Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

distemper worries

bremarie03
March 12th, 2005, 10:07 PM
We adopted our puppy, Darcy, 5 days ago. She's an approximately 8 wk old lab/mix. Yesterday we noticed a small sore on her lip, and we thought she probably bit herself while playing (she's a nipper). Today I noticed a dry nose, some coughing, and discharge from her nose.

Could this be distemper? We have a vet appointment on Monday, but I'm wondering if that's soon enough. We will all be devastated if she is seriously ill, and I want to do what's best for her. I hope I'm worrying over nothing, but I really am worried.

twinmommy
March 12th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Hi and Welcome.

Congrats on the new puppy!! :)
Does she have any other symptoms such as fever, diarrhea, nausea? Any discharge frome the eyes?

I'm not a vet, but if she has no other symptoms than what you mentioned, I'm guessing it's kennel cough. Common in puppies. Watch for any green mucus, if not, Monday's o.k.

let us know how it goes. :thumbs up

bremarie03
March 13th, 2005, 02:11 AM
She does have a bit of eye gunk. No other symptoms you mentioned. She's eating and drinking fine, and when she's awake is plenty playful. I hope she's okay.

Thanks for your reply. After I already posted, I realized I probably should have posted in the Health forum, but didn't see it at first...

bremarie03
March 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM
vet said she has very mild kennel cough, and her lungs are clear. YaY!!!!!

So happy. Wanted to share the good news and not leave anyone hanging....

SnowDancer
March 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Happy that your pup is okay. We had our Eskimo vaccinated a few months ago for Kennel Cough since he goes to a socialization class once a week. Kennel Cough has been rampant in Toronto this year, but of course it works much like the flu vaccine. But still a precaution. Our Beagle had serious kennel cough in 1976 - no treatment was available at that time - but he eventually got better. But the memory of it sure made me have our Eskie vaccinated. Hope pup gets better soon.