Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cheap Cat carry case.

Britishvixen21
March 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know a good place where I can get a cheap carry case for a Cat? I have to take Mya to the vet and the cardboard one i had she shredded to peices and its about time she had a proper one. The cheapest one I found was at zellers for $25 is that about the average? being a brit and first time cat owner I dont know the going rate. and im cheap too LOL. Im in the Toronto area does anyone know of a cheap place where I can get one?
Thank you

PS: need it by saturday :clown:

lezzpezz
March 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM
If you're in a pinch, as I have been, I take 2 like-sized laundry baskets and 2 bungy cords. I invert one basket over the other, place a towel in for the cat(s) and bungy side to side and then end to end. It is free, spacious and well ventilated. It looks a bit odd, but it works! :D

Britishvixen21
March 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Thats a good idea thank you, Il try that if i dont get one before saturday, hb wanted to put her in his gym bag with some hole *rolls eyes to the ceiling* Ive seen some real fancy ones wahooo LOL. But the one in Zellers doesnt seem to bad for $25.

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I suggest you get a good one. Cheap ones break, especially if they have a plastic grid on the door, and you'll just have to get another one. I had to. :rolleyes:

A good one will last you for many years!

sammiec
March 16th, 2005, 09:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/samanthajc/carrier.jpg

This is what out carrier looks like.

This one has been passed down a couple times - been through 4 cats, and still good a new. If you put out the money for a decent carrier, it will last and be worth it! :) I think this one was $35

SnowDancer
March 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Agree with Lucky, suggest you buy a good or at least medium quality crate and you will have it for years to come. Our cat weighs 22 lbs. - getting him to the vet is not fun. We have a good crate - actually used to be able to get 2 of our more mild mannered Dachshunds in it - so it is heavy duty without being overly large. I would not suggest the gym bag. I also live in Toronto and many vets are now requiring that cats be crated - or "boxed" and dogs leashed and if necessary, muzzled, due to attacks. There is PetSmart of course and I do go there for Nature's Miracle, cat litter etc, but frankly I have found prices to be about the same or less at smaller stores which I prefer anyway. I buy everything, except crates because she doesn't carry them, at the Groomer/Pet Store that operates a separate operation right behind my vet of 30 years - same entrance so big "hellos", round and an extra cookie dishes to please my Eskimo, the cookie monster. By the way, this groomer also "specializes in cat grooming". My husband can't understand why she lists this on her services - well we have a short-haired cat. I saw her grooming a Persian who had not been declawed and was not wearing Soft Paws - good grief. I suggest he do same.

happycats
March 16th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Hey Sammie, that one looks alot like mine!!
I paid $45.00 (at the vets office) for it when I got my first cat 16 years ago!!
And everyone in the family has borrowed it over the years as well. and it's still as good as new !!
I have definately got my money's worth out of it !

sammiec
March 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM
LOL, Snowdancer! I had to read the post twice and then the question... I forgot where I was when you started talking about the groomer and soft paws!! LOL!! :D

SnowDancer
March 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Sammiec - The vision of that cat being groomed will be imprinted on my mind forever. I take my Eskimo to the groomer's for socialization once a week and had a clear view - also saw them grooming a St. Bernard - the Bernard was definitely the far easier task of the two. It is a lot easier in some ways to control a dog. My cat's kennel is also similar to yours - have had it for about 10 years - only is dark green - even stood up when the suitcase pull I was using to drag the kennel down the steet came loose and I had to chase the kennel and it tipped - that was a sight. But not a scratch on the kennel or the cat. See, this cat will kill me yet - picture me running down Manor Road in Toronto - slightly downhill.

mafiaprincess
March 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Superpet has travel crates on sale this month. Cat sized ones were about 19 bucks I think.

Britishvixen21
March 16th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Thats good advice, I shouldnt be so cheap, I looked on canadian tire and they have one for $30 and its a nice big one, Not too big though as we have to navigate the TTC. Im gonna go get it at lunch, now the question is what do I put in it, the last time we went we got a ride and this time we dont, so do I have to put litter in it or toys, I have a blankie for her that weve had forever and that went with her last time. Im just worried about her spazzing out on the TTC!

Britishvixen21
March 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Hey, just an update, got one at canadian tire for $30 its a fair size and looks cute. I might paint it pink though ;)
LOL.

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I was just going to recommend one and then saw you got one. Good show!! I think it's always best to buy a good one because you will find you end up using it more than you actually planned. You can get Maya used to it by letting het go in and out of it, exploring it and then by driving around with her inside it for short drives if you have to get her used to being in the car with it. My kitty loves hers and will even sleep in it during the day sometime. I will not see her (and she tends to be everwhere I am) and then I peek down and there she is. I put it underneath the computer desk last week (sort of out of the way before putting it away and I was typing away and there was no Yin Yin) I looked everywhere- getting a little frantic, knowing she is not an outdoor cat - she even stands back when the door is open (Siamese hate the cold -they have lower body temps and get cold easily). Lo and behold, she was curled up inside the carrier, having a snooze - she figured out a better way to be by me (without being on top of the monitor, lol).

I hope Maya enjoys it as much as Yin Yin does!