Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and socks

Dahlia
March 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Ok, like most dogs, Sophie loves to chew on any dirty sock she can find, including the ones we are wearing. I tell her no and take them away and give her something she can chew on. I thought about giving her one of her own to chew on but I don't want her to think it's okay to chew up socks. So I was thinking of maybe wearing a pair of socks one day and not really getting them dirty, then making a sock monkey out of it for her. That way it will still be a sock but she can tell it from all the other socks. Good idea or not?

Cinnabear
March 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
No, because you would still be confusing her on which socks are okay. They can not tell the difference between socks to play with and the socks to leave alone.

On another note , one of our cats are always playing with my dd's one sock or a mitt. Most mornings I see one of them laying around. :D

mafiaprincess
March 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Be thankful it's socks. My pup loves to open my closet door and dig in my laundry for undies. That looks really great when she does it when company is over. *shudders* Puppies and their icky habits.

Writing4Fun
March 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM
:D Oh, how cute! Count your lucky stars it's just socks! When I was a child, our Beagle puppy would chew on furniture. He'd lie on his back in front of the TV console (remember those? Holy crow! Am I that old?? :eek: ), and nibble along the bottom edge while scooting along on his back. :crazy: I'd avoid giving puppies anything that remotely resembles something you don't want them to chew. Stick to dog-specific toys. ;)

Phoebe used to chew on socks when she was a little puppy. She preferred those belonging to the kids. She appears (knock on wood) to have outgrown that habit (although she will chew on anything she can find if we leave her loose in the house while we're out :evil: ).

SnowDancer
March 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
My Eskimo LOVES socks - well actually anything cloth like and soft - bedding, you name it. Prior to our Eskimo we had Dachshunds and a Beagle - whose love of said socks was only slightly less than our Eskimo's - and that is saying something. He is bad - pulls them from drawers, the hamper, our feet - and frequently the dryer is very accommodating - will toss one right into his open mouth when I open the door. Suggest you do not give your pup "own" socks as they are dangerous if chewed. Nothing like a trip to Emergency at midnight with a thread wrapped around a tooth, wrapped around the intenstines. Also, unfortuately, in the pup's eyes, all socks etc. are his/hers. My Eskimo's teeth are stronger than the norm and at 19 lbs. has eaten a Kong. So we have to be careful - I am forever grabbing things from his mouth. Now if only I could something about the litterbugs on the street - getting the brillo pad out was not pleasant.

Dahlia
March 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks. I didn't know if it was a good idea or not. I guess not. I certainly don't want any trips to ER for eating a sock.

amber416
March 15th, 2005, 02:11 PM
When i took my cat into the vet for her abdominal exploration surgery the vet told me that the last time she had performed the surgery it was on a chocolate lab. She removed a sock and a bra from his stomach!!!

Luvmypit
March 15th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Be thankful it's socks. My pup loves to open my closet door and dig in my laundry for undies. That looks really great when she does it when company is over. *shudders* Puppies and their icky habits.

Oh thank god because I thought I was the only one. Capone loves undies. There in his cage and all have holes in them now. Its really nice when they come trotting into the living room with some undies in his mouth while company is over. Love it, not! He also loves bras and socks. Oh and the occasional T shirt.

topaz_n29
March 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I Take an old sock and tie a couple of good knots in it. My puppy loves to chew on it..he alsso plays tug w/our shep/rottie.
Our shep never got a knotted sock..he still takes dads socks out of the laundry (dirty)..he doesn't chew them but has to parade in front of us to show he has it..i usually just make sure there is a dirty bath towel or jeans etc. on the top of the other dirty socks..and keep the socks down at the bottom as it seems it's only socks he like to take..just my thoughts..but whatever works for anyone..thx for listening..Top

Prin
March 15th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Our big doggie LOVES socks. They are the only things that he jumps up for. What we did about it was we made it a job. He takes our socks off at night and now when I have a spare sock, I have trained him to go find the other one. (He hides them and only he knows where they are). He chewed them at the beginning but then he got so excited about his job that that became his focus.

One day while at a family party my aunt was petting him through the balcony railing and he grabbed her sock and pulled it off... Needless to say she was very suprised. Such a trained doggy! :rolleyes:

MIA
March 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Our Dobe LOVES socks so what we did was simply tie a knot in the ones she's allowed to have and she totally knows the difference and won't touch the ones without a knot!!!! She's a smart cookie!! :crazy:

glasslass
March 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
My mom's dog, Corky, will sit and wait when my mom is getting dressed. When she puts down one sock to put on the other, he'll grab it and run. Then he'll stand just out of reach with it dangling from his mouth and his little eyes just dancing with merriment. He loves for her to try to catch him to get it back. She took him to the neighbor's the other day and I guess he felt he was being ignored while she visited because he disappeared into the bedroom and came out with one of the neighbor's socks. Instantly, center of attention! :evil:

Karin
March 15th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I pulled a sock from a Bernese's butt about 2 & 1/2 years ago. She was 14 months old and weighed 90 lbs, socks were used for a toy up until then...better to pull from the butt than an incision in the abdomen. The owners had no idea there was a lost sock until they saw it hanging from her butt. They said they will trust their dryer to lose socks from now on.

Safyre
March 15th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Jsut have to share my sock story...
My wonderful, female cat, haylee, LOVES socks.
She can be found(and heard) nightly in my parents room, caring around my stepfathers socks, howling away, prancing, rolling around with it,bringing it downstairs like a prize.

For my dog... yeah, I have the same problem as another poster... undies. *shakes her head&

Jackie467
March 15th, 2005, 11:31 PM
never had a probelm with my dog taking any of the afore mentioned items. but my mothers dog loves to eat my undies, but he only eats the crotch out :yuck:. he also sucks and when i say suck i means sucks holes in used towels. for christmas "BJ" got me a pack of undies, he ate them all by march. he actully will lift the lid off the hamper to get them.

topaz_n29
March 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM
never had a probelm with my dog taking any of the afore mentioned items. but my mothers dog loves to eat my undies, but he only eats the crotch out :yuck:. he also sucks and when i say suck i means sucks holes in used towels. for christmas "BJ" got me a pack of undies, he ate them all by march. he actully will lift the lid off the hamper to get them.

lol..Jackie ..i have a 12 yr. old Maltese..she does the same thing..also to any jeans or sweats..i have to hang everything up..she will pull them off the bed chair etc.