Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

she doesn't eat

andone
March 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I have a 9 month old dog, and when i first got her, she'd eat when her food was there. i feed her twice a day, once in the morning, and once at night. but lately, ive noticed that she won't eat her food at night. she is afraid of the dark, but i have a 60 watt bulb on all night long and 2 fish tanks, so i dont think it;s fear. she's getting skinny and im afraid for her :(
* please don't mention getting her spayed, because i AM working on it, however i get about $50 every 2 weeks, so it'll take another couple of months.

Trinitie
March 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
In another thread you mentioned that your dog stays outside all day - perhaps she's gotten into something that's made her ill. You say she's not spayed, but stays outside. That's a bad combination. If you're not making much money, perhaps a vet will take payments. She needs to have her eating disorder addressed (and needs to be spayed ASAP!). Many vets will consider payment options if you can't afford it all at once.

Copper'sMom
March 14th, 2005, 03:18 PM
If she's not eating at night, maybe she's not hungry!! If she eats fine in the day time, I wouldn't worry. Are you feeding her late at night?? Feed her more with her first feeding if you are concerned. Growing dogs can be lanky in appearance, give her time to fill out. If she appears ill, take her to the vet! She may be eating enough during the day, that she isn't hungry at night!

Just my thoughts!! :)

Trinitie
March 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Copper'sMom: The dog is losing weight. It needs to see a vet as soon as possible. A dog won't starve itself. It will eat when it's hungry. If it's not eating, it needs medical attention.

sammiec
March 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I totally agree with everything Trinitie said.

Prin
March 14th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Before we got my dog, she was thinning out too because her owner would feed her twice/day but the doggy would eat the first portion the next morning. SHe just HATED the food.

How much are you feeding her every day and what food is it? Has her behavior changed otherwise? Is she depressed-looking, lethargic? How long has it been since she stopped eating the second portion? If you feed her a cookie, does she have an appetite for it? How are her stools? Is she vomiting outside? What does she potentially have access to outside? Has she been treated for worms already? Does she have all her shots? If she is outside, this is super important as she may come in contact with rodent, cat, bird fluids.

Personally, I think it's the food that she feels is just not that tasty from what you said. But if you answer the above question, it could be something completely different. I would switch foods (gradually of course) for a food with more meat content (those are usually tastier for doggies).

But if this problem gets worse and worse, go to the vet.

wjranch
March 14th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Try soaking the food in hot water for 10 minutes before offering it to her. Or you could add some canned food to it to make it more appealing to her. Has anyone checked her teeth?? She may have gum disease or abcesses that haven't been addressed. Hard kibble could be painful for her to eat, and she's forcing herself to eat at least one meal a day to survive. :)
Just a thought

mona_b
March 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I too agree with Trinitie.

Please have your pup looked at ASAP..Before it's to late.

happycats
March 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Andone I am sure if you ask around or call all the vets in your area, some kind of financial arrangement could be made. also try calling rescue groups in your area, they may be able to direct you to a vet who will give you a discount.

Please call around and have your dog looked, as this dog depends on you for it's health and well being, so please for your dogs sake do the right thing.