Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat wants me to touch his food!

niki1103
March 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
:confused: One of our cats has the strangest habit. Once every few days, he will come to us, meowing and kissing us and obviously wanting SOMETHING very badly. By trial and error, we've discovered that this means that he's hungry, but he wants us to touch his dry food first. If we just run our fingers through the kibble and rearrange it a bit, he'll settle down and eat happily. This cat is a cheerful, easy-going guy, a real couch potato, and this is his only idiosyncracy. Has anyone out there ever seen this behaviour before?

babykitty
March 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I have never heard of this kind of behaviour, but my parents cat does everything the same except you don't touch his food......you have to watch him eat orr else he keeps coming back to you until you stand and watch him eat.

topaz_n29
March 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
my aunts cat..Rambo did the same thing..it was a ritual..she wud have to stir it w/her finger, then run her hand all the way down his back up his tail and say nice Rambo..lol only way he wud eat

twinmommy
March 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Yup!!
Both my cats want my fingers in their food, just prior to our "pre-meal back rub" :p :crazy:

Wouldn't ya just love to be a cat sometimes? :rolleyes:

dmc123
March 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Our don't make us touch it, but here is what they do. They get dry Cat Chow, and bite of the edges....you know it is shaped kind of like stars?...after they have all eaten the parts they want, all those little pieces are left in the bowl. They love for us to bring a new scoop..... LOL

Eventually we just toss out the little "kibbles" we know they aren't going to eat them.

Cats can be a funny bunch!

Katze
March 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I have noticed that a mother cat will poke her nose in the food when her kittens are weaning, to entice them. Maybe some cats are looking for maternal reassurance, in wanting us to touch their food. Anyway that is a theory I came up with in regards to this behavior in a couple of my cats. :confused:

niki1103
March 18th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Katze, I think you might be onto something there. Seems logical.