Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Winnie is moving in 7 weeks

Rainy
March 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
:eek: We are moving into a new apartment in 7 weeks and I need tips on how to get Winnie there with the least trauma possible.She was so scared the day I brought her home from her last residance (of course she didn't know me at the time) but she is still nervous about being picked up and carried.The night I brought Winnie home I used a carrier and she peed in it and stunk,upon letting her out my poor winnie was so traumatized she was hyperventilating :mad:
Our drive would be about 8 to 10 minutes.A big blankie with her on my lap? Or a carrier? I have placed the kitty carrier in view for both kitties to sniff and just to keep around so it's not foreign to them and Winnie has sniffed it and shows no scared reaction.Just a sniff or 2 then she walks away.Suggestions please!
Rainy

Rita
March 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
You may want to try putting some treats in the carrier .... after Winnie goes in a few times for the treats and seems comfortable, try gently closing the door for a few minutes then opening it again. Hopefully she will get used to the carrier and won't be so traumatized by it. Once she's in the carrier and comfortable, you could even try just putting the carrier in the car for a few minutes then bringing it back into the house so she nows that there's nothing to be afraid of. When she's O.K. with that, take her for a drive around the block.
I know it sounds like a long process, but hopefully it will make the whole ordeal less stressful for her in the long run.
Good luck!! :thumbs up

Rainy
March 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM
So far we haven't found any treats winnie likes! I can try putting her wet food in the carrier.She LOVES her wet food.Winnie gets half a small tin.The move really isn't far at all but at the moment I currently live in a high rise apartment (8th floor) and I think it would be needless stress to try and get her used to the car.Even in little spurts.Winnie has been through alot in the last 6 months already.She was given away after 8 years of loyalty .Rescue Remedy? How long prior should I start giving it (if I do) before the move?

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Yes, start feeding her in her carrier. That's what I do with skittish or terrified fosters that need to be moved. If you can find a treat she loves (maybe cooked chicken?) that would help too.

Start giving her the rescue remedy now. You can get it at Loblaw's.

I would not transport her on my lap. She may freak in the car and then you'll be in big trouble. You can hold the carrier in your lap, with the front facing you, so you can soothe and talk to her during the trip.

Have a small room in the new home set up so you can put her right in there. Put a radio on to drown out distressing noises.

Winnie is a lucky girl to have ended up with you! :thumbs up

Rainy
March 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Feeding her in the carrier it is.I'll start giving her her dinner when the human kids are in bed so she can relax and explore her carrier. Thanks for the help! I hope winnie thinks she's lucky after the move! LOL :evil:

Prin
March 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Also I wouldn't wash her blankets for a couple of weeks before you move so that she has comforting smells when she gets there.

maddoxies
March 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Winnie may find the packing process stressful too, you can start adding RR to her general drinking water now too.

chico2
March 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Rainy,Winnie will be fine,but I would definetly not keep her on my lap in the car,a carrier is a must.
The move will probably stress out all the animals(maybe not the guinea-pigs :D )but your other cat too,they do not like any changes,but will eventually come around,the person they love is moving too.
I would be extra careful during the packing and moving of furniture and things,so the cats do not panic and run outside..I would keep them in a seperate room and close the door.
My cats,no matter what I do before,will go ballistic when they see the carriers to go to the vet,howl all the way there(5 min away),but are ohhh so happy to get back in the carrier and go home.
Good Luck with the move! Nice to see you back Rainyhttp://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cat67.gif

Rainy
May 4th, 2005, 11:02 PM
:D We're all moved in to our new home and we are ALL loving it! Especially Winnie! Chico you hit the nail on the head! She hated the carrier and Howled the whole way there.It also looked like I was toting a tasmanian devil with the amount of scratching and slamming she was doing trying to get out,BUT the moment I unlocked the carrier she steps out all calm and quiet and curious! Within a half hour she was purring! I think she was really happy to realize the big bad carrier doesn't mean she goes to a new home.I swear I could see a look of calm on Winnie when she saw me and her favorite kitchen chairs :thumbs up

Winnie was also caught sleeping on my youngest sons bed today.Talk about progress in leaps and bounds!I will take new pics as soon as I find the box the camera is packed in. :p

chico2
May 5th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Rainy,nice to hear from you again and I am glad everyone is happy,especially Winnie :D Looking forward to lots of picshttp://bestsmileys.com/camera/2.gif