Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odin cut his foot?

raingirl
March 16th, 2005, 01:18 PM
We just got back from a walk, and when I took his booties off, I noticed his right front paw was a little bloody.

I washed his feet off and he's moping around because he hates that. I tried to find a cut, but couldn't see any. I thought maybe one of his nails got pulled.

Is this something worth a vet visit? if it's not bleeding, and he seems to be ok, should I just watch him and keep his foot clean?

mesaana
March 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Poor Odin! You didn't mention if he was limping. And did you look at his nails and between his pads? If there's nothing there, I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on it.

Lyne

raingirl
March 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Nope. He's not limping, and I couldn't find the source of the blood at all.

I was thinking that maybe it was just a bit of dry skin that split open on his pad. We have been trying to get him to use his muttluks, but it's only 40-50% of the time we get them all on. His feet are really dry. I got a lotion for them that the vet recommended (he just recommended Glysomed because it has glycerin and camomile), but it doesn't stay on well, as he won't let us put little socks on his feet to protect them, and let the lotion sink in.

SnowDancer
March 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I expect you have tried applying delicate pressure to his foot pad to see if you can find anything that might have pressed into the skin. My dog once picked up a tiny piece of red glass - had to really look hard to find it - and then out came the tweezers. Also, if perhaps one of his toenails is a big long it might have pressed into his foot - this may have happened to you as well - has to me. Probably easier to happen when wearing the boots. My Eskimos perfectly fitting new Muttluks are hanging in the closet - groomer tried to put them on it. Nope. Far too sensitive - this is a dog who lays on his back every night for a full body rub and "points" to where I might have missed a spot - feet included. This his is first Toronto winter, so am hoping he will finally make the connection that de-icer/salt hurt. Of course I am also hoping he won't eat twice his body weight in snow. But Eskimos do have very strong nails that do not wear down on pavement so I get them clipped weekly when he goes to socialization. I was warned to watch for the nails pressing into his foot when wearing the boots. Hope Odin feels better - maybe a few cookies would help.