Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

KONG question

rayyes
March 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM
hi all.
just a quick question...I got Tito a kong toy. The lady at petvalu suggested the Xtreme kong, the big black one. She said the smaller one would be too small for him. Maybe im doing something wrong, but the only time he gets near the kong is if im playing with him using it, or if i just finished putting some peatnut butter inside it. He'll lick whatever he can in the first couple of minutes then leaves it alone. How much should peatnut butter should i put inside? should i freeze it before? any other suggestions?
thanks!

PS: *MY* dog is the best! :cool:

mafiaprincess
March 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM
You may need to find something your dog likes better. Ours only plays with her kong when there is food inside it. And when it is stuffed, it is completly stuffed. Whether it is peanut butter or cheese wiz, or part of last nights dinner, we cram it full. When dogs are little they have a short attention span and will play for a little while, and come back, especially if it is difficult to get food out. Freezing it prolongs how long it takes to get the food out, and if yours is giving up quickly I wouldn't suggest making it harder right now.

Writing4Fun
March 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM
What a sweetie! :love: He's just a baby, isn't he? I wouldn't give up on the Kong yet. Defintely freeze it for now - it'll be more of a challenge for him, and it'll feel great on his little teething gums. Phoebe wasn't impressed with her Kong while she was teething either. Now, though, she plays with it by herself - she stands at the top of the stairs, drops it, chases it down, brings it back up, over and over and over... :crazy:

rayyes
March 15th, 2005, 02:01 PM
yes he's very young still. he'll be 4 months soon.
I will definitely stuff it with food.
I'll have to experiment with the freezing tho...don't know what he'll prefer.
thanks guys

Safyre
March 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM
My dog wouldn't play with her kong for months. My breeder told me to buy one, she'd love it. I thought he was nuts, she didn't touch the thing.
At about 8 mnoths, she finally started showing some interest in it. She realized that she could drop it, and it wouldn't bounce normally, it was all over the place.
It might just take him time to realize 'hey, thats fun!'

Prin
March 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM
hi all.
just a quick question...I got Tito a kong toy. The lady at petvalu suggested the Xtreme kong, the big black one. She said the smaller one would be too small for him. Maybe im doing something wrong, but the only time he gets near the kong is if im playing with him using it, or if i just finished putting some peatnut butter inside it. He'll lick whatever he can in the first couple of minutes then leaves it alone. How much should peatnut butter should i put inside? should i freeze it before? any other suggestions?
thanks!

PS: *MY* dog is the best! :cool:
For a lot of dogs, the only fun toys are the ones that the humans or another dog is playing with. That is why when we got our second dog, the previous owner wanted someone without a yard because without a yard you HAVE to interact with the doggy.

I have never put anything in our kongs, but I will tell you that they HATE the biggest kong. If I throw it near them they just get out of the way because it's just too heavy. We only use the medium ones now (like the "Kool Kong" (blue) or the "training Kong" (orange)) The medium kongs may be less tolerant to hard chewing, but I just check them often for wear and tear. The doggies just seem to like it better when they can sink their teeth in and bend the kong a bit.

Trinitie
March 15th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I would get a smaller Kong for him to play with until he realizes that that's what it's for. The large black Kong may be too big for him at this stage of his life.