Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worried

agtrfan
March 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I'm concerned about my dog (lab/sheppard mix "Samantha"). She was abused before I took her in. I've had her for 2 years and she is still very nervous around people. But that is not the issue of my concern. Samantha is a very loving dog that never cries. Today she seemed very listless, she usually runs around and plays. I noticed that she had a tender area on her tail. I felt around to make sure that it wasn't broken or that their wasn't a sore on it. As I was touching her tial she yelped and laid on her stomach. She started panting and shaking. It didn't seem as if her tail was broken. I brought her inside and she tried to lay down on her bed and the same thing happened. She started to pant and shake for at least 15 minutes. Durring that time she would not drink water . She has just now stopped and has fallen to sleep. I love my dog and I am worried about her. Any advice would be appreciated.

mona_b
March 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
The only advice I have is to take her to a vet so they can check her out.

Good Luck. :)

Karin
March 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Please call your vet or any vet tonight, their are many in your area that see emergencies after regular hours.
Panting and shaking are also signs of pain. She could have injured her hip, leg or just about anywhere if she romped a tad to hard outside.

Please keep us posted.

Prin
March 13th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I agree with Karin. If you palpate an area and you get a scream, the doggie needs medical attention.

agtrfan
March 14th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I took Samantha to the vet this morning and they could not find anything wrong. They gave her some anti-inflamitories and she is back to her playfull happy self.

coppperbelle
March 14th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Sounds like cold tail. Has she exercised excessively in the last few days? Is she holding her tail when she walks or is just sort of hanging there?