Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pimple/bump on dog's cheek, should I be worried?

animalsrock
March 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Hi, I am new but I've read these boards before when I've had other questions. My aunt's pekingese has a bump/pimple on her cheek that is round and about 1/2 cm in diameter. It looks crusty like it is a pimple or something... but I am worried. Should we take her to the vet? :confused:

Prin
March 12th, 2005, 09:17 PM
If things worry you, you should call your vet. The vet will be the only one who can reassure you. That said, what I've found is that it could be a benign wart-like growth (papilloma), or an infected hair follicle (if it's small as you described). It could also be a reaction to something (allergen or irritant). Bumps sometimes are indicative of cancer (very rarely, no reason to panic..).

Better ask a vet if you worry about it.

topaz_n29
March 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
My Maltese has 1 under her chin and 1 on her head.
I had other dogs w/them ..they were just warts..nothing to worry about..but let vet know and keep an eye on it for enlargement or bleeding.

topaz_n29
March 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM
How old is the dog?

animalsrock
March 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Thank you for your advice :) , I feel better about it now - I worry a lot. I will keep a watch on it and if anything changes I will bring her to the vet.

animalsrock
March 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
She is 8 years old but we got her when she was about 3 so not sure exactly.

topaz_n29
March 12th, 2005, 09:41 PM
My vet told me this does happen more in older dogs..is why i asked..like i said tho..better safe than sorry..chek w/vet and keep an eye on it :grouphug: