Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling with puppy - any suggestions?

Dahlia
March 16th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Sophie is about 10 wks old now and we will be going to visit my in-laws 5 hrs away this weekend. Sophie is going with us and will be riding in her crate. Sometimes she cries a little when riding in the car so I've been driving her around this week to get her more accustomed to it. She doesn't get carsick so that's a plus. We had a day trip on Monday which required her to ride for an hour and a half each way. She did fine except for crying a little. Last night I took her with me when I went to the grocery store and to stop at White Castle. She had to stay in the car at the store but it was only for about 20 minutes and it was about 50 degrees here yesterday. She never whimpered a bit, so I think she's getting used to it.

We will be staying at my husband's parents' house and I was worried about her having an accident if I get distracted and am unable to watch her every second (we do use a crate, but I'm home all day so she's only in it when we leave the house and at night.) So this morning I found an old playpen in the garage that I had forgotten about. That way I can put her crate in there and cover the bottom of the playpen with newspapers in case she goes potty. Also there are 14 grandkids that run in and out and I'm worried that they might hurt her or she might get stepped on, so I will let them play with her for a while then let her have a break in the playpen.

Any other suggestions?

lilith_rizel
March 16th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Maybe Sophie cries in the car because she want to see what is going on. LOL. At her age, it is the best to have her in the crate though. When she does get older, maybe find her a doggie seat belt. We are getting one for Cano. They really aren't that expensive. This site has them advertised somewhere.

Dahlia
March 16th, 2005, 09:09 AM
lilith, I'm sure that is why she cries and I would love to have her out where she can see everything, but like you said, I don't think that's safe right now. Plus, I'm the only one who tends to watch her and I will be driving part of the time. Not a good idea to try to keep an eye on a puppy while driving.

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Can you give her toys while she is in the crate? Something to take her mind off it? It is recommended that you drive around for short periods with your pet so they adjust to the vehicle and to the idea of travel in a vehicle. Have you tried Rescue remedy or some herbal calming med? Surely in a 5 hr travel, she will have to fall asleep at some point!

Dahlia
March 17th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I think she'll be okay. We've been taking her somewhere with us every day this week to get her used to it. Yesterday I had a lot of errands to do so we were out for a couple of hours and she did fine. I give her toys in her crate and a towel to snuggle up with.