Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

on going sick lab please any comments

dutches94
March 13th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Hello EVERYONE I have a 11 year old black lab her name is dutchy at age 6 and then 7 she had both legs operated on it was her knees giving out I have been giving her SynoviCre every day since those operations and has been do well on her legs, Now at the age 11 she has not been doing very well since last spring about april 2004 she had this bald wet spot on rump I took her to the vet and they said that it was a hot spot maybe caused from a bee sting They gave her a shot for it to dry up and antbiotics. It cleared up then three weeks went by and she had another spot on her rump again took her to the vet again they gave her a shot to stop the itching . they kept coming back
the vet said that it may be from fleas but I treated her with flea stuff He was not sure what the hot spots are coming from when winter came she still was itching I had put a small heater in her house to keep from getting cold as her coat was thin. I sprayed anti itch put on conditionar , went from straw to wood chips for bedding still itches as she puts her rump towards me and goes crazy wanting me to brush her but the bald spots have grown back she has awful dander and her fur falls out easy when I brush her. this itching has gone on for 10 months I took her back to the vet last week as she is losing waight and losing muscle The vet took a blood test and said that her kidneys were starting to go bad and possable thyroid I started her on the hills kd prescription diet and she hardly eats any of the dry but eats the canned and she vommits it up and dont seem to poop very much she ate the ol'roy canned mixed with dry beneful before but seemed to not eat a whole lot but pooped ok and did not vomit. Is her stomach not used to the food? Is it her kidneys causing the itching, Is there somthing else that I can feed her that is just as good as the hills kd that she would eat more of as she seems like she dont like this and she needs to gain weight When I walk her she digs through the snow and wants to eat the dead animal she finds but I take it away so she does HAVE an appitite why dont she eat that food I give her, She seems to eat a lot of snow to IS THIS A SIGNAL of somthing. The vet said he did not think that the itching was from a food allergy. The itching seems to be confined to her back rump and legs,I hope that the vet was not to late letting this itching and the losing weight go on and not taking a blood test until now She still wants to go for walks alot. but acts like she is not very well Sorry for this being so long but I did not want to skip details please any comments are wanted .
Thanks JIm

twodogsandacat
March 14th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I can't offer any advice but I feel so bad for your Dutchy. Hopefully somebody here has some advice on something that maybe your vet hasn't encountered before. Good Luck.

Prin
March 14th, 2005, 12:22 AM
The thing is, Hills may not taste good but if the kidneys are failing, you don't have a choice. Maybe you could ask the vet about putting a gravy on the food. (Iams now makes gravy for dogs). If he's not worried about allergies, maybe this is an option. We used to put a bit of ketchup or margarine on my old Dobie's food when he wouldn't eat. (Margarine because he was skin and bones...)

As for the vomiting, how did you switch foods? Did you do it gradually over a couple of weeks or overnight? With older dogs, sometimes it takes even longer to switch.

About the thyroid, is the dog now on meds for it? Thyroid issues cause hair loss in the areas you mentioned but not itching, as far as I know.

She seems to eat a lot of snow to IS THIS A SIGNAL of somthing.
Not really. They tend to eat snow because they are thirsty or because it's nice and cold, but it's salty and causes more thirst, so they eat more. Does she drink more water at home?

went from straw to wood chips for bedding still itches
Is there any way to get her on a cotton blanket or something? I had rats that were allergic to anything but cotton. They were allergic to wood chips of all kinds, alfalfa, everything. I know it's a different species, but maybe the doggie would do better on something washable and not as, I don't know how to put it.. "natural"? There is an itchy condition caused by sleeping in hay (Pelodera).

Quite frankly, I would get a second opinion from another vet. This one doesn't seem too sure of anything.

dutches94
March 14th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replys

Dutchy was switched overnight to the kd and would not eat the dry food so I bought the Kd antioxidant formula in a can and mixed it in with her food she does eat alot of the dry and vomits the canned Should I go ahead and mix some of the olroy gravy with it to stop her from vomiting as she did not vomit the canned o'lroy and pooped fine. She seems like skin and bones.

I had Dutchys records sent to another Vet and took off work to take her and he said that the your vets test shows that your vet was on the right track. But I felt Like he was blowing me off he didnt hardly look at her even after I showed how much trouble she has been having

I feel so bad as Dutchy lays around skin and bones and losing fur but no matter how she looks and feels she wants to go for walk some days she is walking she seems rely down.

How long does this hills food take to start working and make her feel better?
thanks for all the replys I will keep everyone posted on how she is doing She is such a good dog

Cinnabear
March 14th, 2005, 01:14 PM
All I can say to you is that I feel for you. Who are you suppose to see and get help if these vets aren't giving you the time of day? I'm sorry that you and your dog are going through this.

topaz_n29
March 14th, 2005, 09:10 PM
My black lab had similiar probs at age 12. Bald spot on the rump..vet gave her anibiotic injection, cleaned and shave the spot.
Afew months later all of a sudden she wouldn't eat or drink..if she even drank water she wud throw up..Bak to the vet.. My vet put her on an IV..she was fine..i went to visit her and she was up and wanted to go home..but as soon as vet took her off the IV..it started all ove again. She was on IV for 10 days..fine while she was on it.. my Vet..was into every medical book she had..blood test after test..and over 1,000$ later..my vet finally toll me it was in her best interests(Gypsy's) to let her go to sleep. There was nothing more they cud do..the vet was stumped.
It was so hard..i layed on the floor w/her at the vets office and i was the last thing she saw..it was the best thing for her..Has ur vet taken blood tests? I worry bout sum vets as they seem to think if the dog is old they figure why take the time..labs have a life span of 9 or 10..i got bonus years with my black lab and my yellow lab..Brisco was w/us for 11 yrs.. he had a massive heart atta cck at home..he was on heart meds for a year..sry to ramble here..but try another vet.. :grouphug:

Prin
March 14th, 2005, 10:29 PM
You should have switched her food really gradually (like over at least a week). If you give her a bit of the old food, does she digest it? If she does, I'd go back to the old food for a couple of days and then switch her very gradually. Doggies are very sensitive to food changes and they get very sick if you don't respect that.

It will take at least a month to see the full effect of the new food.

happycats
March 14th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Our dog (was 11 or 12 at the time) had a big spot on her rump by her taill, she always chewed at it, the vet gave us an antibiotic spray that had a very bitter taste, so the dog would stop chewing, it did the trick, but we had to do it every so often as she would still chew at it at times even when it was all healed up.

My brother in laws BC/X has a spot on her leg that she chews on too, and she is 11 years old also. He also got the bitter antibiotic, and every once in a while he has to put that cone thing on her head to get her to stop.

Maybe it's somethig that just comes with age? :confused:

dutches94
March 14th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Took dutchy back to the vet today and he tested her kidneys and said that the reading was alittle better but to keep her on the hills kd and put a little gravy on the dry so she eats it and give her 10mgs of pepso as the food may be upsating her stomach .The vet wants me to start her on thyroid pills . He told me that all the itching was a mystery to him but to treat her kidneys now .So they never found what was going on with your lab Gypsy that is so sad :sorry:

topaz_n29
March 14th, 2005, 10:56 PM
ty Dutches..i hope ur dog does better..and give you more years of joy :grouphug:

mesaana
March 14th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Actually, the presence of itchiness (pruritus) is found often in human kidney failure patients (my father included). I'll have to look at it for pets but it might be the same.

Lyne

Bearsmom
March 14th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Get the vet to test your dog for allergies to food! Our lab mix gets hotspots in the summer, and dandruff in the winter-turns out he's allergic to beef and beef byproducts, and it manifests itself in skin problems. Hotspots are usually indicative of an allergy of some type.

Bear moped a lot, too when he had his hotspots as it's really quite painful to have weeping open sores on the skin.

dutches94
March 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I gave Dutchy her regular food tonight and she did digest it and acted really good I am going to give her regular food for a couple days like Prin said and
really gradually start the kd diet .It really makes sence to me doing this .I dont know why the vet had me switch over night to the kidney diet.I think that did make her sicker.

Thank you all for all you comments It is so good to have all of your help.

Jim

dutches94
April 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Duchess was vomiting all her food so I took her to the vet and they put a IV on her for 48 hours and fed her kd she has been home for a while and eating and lots of energy I have given her a few IVS myself and cutting back on them to see how she does.

JIm

Loraxp
April 3rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
I feel for ya Jim - our old guy went through something similar... but different (you know what I mean)... our Lorax had cancer.

First changing the food gradually is a MUST. I am stunned that your vet failed to mention this!!

Next, if you feed one meal a day change it to 2 smaller meals (to make it less stressful on her stomach). This is what we did with our guy when he got too sick to eat his usual meal.

Does she throw up the snow she eats? This is what our guy did when he started going off of his food - too cold on his tummy (we think).

I think that increased water consumption is a fact that goes along with kidney trouble. Try to watch her when she drinks - don't let her drink too much at once as this could make her vomit too. Take away the water and then give it back in a few minutes. My guy would wait to drink untill he was SO thirsty and then over do it and get sick.

Finally, if your guy does not like the special vet food check and see if there is another BRAND of food that makes a special KIDNEY DIET. Call other vet clinics and inquire. Our cat is on a vet food for her bladder and we had a choice between 2 brands... I really hope you do too!!

Remember - no treats!! She needs to gain weight, but they will throw off the specially balanced kidney diet! If you find a vet food she likes give her kibbles as treats!

OH! I just thought of something that might also help... our schnoodle (Petey) sometimes decides he does not want his food. We sit on the floor with him by his bowl and make him do a few tricks for "treats" taken from his bowl - makes him feel like his dinner is a reward. After about 5 "sits", "downs", "overs", "fives", we make him do a few more then drop the kibble into the bowl so he has to retrieve his "reward". Before long he is chowing down. :thumbs up

I hope that this might help a tiny bit. Warm wishes through this hard time. :(

dutches94
April 5th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Duchess has been eating well and looks forward to her walks she seems to be peppy I have been giving her the kd canned and dry kd .I have been giving her food in 4 meals a day she has not vomited any up.I have not been giving any IVs latley .I do have one on hand if she starts feeling down again. She likes the snow to eat but has not thrown it up. Really the only time she started vomiting was when the vet had me switch over to the kd over night after a blood test showing she had kidney trouble. Duchess has been on the kd for 3 weeeks now and seems to be helping her. My vet talked as Duchess would not gain any weight back but she looks as if she has gained some back.

Thanks for all the replys Jim