Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Depressed and Grieving Dalmation?

melisania
March 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I am wondering if this is depression in a dog form and how I can help her if it is.

A little history...

Puddles my dalmation is almost nine years old and has been with me since a wee pup. When she was three months old she had a bad accident that almost killed her. I had a bigger dog that she was playing with and some how they broke a heavy heavy glass coffee table. It sliced thougha good portion of her leg and took the skin off it to the bone. Needless to say I no longer have glass anything in my house furniture wise. It took a lot of time and money to keep her alive and for a while we were sure she was not going to make it. She surprised us and did.

The rest of her life has been relatively easy compared to that. She had a couple upsetting incidents with my ex husband but is doing much better and years have passed since he hurt her well hurt is the wrong word... he just flat out neglected her. (I had to fight to get custody of her in the divorce)

Up untila few days ago she had two little playmates that were cats. My father in law (new husband's dad) was wwatching them for us while we got ready to move this coming weekend. He accidently let them out and even though we hunted most of the afternoon and night and put signs up we foudn out the next day they had been hit that morning and killed. We were not fast enough in finding them I guess. Which leads me to the current problem.

Since her friends have come up missing Puddles has been very despondent. I have been able to see she eats and such by making sure to take the time and sit with her as she eats her meals. She is still very loving and sweet natured and will allow me to pet her and such without a problem. Normally I am home all the time ... but with us trying to get moved I was gone a good part of the day today. I came home to find she had chewed and scratched herself bloody in places and also into the old leg scars a little. I am pretty sure its an anxiety/depressed reaction to life events.

With us moving I don't have the extra money to take her to the vet for almost two weeks. I feel guilty but I just can't find the money beyond moving costs. I bathed her this evening and cleaned all the sore spots out and sprayed them with anti bacterial spray. I also had to take her harness off (she loves to wear it all the time) because she had dug around it and it was sitting on open sores.

So I am wondering is there anything I can do to help her though her time of sadness? I am already giving her extra time and loveys when I can. (right now she is mad at me for taking harness off so wont let me near her) I really don't want to have to rush out to get another pet but will do so if it would help her I just don't see how it would because it won't be one that she knows. (she has major fear issues of other animals until she gets to know them)

Prin
March 15th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Could somebody watch her in the day while you're gone? Even if money is short, I still would suggest going to the vet because of the open sores and the self-mutilation. Maybe the vet can give you credit for the two weeks? Perhaps he may prescribe some anti-anxiety drugs too, just to get over this rough patch.

By the way, I'm sorry you lost your kitties. :grouphug:

Shaykeija
March 18th, 2005, 02:16 AM
When Dallas died, Missie stopped eating. We tried everything to ease her depression. Nothing worked with the exception of getting her a new buddy. I know that this is a hard time for you but perhaps you could get your pet a new friend. :sorry: about your cats.

badger
March 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM
You could try Rescue Remedy, which is herbal and non-toxic. It's recommended for anxiety and I've used it frequently for cats. Sometimes it's possible to put it right into their mouths, otherwise just add it to their drinking water. In Canada, costs 10-12$ at the health food store. I gather Loblaws also carries it. I would keep a sharp eye on her wounds, you don't want infection to set in. Poor thing, two huge changes, moving and the loss of her buddies (incredible that they both met the same fate). Might not be the ideal time to adopt another. I'd wait.