Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

two puppies?

bremarie03
March 15th, 2005, 06:18 PM
We got our puppy just a week ago. I'm really enjoying having a dog again, and I think we're adjusting to the demands of "puppyhood" pretty well.

My question: I'd like to get another puppy, for our companionship as well as our resident puppy's, and I'm wondering if it's wise to get two puppies approximately the same age(not litter-mates). Will they get along? Would it be wiser to wait until our dog is older? I guess I'm thinking that if they grow up together, they'll be closer buddies, but maybe there is something that I'm overlooking? Thanks..

glasslass
March 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Puppies need your undivided attention, and you need their's, as you train them to be all that they should be. Two puppies together will just distract each other. Best to wait until the first puppy is more mature and settled. It'll make the second pup easier too and the first will still be young enough to bond with the pup.

aussiemedogs
March 15th, 2005, 07:55 PM
From experience I would say wait...give your new pup a chance to establish himself in your home and learn a few commands, have a trained dog before getting another one.

I have a 7 yr old, 1.3 yr, 1yr and a 7 month old and 2 cats, let me tell you it gets really tough dividing your time up so each one feels he has a special place in your heart.

In 24 hours of the day I would say that 3 of it is spent working outside the home 5 hours are spent sleeping, 5 mins are spent grumbling because I am tired (but those wet kisses make up for it). The rest of the day is for the dogs,I train outside 4 hours a week, and try to get in about an hour divided up between the dogs 2 to 3 times a week for training at home,

I do a quick surface clean up in my home during the week when I am home with the dogs, everytime I go up and down the stairs I make sure I pet them I call them to me just so they know that I care and am never to busy for the hugs and kisses they give me.

My friends think I am nuts as I will not go out with them for more than an hour and a half during the week as I would rather spend my time with my dogs, On the week-end my husband gets to share in them and thats when I get to the real dirt in the house.

Life is always face paced in my home, but unless you have the time and patience for more than one young pup at a time I suggest you wait, my lifestyle is so fast moving I sometimes wonder if I even closed my eyes to sleep.

I would never change it for the world! I love fast moving and thats why I have Australian Shepherds, we can all keep up!

nikki-d
March 15th, 2005, 09:04 PM
I agree with everyone else, I have a dog that is just over a year old and we recently got a new puppy. They seem to be having fun together and I don't think they know that they are one year apart....this way the first puppy is trained properly and the second puppy can follow what the first puppy is already doing right:) Good luck!!

Prin
March 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I totally agree. Doggies learn each others' bad behaviors and when you put two puppies together, training will be even harder because of this.

We got our second dog in part because my bog dog wouldn't come because he was abused and then a stray. He was just really independent when we got him and was sure he could make it on his own. We got the second one who is SO obedient and the first tried his best to be better than her. It may have been the opposite if we had gotten a dog that was even less willing to cooperate...

lilith_rizel
March 16th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I would wait until your first pup is over a year.... Our dog Cano is 13 months, and I still wouldn't be able to get another puppy, with all the attention he still requires.....

mona_b
March 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I agree with the others....But I would also like to add that it can be done.BUT it is hard work.I raised 2 GSD as pups.They were both 3 months old.Tron was only going to be with me for 18 months.They both needed my attention.But they also needed time to themselves.As I was training one,the other actually picked up quicker.And I have to be honest,they were great pups and were easy to train.Yes it was stressful.But I definately knew what I was getting into.I took their training and socializing seriously.9 years ago I got my sister a Siberian Husky pup after they lost their GSD.She also took in a Border Collie pup.They were both the same age.I tell you,that was a chore in itself.Major training there...LOL..But they did it.Once again.It's alot of work.A year later,they adopted 2 more Huskies.They are all well trained and well behaved.And they about 40 acres to run and play.

Just remember one thing,it's almost like having twins,you can't wait till they get older.......LOL

luvmybeagles
March 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I think it all depends on what you are willing to put into this, and how much free time you have to devote to two dogs.

If you have a lot of free time to devote to them, or if there are a lot of people in your household that can help with them, then it should be ok.

When I was a kid, we had 3 German Shepherd pups at the same time, and they all turned out fine and the house even survived the experience. But my mom was home all day, plus we kids helped out a lot.

Just remember, two pups is going to be twice as much work, twice as much chewing of things, and twice as much pooping and peeing accidents. If you're willing to go through all that, then a second pup should be ok.

maddoxies
March 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM
The op does not say what breed of puppy. For example, if it is a dachshund, they do better in pairs if you have to leave them while at work. Two large breed dogs is another issue.

It would depend on the breed (size and social needs of the dogs) and the time and space available to train and socialize two puppies properly. Personally, I would only attempt 2 pups at once if they were small breed. Trying to handle 2 six month old goldens would be too much for me.

jackieb
March 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM
We had 2 puppies we trained them well took them to training all the time it was harder as they will look to see what the other is doing. Ours were litter sisters the bond was strong between them so you had to deal with that. It was hard training them but ours were german sheperds which are a easier dog to train. The problem became with them finding out who was boss after that they were fine very good dogs.

jackieb
March 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I guess it depends really how much time you can put it with our mastiff which was our family dog. It was harder we took him training but he didnt seem to pick up things as easy. He wasnt bad but he was harder to train and then off course you get the size obstacle after a while Zac got to 210 pounds. Im not heavy so it was hard some days if he had a urge to see other dogs.