Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When Is Kitten Season?

JDG
March 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM
My husband and I are starting our research about owning cats, and would like to adopt a Kitten.

When are most Kittens born, is there a 'season' for them?

Thanks

Joycelyn

Shannon83
March 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Spring seen to be the time when all the cats who were brought as x-mas gifts get kick out and then start making more cats, so any time after spring is when things really start picking up for the shelters.

Rita
March 14th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Keep an eye out on any of the Humane Society web sites ... I believe June/July is when they are usually 'overstocked' with kittens.
Personally, I would suggest, as first timers, to get an older cat. First off, they are usually lower maintenance, pre-trained, not as rambunctous as young kittens. Secondly, kittens are usually quickly adopted out so it's nice to give an older cat a forever home. You can also see more of the 'purr'sonality in an older cat. Our first cat was 5 years old when we adopted her and we had her for 15 years. Our current Boyz were about 18 months old when we adopted them and we notice that they are much more playful than our first one ever was!! :crazy:

JDG
March 14th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have nothing but time for a Kitten - I'm not working.

This will be the first cat my husband and I have had together - but this won't be my first cat.

Joycelyn

happycats
March 14th, 2005, 11:02 AM
i don't know where you live, but I know here in southern Ontario, It seems around the end of May is when they are born, so mid July is when they would be ready to go.

Rita
March 14th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't know about anybody else's experience, but I found that when we went looking for our cat(s), they picked us out more so than us picking them :love: .

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Kitten season is all year round. We just don't see them in the winter cause they all die.:(

JDG, there is a litter of kittens coming into the Hudson Vet clinic very soon - maybe next week.

I can get the details for you if you like!!!:)

andone
March 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM
kittens are very easy to litter train, providing that they see their mother using the box...but usually if they don't, it's pretty easy...

mona_b
March 16th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Oh LR let me steal your phrase....LOL

2 kittens are better then one......... :D :p

I adopted my first cat Casper when he was 8 weeks old.He is our little deaf boy...6 months later we adopted a sister for him.Casper is now 18 months,and Winnie just turned a year on the first.And trust me,they were not high matenance at all. :)

If there is anything you need to know,ask away JDG.... :thumbs up