Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you keep a cat away from the dog door?

nikki-d
March 12th, 2005, 10:38 PM
HI, we have two cats and two dogs and we just put a dog door in the sliding glass door to the backyard. We are just wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding how to keep one of our cats away from the dog door. We are afraid that if he goes outside he will jump the fence and get away. We were hoping we could figure something out so we could leave the dog door unlocked while we aren't home, which is kinda the purpose we got it for:) any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks, Nikki-d

Dahlia
March 13th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Cool, you can put a dog door in a sliding glass door? That's the only kind of door we have to our backyard and I didn't think it could be done. Where'd you get it? Did you hire someone to put it in?

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. I know cats are a lot harder to train than dogs. I have heard, though, that cats don't like citrus, and if you put lemon, lime, orange, etc... peels where you don't want the cats to go it will keep them off. I don't know if it works or not but maybe you could put a big circle of them all around the dog door? I know it sounds like a mess, and I don't even know if it work. Or maybe there's something you could spray there that would do the same thing. Just a thought.

nikki-d
March 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Dahlia, we got the door at PetsMart, it is hard to explain but I will try, it is a glass panel, that is the same height as the patio door, that fits right on to the tracks of your sliding door that has a dog door on the bottom. it takes up about a foot of the opening of the door though. The sliding part of the door now meets the panel that you just put in with the dog door in it. The sliding door then meets the new panel to lock and everything, we were amazed when we saw it:) If you were to get one though, I would probably get another lock for the sliding door, like the ones you can get at Home Depot, that screw into the bottom part of the frame cause the lock on the dog door panel is not that secure.
Thanks for the advice about the citrus, I will give it a try.... Nikki-d

raingirl
March 13th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I know there are doors you can get that are electronic. They are activated by a receiver you put on your dogs collar so only the dog can use it.

Otherwise, I don't think there is any way to block the cats from using it.

glasslass
March 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Just speaking from experience, an electronic door would not have kept T'Grr from using the doggie door. He used to wait for Den-Den to go out and then walk along underneath him right out the doggie door.

Dahlia
March 15th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Nikki-d that is so cool. I might have to look for one of those once I get Sophie completely housetrained.

nikki-d
March 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice, but it seems that Dawg, our cat we don't want going outside, doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the dog door. for now anyway, we are going to keep and eye on him and just lock the dog door if we aren't going to be home for a long time. We are very surprised that he doesn't seem to care at all that the other three are going in and out, he seems to like to just watch them from the safety of the top of the couch, hehe.

chico2
March 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Nikki,for now the cat is probably just watching,a little nervous about the new thing.But don't be too confident he won't one day figure it out and dash.
He's probably also a little afraid of going out right now,but curiosity will take over one day :D
So,be careful..

nikki-d
March 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
chico2, thanks for the advice:) it makes alot of sense, we aren't even sure that if Dawg, the cat, got out that he would even try to jump the fence, but I think we are going to try to get an electronic door to put in our existing door, just to be a little more safe, thanks, nikki-d