to lick the babies and - which is probably why mama dragged them around so much that Blackie ended up with no tail! (She used to drag him by the tail and not the scruff - never saw that before or since.)

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2005, 01:24 AM
As the kits get older, mama will be only too happy to have you give her some time.

Right, but for now these kittens are only two weeks old, so don't take both of them from momma. This will stress her and them. Also, the mother cat is not yours and hasn't learned to completely trust you with her babies.

After they are weaned, you can also have visitors handle them too, to get them to be friendly with everyone.

kayla
March 17th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Right, but for now these kittens are only two weeks old, so don't take both of them from momma.

Alright good to know! Should I still be taking one out at a time or should I just be petting them while they are next to the mother?

Also, when does weaning happen? I read anywhere from 3-5 weeks. They will be 3 weeks this Monday, but it seems a little early to start putting out food for them. How can I tell? They have both started growing in little teeth already, but since there are only two kittens would the momma maybe be nursing them longer than if she had a larger litter?

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Should I still be taking one out at a time or should I just be petting them while they are next to the mother?

Also, when does weaning happen? I read anywhere from 3-5 weeks. They will be 3 weeks this Monday, but it seems a little early to start putting out food for them. How can I tell? They have both started growing in little teeth already, but since there are only two kittens would the momma maybe be nursing them longer than if she had a larger litter?

You can sit next to the nest, and pet and talk soothingly to them. You can pick them up one at a time and hold them. If they fuss, put them back. Kittens have a very strong survival instinct that makes them panic if they are away from mom.

You can start giving them kitten food mixed with warm water at about 4 weeks. If the don't want to eat, try putting a little on your finger and encourage them to lick it off. Don't rush them though.
Keep lots of towels handy. This is a very messy business as the kittens will walk in the food and get it all over them!:p

Once they start eating, mom will no longer clean up after them. Make sure the litter box is very close, and that the sides are low enough so they can get into it. This will be the time when you need to start using a clothespin on your nose. :D