Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice for someone getting a pit bull?

Dahlia
March 13th, 2005, 12:22 AM
My sister has a 2 yr old son and they want to get him a puppy for his birthday, next weekend. She has been talking about getting a pit bull from someone she knows, who has a litter of puppies. They are actually 3/4 pit and 1/4 boxer. I have told her repeatedly that I don't think it's a good idea and I have a really bad feeling about it. Not that I have anything against pits, but neither of them has any experience training dogs, and I seriously doubt they would seek any help from a trainer. When it comes to dogs, I'm usually all for it, but I know it takes a responsible owner to have a pit bull and they do not fit the bill. I hate to say it but it's true. I doubt they would even get him neutered, if it's a male. But my sister's bf says he likes pits and has always wanted one, so they're getting it.

Any advice?

Jackie467
March 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
pitbulls and boxers are not first time owner dogs. they require extesive training (so do all dogs but pits and boxers are high energy and stubborn so it takes a bit more). I love both breeds but the truth is i'm not brave enough to get a boxer, they are HIGH energy and i know i wouldn't be able to give it the exercise needed to keep it happy, and i don't have a child i couldn't imagine keeping up with one while having a 2 year old child, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. ( i just don't have that kind of energy) maybe if you mentioned how much energy this pup will have and how your friend will have to care for a todler who is just now getting to his energy stage and a high energy pup she'll give it a second thought. and remind them this dog will NOT be their sons but their own. also if they have never had a dog tell them to make sure he isn't allergic first, sometimes people will get a dog just to realize their baby is allergic. Good luck, hopefully you can talk them into a better dog for a first time owner.

mafiaprincess
March 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I've been told pits and rotties aren't really for first time owners. In being a first time dog owner, I think what I've been told is right, but not an absolute. I was thinking about adopting an amstaff, but now after my experience with our 6 month old cocker spaniel I think it was better to start with an easier breed. If I was to have had an amstaff as our first pup, I think it would have been a more difficult experience. Not that this helps. They can be increadibly loving with children I've been told.

Dahlia
March 13th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I told her about the high energy thing, and she knows first hand. When I was still with my ex he brought home a boxer pup after I had told him we didn't need a dog at that time. The two kids were little and we both were working full time. I did not want the responsibility whatsoever. But he did it anyway, and swore HE would take care of her and do everything that needed to be done. Well, he got as far as bringing her in and setting her on the kitchen floor and that was it. I'm not sure he ever even touched the dog again. She was the most obnoxious thing! We had to keep her crated during the day which I hated, but had no choice. Then I'd take her out when I got home and walk her, but when my (ex) was home and I wasn't, he would just let her out of the crate instead of carrying her directly outside, and let her walk around the house and OOOPS, she did her business in the house, no need to take her out now. She also totally destroyed a Christmas tree. I'm not talking just breaking ornaments, she would grab the branches and shake them, knocking the whole tree down and she eventually just ripped it apart. All this was done when I wasn't home and he was supposed to be watching her. HMMM, wonder where my kids get it?

Anyway, my sister lived with us during this whole time so she knows how boxers can be. She probably just thinks that one was bad.

If you wonder what became of the dog, we got divorced soon after that (had nothing to do with the dog of course), and he kept her for a while, then gave her back to the breeder he got her from. She's doing well and is still with the breeder.

Sorry, long story and I kinda got off topic but...

pollito
March 13th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Please, please talk them out of getting a pit bull especially if they are not planning to train him properly and getting him fixed, I know I should not be saying that right now that so many pit bulls are in need of a good home, but the last thing we need are not very responsible owners. The child is too young, and apparently the guy wants a pit bull just for the sake of it, the chances are that he will give enough attention to the dog are slim to none. Tell them to look into a smaller breed or more gentle breed, or tell them to wait until a child is little bit older, so when they get a dog, their son will be more understanding and respectful of animals. However if you can't talk them out of it, at least try to explain to them the importance of doing some research on the breed and spend a little bit more money (it will be worth it) and get a puppy from a reputable breeder, so at least they will know the dog's bloodlines and will know what to expect when a dog grows up. Because they will not know what they will get from the puppies from a backyard breeder, they might grow into giant love machines, but there are chances that they might grow to become fairly aggressive large dogs. If they do get a dog ( doesn't matter if it will be a pure American Pit Bull terrier, those pit bull mixed pups or any other dog) tell them to get the dogs fixed as it will affect their behaviour later on in life, tell them to get the puppy through training and lots of socialization. If they are not too careful about choosing the right dog and getting him through proper training, not only will they be putting this breed in danger (which it is already in) they will also be playing with the lives of other people, their own and their son's. Doesn't matter what breed they choose bites can leave nasty scars and the dog just MUST go through training and socialization.

If the money is the issue, and they still get the puppy, I think THS will be more than happy to get the puppy fixed for free. And the best present for a kid would be to get some money between family and few close friends and pay for pup's training process.

topaz_n29
March 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I too had a white Boxer..yes they need a lot of attention and are strongwilled..they need lots of excercise..they are very strong dogs..They have to know who their alpha is..somehting young children cannot do.
Spirit did turn out to be a wonderful dog. We had her till she was 11..well past her life span. I am 60 now and i wud have loved to get another Boxer..but i don't have the strength to go thru training agin..so we got our
Shih Tzu..just the right pace for me..lol he is 9 weeks old..we also have a
Maltese
a poodlex
a shep/rottie..just my thoughts..thx 4 listening

Lucky Rescue
March 13th, 2005, 09:56 AM
IF they want a pit bull, I suggest they get a purebred. Pit bull mixes can be iffy, and may not have the natural submission to people that purebreds have.

ANY dog they get should be neutered and trained. Pit bulls are typically very good with kids and very tolerant, but a strong, enthusiastic young dog of any breed can knock kids down accidentally.

Pit bulls are very smart and easy to train, but like any dog, they need socialization and can be aggressive towards other dogs on maturity. They are true "people dogs" and should never be left out in a kennel or tied out.

The best thing would be to wait til the child is 5 or 6 years old. If they insist on one now, they should contact a rescue and get a dog whose personality is already known and who has some training, even if only housetraining.

There are TONS of wonderful, sweet pit bulls dying in shelters and waiting for homes in rescue.

Prin
March 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM
What about labs? I know so many labs that live for their kids (not as much as newfs but supposedly money is an issue...).