Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neapolitan Mastiff Rescue

pointerfan
March 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know of a Neapolitan Mastiff rescue in Ontario? I have a friend who owns a male, six years old or so he adopted from a shelter almost four years ago. This dog has developed a skin condition and will need medication for the rest of his life. Unfortunately he is unable to afford the treatment and is considering having the dog euthanized. He loves the dog dearly but feels he has no other choice. I am not able to take the dog myself and was hoping I could help my friend find him a home. He lives in the Brampton area.

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
What is the skin problem, what medication and how much does it cost? Has he discussed a substitute med?

If it's allergies, has he tried different food, or a raw diet? Gotten a second opinion? Discussed a payment plan with the vet? Killing the dog for a skin prob. seems rather drastic.

Trying to find someone dedicated and responsible to take a 6 year old Neo with an expensive skin problem is rather remote.

pointerfan
March 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I think putting the dog down is drastic too. If it were my pet, I would get a second opinion. However they are also expecting their second child and can't afford the long term treatment for the dog. The condition is demodectic mange.

mastifflover
March 14th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Does the dog have mange? That is the most ridiculous and heartless reason for putting a dog down. Along with the other reason they are having a kid well I hope they don't get rid of the first kid if they get pregnant again. It would probably be better to find another home where they realize owning an pet is a lifelong commitment. Sorry for being so harsh but really this is such a lame and common excuse for getting rid of a pet. I would suggest he contact Linda Young of the Canadian Mossler Association or through Baby Blue Kennels she maybe able to find a good home for him. linda@neapolitan.ca this is her email. Please do not let him put this dog down and has he had a second opinion? Some types of mange are totally curable. But I honestly think this is really not going to change there mind this just happened to have good timing (skin problem) because in my opinion they would get rid of the dog anyhow saying they don't have time to give him and so on and so on.

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2005, 07:51 PM
All dogs have demodex mites, but they usually cause no trouble.

When they do manifest like this in an adult dog, there is usually some underlying problem with the immune system, or even cancer.

mastifflover
March 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I have also seen it come out when dogs are very stressed as well

pointerfan
March 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM
The dog was adopted from a shelter. He had been picked up as a stray and was very underweight. The vet said his immune system is compromised as a result of poor nutrition when he was young. I also suspected that the dog could have developed this problem due to stress. Their first child was born this past May. He doesn't think the dog is stressed from the baby but you never know.

mastifflover
March 15th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Most definitely contact Linda if she can't help she will be able to point you in the right direction

pointerfan
March 16th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your responses. I will definitely refer my friend to Linda Young.