Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sad story for any dog!!

lezzpezz
March 16th, 2005, 11:16 AM
from today's local rag:

A Hamilton man was placed on probation for 12 months yesterday for beating his pit bull after it got into his garbage.
Norfolk Crown attorney John Ayre said Eugene Clouthier, 32, formerly of Kent Street South in Simcoe, became angry Jan. 19 when he discovered the dog rummaging through his kitchen refuse.

He struck the dog several times in the hindquarters and the animal bolted from his apartment, Ayre said in the Ontario Court of Justice in Simcoe.

A short time later, a friend called to inform him of the whereabouts of the dog and Clouthier retrieved it. He then proceeded to punch the dog four times, kicked it in the side, then grabbed it by the fur and threw it.

Upon returning to the apartment, Clouthier struck the dog several times with a pan until the handle broke, Ayre said.

With the dog cowering in a corner, he continued to strike the animal.

The dog suffered severe bruising.

"I don't understand why people beat a child, woman or animal," said Justice Brian Stead, who termed the incident "disgusting."

Clouthier pleaded guilty to an animal cruelty charge.

As terms of his probation, he was ordered to surrender any animals in his possession to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and was prohibited from owning or caring for any animal.

Clouthier also was ordered to make a $750 donation to the SPCA.

Copper'sMom
March 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I live 5 min. from there!! There is a Pit for adoption named Cody. I wonder if it is his dog?? I'll be checking into this guy to be sure he has no more animals!!

goldenblaze
March 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
OMG how sad...this dog should of bit him... he deserved it.
Wish we could get the man in a apartment, he should feels how the poor dog felt... sick people. :evil:

Prin
March 16th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I think he deserves more than probation. How do they know what he did to the dog? Was somebody watching?

Schwinn
March 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM
What's really sad is if this dog doesn't get adopted before the ban kicks in. Also, how strange that this "ticking time-bomb" didn't go off.

twodogsandacat
March 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
What's really sad is if this dog doesn't get adopted before the ban kicks in. Also, how strange that this "ticking time-bomb" didn't go off.

The truth is that humans are the ticking time bombs.

$750 - that's nothing. Not when you consider that if you walk a pit bull without a muzzle you could be fined $10,000 (under Bill 132 if it gets implmented).

Copper'sMom
March 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong.......but......the $10,000 fine is only if your dog attacks someone isn't it??? Say if you walk your dog with no muzzle on and he were to attack someone who walked by him and seriously injured that person--wouldn't you get the max. fine plus other consequences?? But if you were walking your dog with no incidents happening and he wasn't wearing a muzzle you would get like a $65.00 fine or so??

twodogsandacat
March 16th, 2005, 09:29 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong.......but......the $10,000 fine is only if your dog attacks someone isn't it??? Say if you walk your dog with no muzzle on and he were to attack someone who walked by him and seriously injured that person--wouldn't you get the max. fine plus other consequences?? But if you were walking your dog with no incidents happening and he wasn't wearing a muzzle you would get like a $65.00 fine or so??

Actually it is for anyone violating ANY part of the legislation. Although the max would likely be reserved for exactly the offense you indicate it is not how the law reads. My point was that $750 is nothing.

Offences
18. (1) An individual who contravenes any provision of this Act or the regulations or who contravenes an order made under this Act or the regulations is guilty of an offence and liable, on conviction, to a fine of not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or both.