Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating away from the bowl

Safyre
March 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
My dog has an interesting way of eating.... she takes a few pieces from her bowl, and walks around the room eating them.
We thought at first, that she wanted to be near 'the pack', and we moved her bowl to where the family normally is at her dinner time, but it didn't stop, she still walks and eats.
It's not a huge problem, more just funny. We just laugh when she does it anymore.
We feed her only 1 1/2 cups of food per day. She gets half in the morning, and half at night. We have tried to take up the food, only feed her once a day, but she still does it, no matter how hungry she is, she still walks and eats. This food amount is down from what we were feeding her, my mtoher was feedingh er over 2 1/2 cups per day (very much of the mindset that there should always be food in the bowl. I have corrected my MOM's behavioural problem in regards to that! lol)
Any other suggestions?

nymph
March 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM
My puppy Diego does that when he's about full: he'd take one kibble and walks over to his bed and eats it there. I also find if I stay close by his food dish, i.e. pull up a chair right beside his dish, then he's more attentive in eating his food.

db7
March 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I have been told this is more often standard behaviour for dogs that are free fed.

Safyre
March 14th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I know this is a behaviour for free fed dogs, but she is not free fed, nor has she ever been. I read every book I could find on dog training, and got all the advise my breeder could give before getting her.
I took all the advise... kennel training. obedience training, specific feed times...
she's just a silly lil girl

mona_b
March 14th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Hmmmmm,all my dogs have been free fed and never did this.

My friends one Bichon does this...As long as Misty is eating,it's no big deal to them..... :D

How long have you had her?Has she always done this?

Safyre
March 15th, 2005, 09:53 AM
She started doing it immediately... we orignally thought she was bringing her food to where the family was, as sort of a 'pack' thing. wanting to be near the pack.
We moved the food dish.. and she still does it.
Not a huge problem, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight!

Dahlia
March 15th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Did you get her as an adult or a puppy? The reason I ask is maybe she was used to sharing a bowl with another dog who didn't want to share and she had to steal a few pieces at a time and walk away and eat them, then come back for more. Dunno, just a thought.

heidiho
March 15th, 2005, 10:08 AM
My best friends chuiua{ok i cannot spell that]takes one piece of kibble from the bowl in the kitchen and goes under the couch and eats it,i think it is totally adorable...

Safyre
March 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Dahlia - got her as a pup at 7 1/2 weeks from the breeder.
She's actually real gooda bout her food, allowing you to stick your hands in the dish when she is grabbing peices from it and what not.
*shrugs* I just havea crazy lil dog that feels she needs to walk off the calories right away! :p

Luvmypit
March 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM
My boy actually throws his in the air and tries to catch it. Or shoves it across the floor and pounces on it. Sometimes he eats normally and then other times he brings it to his doggy bed and drops a whole bunch from his mouth and then eats them accordingly. I think its just whatever works for them. As long as there eating I don't think there is a problem. I was a little concerned because I never had a dog play so much with his food. But hes having fun so I figured as long as hes eating who cares how he does it.

Dahlia
March 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Dahlia - got her as a pup at 7 1/2 weeks from the breeder. Well, there goes my theory. I wouldn't know, I have a beagle and they scarf everything down the minute you set it in front of them.

heidiho
March 15th, 2005, 01:41 PM
That is so cute,i think there is nothin wrong with them eating how they want unless thet are aggressive about it,,,

Jackie467
March 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM
My dog does the same thing. No matter where we put her bowl she takes a few peices and walks to another part of the room and drops them on the floor then eats them (actully she usually eats them on the couch). and she does this everytime. at fist I thought that she just didn't like eating the food on the tile floor so i moved the dish to the carpet but it didn't help. funny thing is that she will eat from my mothers dogs bowl quite quickly without moving but not from her own. weird thing is that it's the same food, and if we put her food in his bowl and he's not around to steal it she still eats quickly. yet not out of her own bowl even when BJ tries to steal her food out of her bowl. I even went out and bought her the same bowl he has to see if that was it, didn't fix it. I'v never free fed her because if I left the food down BJ would scarf it, he's overwieght and is on a diet. it doesn't bother me, but it bothers my mother because Candi's fav place to eat her kibble in on the couch, and she's really messy. Moms not too thrilled over the crumbs. :rolleyes:

Safyre
March 15th, 2005, 03:27 PM
jackie -
I'm glad to hear that my dog is not the only one that does this.
I wasn't worried about the beviour, just curious about it. She's eating, and shes a lil piglet, so it works out fine

Prin
March 15th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe the doggy just feels secure enough about its food that it doesn't have to scarf it down or be possessive of a full bowl. My friend's springer spaniel used to do that too, but only when they were eating at the table. I thought it looked like showing off. Like look how much food I have too. My dogs are the type to eat faster if you approach...

puppup11
March 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM
My dog won't eat until you leave the room - she'll sit there and drool but won't touch it even if you try to hand feed her. Go figure.

Copper'sMom
March 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM
My boy actually throws his in the air and tries to catch it. Or shoves it across the floor and pounces on it. Sometimes he eats normally and then other times he brings it to his doggy bed and drops a whole bunch from his mouth and then eats them accordingly.

LOL My boy does this too! :p He always "plays" with his food before he eats it!! Every morning when he gets his vitamins, it's the same routine! Until it lands somewhere he can't reach it, then he barks to let me know to get it for him!

yvonnem
March 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM
My previous mastiff would take a mouthful of food then carry it into the living room so she could eat with the rest of the family. So I moved her dish into the living room. But then the cat kept sneaking food out of the dish and every time the cat went into the dish the Bo would charge over and chase the cat away. So then we started teaching the cat to leave the dog food alone, but that was no fun for Bo. She would take a bit of food and carry it over to the cat and spit it out on the floor in front of him.

She was the first dog I ever had that played with her food. Now the mastiff puppy is the same way, but the foster mastiff gulps it down as soon as it hits the bowl.

I think it's a personal idiosyn --- ideosinc -- a personal preference on the part of the dog. As long as (s)he is getting enough to eat and you can put up with stepping on sharp kibble in your bare feet, everything's good!

Safyre
March 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
no kibble left from Justice... beleives me, she eats as if we don't give her enough.
Her weight gain over the past few mnoths, tell us otherwise. lol