Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So Distracted

forestghost
March 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Greetings....
We have adopted a two year old husky/retriever X. We have had him for just over a month and apart from seperation anxiety, he is great in the house. Our problem occurs when we are outside...he just won't pay attention to us. Regular halter or head halter, he still won't listen. He just stops and stares into space. If we try to stand in front of him to look him in the face, he just looks away or moves. This makes it very difficult to walk him...and to train him to walk with a loose leash. It also makes it impossible to get his attention when he sees or hears another dog. He just wants to go see them, and nothing else can get his attention.
HELP...anyone faced the same thing? Any ideas?
Oh, and there isn't an obedience school anywhere in the area...so unless we want to drive him an hour and a half each way, we are doing all the training ourselves.

thanks...oh, and I'm new here so Hi to all! :thumbs up

happycats
March 14th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe he is trained and waiting for a command.
Try using some just to see. try some of the common ones, like heel, come, stay, walk or forward just to see what happens .

Copper'sMom
March 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Have ya tried treats outside to get his attention??

aussiemedogs
March 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Some dogs are very easily distracted and you need to work with them to obtain their attention. I suggest finding a treat that your dog really likes and save these just for training.

When using food through motivational training it makes it easier to get a dog focused (if not food then use a toy that will only be used for training also).

When outside place the food in front of the dogs nose and bring the treat to your mouth and say watch me...try to get your dog focused to look up at you count 5 seconds and give the treat. LOTS of PRAISE afterwards. Continue doing this until the dog starts looking at you, stop at every curb and have the dog sit and try with the food and "watch me".

Another trick you can use is when your dog is focused on the outgoings turn around and start walking the other way, this will teach you and your dog that you are in control of every situation that can arise.

Make your walks fun, I always when walking my guys let them have their time (the first 20 mins) and then after that I haul them in and say my time and make them heel, do their sits and stays, and sometimes will just stand there and have people walk by them and I do my best to get them to focus on me. So far I have 2 dogs that are great at it and another 2 to go!

Safyre
March 14th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Just on the note of TREATS for your dog, either use his food, or CHICKEN hot dogs.
The treats that are sold in stores have way too many calories to be used throughout an entire training regimen!

Train him INSIDE first! Without Distractions.
Also, PINCHER COLLARS work well for the husky part of him. The pincher collars look like tortue devices, but, they just pinch the skin when the dog pulls away from you. You can put it on your own wrist and pull on it to see how it feels on the dogs skin.

puppup11
March 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM
If you have a problem with pulling, the pinch collar will work wonders. But it won't correct the problem, which is that he's not paying attention to you. I use one on my pitbull when we go for a walk because she is so strong and pulls without it, but I'm working on getting her to pay more attention to me in distracting situations which will make it possible for me to not use the pinch collar anymore. Right now I'm just working in the yard with few distractions and she's doing pretty good, we'll walk a few paces on a very short leash and if she starts to pull ahead I'll change direction, and once in a while I'll make her sit and stay out of the blue. One thing that I've noticed about the pinch collar, whenever I put it on her now she'll roll onto her back, like she thinks I'm trying to establish dominance with it. Then she gets even more excited and skittish and harder to control. That's why I'm trying to get away from it.

MegShawnMom
March 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM
A basic command to use is WATCH ME
Take a high valued food-chicken will do(size of your fingernail or hot dog) pace to your dogs nose and put to your right sid eof your face by your eye and say watch me. When he looks at you-even for a split second- say good bboy and offer him the treat. Over repeated trys backup several feet and do agin, this can continue till your 20 feet away, he knows that WATCH ME is a sign he gets a good treat just for looking at you-at a distance he will come up to you-at that point make him sit for the treat, treat and them give him a new command:)